Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer - I know NOTHING about CB radios, and have a very limited knowledge of electrical systems so take it easy on a noob.

After several hours of forum and google searching, I've put together a little shopping list for a CB Radio install. I'd love to get people's opinions on these products or alternatives.

How I'd be using a CB: Infrequent offroading use, maybe a handfull of times a year. Highway use whenever I'm bored or alone in the FJ. Random neighborhood use and weather checks.

Other notes: I want to mount it to the roof above the rear-view mirror. I have a very small garage which barely fits the FJ - maybe an inch clearance above the stock roof rack (no lift btw). I plan on bending the antenna and hooking to the rack somehow (I've got an extra quick grip on a hex bracket).

CB Radio:
Galaxy DX-979
Galaxy DX 979 CB Radio With StarLite Faceplate & Sideband at WalcottCB.com

Antenna:
Wilson FLEX3
FLEX3 Wilson Flexible Fiberglass Antenna at WalcottCB.com

Antenna Mount:
Boztec Rear Door Mount
CB Antenna Mount | BozTec

Coax Cable:
Firestik KA8 18' with PL259 Connectors
(not sure about this one - will this work with the boztec mount?)
Firestik K8A Single 18 Foot Coax With PL259 Connectors at WalcottCB.com

Stud Mount:
Firestik K4A
Firestik - K4A - Stud Mount PL259 Screw-On Connection at WalcottCB.com

What do you guys think? Am I missing anything? Will all these items play nice together? If I plan on connecting to the fuse panel, what do I need for that?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are you going to do the install yourself or are you going to take it to a local shop? If you are going to do it yourself you are also going to need a SWR meter and a coaxial jumper cable. Look up how to tune a cb radio.

Instead of bending the antenna I recommend purchasing a quick disconnect for the antenna. I use one with my 4' firestik because at work I have to park in a garage with a limited clearance so I just take the antenna off.

You'll need to think about the positioning of the antenna. The fj is a difficult vehicle to use a short antenna like what you are describing but for limited use it can be done. The best antenna for the best range is a huge whip antenna but if you go with the wilson which is similiar to my firestik (I believe) think about mounting in so that the antenna is placed with at least 2/3 of it's length above the vehicle and preferrably in the front of the vehicle.

With that being said I did decide to go with a bandi mount and mount it in the rear of mine. I'm told by our local cb guys that this is not the best place and limits my range but I think it works fine for trail and freeway communication and it looks awesome.

Good luck, hope some of those considerations help.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That definitely helps. I'm planning on doing the install myself, so I'll pick up those tuning tools you mentioned.

I may just go with a 4' Wilson and a quick disconnect. I heard that the quick disconnect effected SWR though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I asked the same thing when I was considering a qd. Our local cb dealer explained to me that as long as you tune with it on and you don't alter the length of the antenna in any way it will not effect the swr tuning.

I didn't mention it earlier but springs are also an option for your antenna. Personally I decided not to deploy one because I found the antenna slapped the back of the fj too much damaging the paint but there are ways of overcoming that as well.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I have the 3" Wilson on a Bandi mount with the quick disconnect from Walcott, it was pretty great out of the box. ~1.5 on the SWR with no tuning, and I didn't even have to attach the ground wire.

For the radio I'm a big fan of the Midland 75-822, $80 on Amazon and it comes with everything you need to run it both as a handheld unit and an in-car unit. It's 100% all in the handset, no extra box to mount or stash somewhere.

Check the CB install thread in my sig for what the finished install looked like.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I took off the quick disconnect because the 'play' in the machined parts made a faint tapping sound when the antenna moved back and forth. Now there is a 7/16" end wrench stowed in the back for quickly disconnecting/reconnecting it.

The Galaxy 979 has a built in SWR meter, review here:Galaxy DX 979 AM SSB CB Radio Review pretty handy when you set up the antenna and the radio is mounted where you can't get to the back easily. I installed a 929 and really like the way it looks, but have only used it very briefly and can't comment on its performance yet.
[/url][/IMG]

As far a power connection, I decided to run 12 ga to the added fuse block. I like the red/black bonded pair wire from the local Ham Radio Outlet store. Also, you may not need the sideband capability of the 979, so a cheaper rig, like the 929 may serve your needs.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, yea on the fence about the quick disconnect. If I don't go with it, how long does it take to unscrew it with the wrench?

I'll look at the 929, highly doubt I'll ever use the sideband.

Will I have to pick up some wire for the power or will that come included in the cb radio box? What connectors will I need to feed the power wire into the fuse block?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Removing ant with wrench is quick and painless, just need to have an end wrench handy. Maybe the quick disconnect wouldn't bother you, but drove me nuts when I stopped and heard the click-clunk-click-clunk from waving ant. You will need to get some wire to use for power connection. I soldered onto the connector/tail supplied with the radio, it was just a few inches long. My power comes from a fuse block that I installed in the driver's footwell area. Some people use just 1 wire for positive 12V, and then run the ground to nearby chassis connection. I like to run 2 wires, 12 ga in this case, all the way to the fuse block. Pic is from the day I installed the fuse block and now it looks much better with wires that have soldered/heat shrink terminations and proper color code, red positive, black negative.
[/url][/IMG]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts