Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i received my Cobra 75WX/ST the other day and couldn't help but get excited to put it in.

I have not purchased my antenna or Coax cable but wanted to install the CB so i could figure out how to run my coax once i purchase it.

Well i found a spot under the center console (for the CB) and ran the power through an Add-A-Circuit at the in car fuse panel and grounded out to the shifter assembly mount.

Now i wanted to test it out to see that it was at least getting power...no luck.

took it out and hooked it up straight to the battery in order to eliminate anything in between...no luck.

Now my questions is...do i need to hook up the coax and antenna in order to "complete" the circuit? i don't know anything about CB Radios so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
493 Posts
No you don't.

Just hooking up power to it you should get the radio to power up.
First thing is to make sure that your polarity is correct.
RED = POSITIVE BLACK = NEGATIVE
Then check the in-line fuse to see if the fuse is blown also.

I'd start there.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I don't own one of these, but there might be a failsafe built into the radio that makes it impossible to operate unless there is an antenna connected to it.

Before you do anything else hook it up to a properly tuned antenna system to see if it works.

Mike :jester:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
did you put a fuse in the add-a-circuit?????
Jax':wave:

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
To some extent, the quality of the CB's signal will be determined by the quality of the electrical source, so it's often a good idea to wire directly to the battery instead of through an existing wire system. The most common cause of unexplained electrical failure on new additions is ground failure. Going directly to the battery or a chassis ground directly adjacent to it is the best way to insure quality conduction.

I strongly doubt there's any sort of mechanism to disable the radio without an antenna and feed line. That's not supposed to complete a circuit anyhow. If the two conductors in the feed line have electrical continuity, you've shorted out the antenna and THATS a problem. Radio works by creating an oscillating electromagnetic field between two poles. The antenna is one and the car body is the other. That's where the two conductors in the coax go. There should not be continuity between the two.

If there is no problem with a missing or expended in-line fuse in the power wires for your radio, and you've tested the thing by fastening the red wire to the battery positive and the black one to battery negative, and the radio still won't power on, then there's a problem with the radio.

The only thing left at that point would be to double check with a volt meter that there is 12 V of potential between the red and black wires when they're attached to the battery.

If you can get it to work that way, then your installation isn't working... and you've probably got a bad ground connection.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i did put a fuse in the add a circuit, there are 2 slots. should i have put two of them in there? should i have put a higher circuit?
I think one is for the add-a-circuit and the other is for the slot your borrowing the power from. Make sure you have your key in the on position, if you used a switched fuse slot, or move to another slot. ( the one you were on may have not had power to it.
I just re-read your original thread. If you hooked it up straight to the battery, with a good ground, and the in-line fuse was good, and nothing happened, it must be the radio!
Jax':wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts