Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently installed a CB, Firestik, along with a quick disconnect - which was working great because the antenna is to high for my garage and I live in a theft-prone part of Atlanta.

All was working great until this weekend, while driving through Summerville I heard a couple 'pops' from the back and what sounded like something hitting the car. I pull over to find that the little nub that holds the antenna in place is no longer attached to the quick-release and the antenna is gone.

Thankfully I was able to locate the antenna along the road (bright red tip helped a ton, lol) but I was pretty surprised that the quick-release basically fell apart.

I ended up threading #10-24 screw into the quick release which has worked pretty well, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this or if it's just luck of the draw.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had a similar experience with my quick disconnect. I now keep a small wrench in the FJ and can very quickly attach and remove my CB antenna without the disconnect. I also notice that my transmitting/receiving is much better -- the antenna seems to maintain a better connection on very bouncy trails. IMO, for my use, the quick disconnect is more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have installed a bunch and never seen a failure. I use the INTERNAL locking one from Firestik. Accessories unlimited makes an EXTERNAL locking one that I have heard of failures on.

This is the AU unit:

This is the Firestik unit:

The PN's are almost identical and unforunately, some vendors market the AU unit as Firestik. There is about a $5 difference in price on them as well.

Not sure which one you have, but that is my .02. :)

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
x2 the one with external nub/lug/little POS that fails is useless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, this is an external locking nub, not an internal one - looks very much like the top one, or did prior to my drilling it out and adding a screw ;)

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Yeah I got the internal Firestik one and I took a good look at it before installing. There's really nothing that can break on it. Both sides are machined, the external (removeable with antenna) piece has a machined "stud" and the fixed piece, a machined "j" groove. The spring in between ensures a snug fit and keep the stud locked in the "j" channel. I'd think youd break your antenna before this disconnect

·
Registered
832 Posts
Antennas don't have to be super tight to stay. I only tighten them by hand and often they will vibrate themselves tighter, but I have never lost an antenna.

DX FJC

I'm on my phone because I'm screwing off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts