Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my personal CB setup, a BigBill Combo, from CB radio store. I thought the whole kit would make a nice summit prize, as this was something I really missed having at the last years summit. So I emailed CB radio store, who's service and help first time around was top notch, to see if they would hook me up once again.

Not only did they set me up with another combo for Ellis Precision to donate to the Summit (sans Bandi mount, but working on that... hopefully) but they offered a 5% discount on their entire store to all FJ Cruiser Forums members!

All you have to do is type in the coupon code FJCRUISER when checking out, and you save some mod money!

CB Radio Store Home Page

Thanks to Frank and his staff. I know I'll be back yet again... ;)

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Hey, that's fantastic!

Glad to hear some vendors still like to treat their customers right! I'm thinking of getting a new antenna, and I'll drop by their site.

Thanks, Joel...

Edit: Just bought a K40 base-mount whip antenna from them. They've got decent prices (the forum discount definitely was nice), but the shipping is a little high. Anyway, needed a good antenna, and I've used K40's in the past with great success.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd already ordered everything once so I just reordered. I can post up the list with part numbers if you'd like. Everything but the Bandi Mount!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 K1A Stud
1 SS3M Med. Duty Spring
1 K8R18 Coax
1 PD7SWR SWR Meter w/ 3' coax
1 K4R Stud
1 75WXST CB Radio

Hope this helps. It is in the Bigbill Combo thread I linked to in more detail as well. You can get cheaper alternatives but you get what you pay for, and their prices are already good.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1 K1A Stud
1 SS3M Med. Duty Spring
1 K8R18 Coax
1 PD7SWR SWR Meter w/ 3' coax
1 K4R Stud
1 75WXST CB Radio

Hope this helps. It is in the Bigbill Combo thread I linked to in more detail as well. You can get cheaper alternatives but you get what you pay for, and their prices are already good.
I confess to being a total n00b regarding CBs, so would anything change other than the model number if I got a different Cobra radio?

- Solo

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I confess to being a total n00b regarding CBs, so would anything change other than the model number if I got a different Cobra radio?

- Solo
Not if it takes the same connectors. There are different types, but I don't know what they are. I stuck with Bill's recommendation to avoid me screwing things up, but if you ask I am sure they can answer your questions.

What radio you looking at?

·
Registered
447 Posts
A good choice, I'm sure, but where will you put it in the FJ?

The lack of space for a clean install is what had me sighted on the 75WXST or Midland equivalent.
I eventually plan to have a comm station that will be mounted along the dash in front of the passenger seat and extending towards, but down, from the radio area. Somewhat near the front cupholder, if I can do it without interfering with the 4wd shift lever. I can also take advantage of the area above the front windshield if I can figure out a way to mount a bar across there.

- Solo

·
Registered
447 Posts
also do you have direct links to that stuff I'm searching for those names and nothing comes up.
K8R18
K1A
SS3H
PDC7
K4R
FS4

Search is case sensitive. Using the radio Joel listed, I get a price of $187.33 w/ a 4' FireStik II antenna before any discount.

Not sure how they compare to Walcott.

Hope that helps.

- Solo

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fjoel

what was you total for that list and how do those parts compare to the walcott ones
I bought only the good stuff, made by Firestik etc. So the parts should be the exact same.

You can get cheaper stainless springs, connectors, cables, etc, but I don't recommend it. Not with a CB...

As for the search, I know they are currently revamping the site and adding over 400 products, so you may have to use the side bar to navigate and find what you need. The part numbers are in the titles though...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here I am trying to help you out by freeing up some time so you can get back to the mill to finish my handles and what do I find? Slacking! Git back there! ;)

- Solo

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here I am trying to help you out by freeing up some time so you can get back to the mill to finish my handles and what do I find? Slacking! Git back there! ;)

- Solo
Hehehe. Your handles are finished. But they are kind of ugly... they looked better on my computer screen. I am waiting to get a Fourtreks mount in to make sure they work before I send them your way. I'll take some pics when the mount arrives if it works. If it doesn't, a friend who initially hinted to me that the are definitely a function over form type of item (aka ugly), suggested I just make you some clamps that fit my current handle design. And there came the big "DUH." I sometimes fail to see the simple solutions...

·
Registered
447 Posts
... the are definitely a function over form type of item (aka ugly)...
Either one is fine :) I am completely a fan of form follows fit follows function (try saying that 10 times fast) so it is not a problem.

BTW, I might have forgotten to mention, one of the reasons for the round handles was so that I could mount the FourTreks in almost an angle to take advantage of the other parts I will be getting to complete this.

- Solo

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Is it just me or are their shipping charges really high??

50 bucks for everything listed?

My bad I was looking at USPS charges
UPS wasn't much better, for me. I went with USPS, as they were cheaper. But, yeah, I think they make a little on shipping, too...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts