Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Is it better to go through Vegas Nick than order through Amazon? That price on Amazon is very good for the radio...

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want to have true radio go with ham radios more powerful longer distances more clarity range etc . It is alittle more involved than CB .

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Is it better to go through Vegas Nick than order through Amazon? That price on Amazon is very good for the radio...
Amazon won't peak and tune it for you. :grin

Here's the skinny on Amazon and Fry's. They buy radios in bulk, literally by the thousands. For instance, you can buy a Cobra 75 at Fry's for less than I can get it direct from Cobra! Amazon Prime is the same way. Their cost on the radio plus shipping is dang close to my cost from Uniden. BUT... the folks at Amazon will just say "too bad, so sad" when it breaks or you need it serviced.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If you want to have true radio go with ham radios more powerful longer distances more clarity range etc . It is alittle more involved than CB .
Covered that quite well all over the forum here. I always advocate getting an amateur license but some will and some won't.

Any way, welcome to the forum from KI4PLC!:grin

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'll probably get a HAM at some point, but I'm a little up against it for the Summit and I need something quick.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Ok, so I'm about to order this CB setup so that I can get it installed in plenty of time for the Summit trip. I've gathered from this thread that the radio I should target is the following:

Amazon.com : Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio : Two Way Radios : Electronics
Check the CB install thread in my signature, that Midland is the radio I use and if you want to do a full install I've got all the parts listed that you'll want, with photos of the install and what the radio looks like when it's in use and when it isn't. Worst-case you can run a magnetic antenna on the roof with that radio, or you can even use the radio as a handheld. But I'd suggest the full install, if you plan on offroading more than 1-2 times a year. It's really easy to remove the radio/antenna when you're not wheeling.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If I didn't have Amazon credit I would have gone through @Vegas_Nick for these... one thing I have noticed is he sure as heck takes care of his customers. Some of the best customer service I have seen... even a couple occassions when it wasn't ordered through him and he was helping get a solution.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
PM sent to Vegas Nick

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If I didn't have Amazon credit I would have gone through @Vegas_Nick for these... one thing I have noticed is he sure as heck takes care of his customers. Some of the best customer service I have seen... even a couple occassions when it wasn't ordered through him and he was helping get a solution.

Thanks man! I do my best. :grin

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
I vote get one too.

I just got one a little shy of a trip the other weekend with casper. He has one and I couldn't help thinking the whole trip how nice it would be to be able chat with each other, not only on the trail but on the drive up also.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
msduncan, if you need help to install, I'm not afraid to break your truck. I installed mine myself and it has not burnt down my truck yet. :grin

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'd love help breaking the truck. I'm going to clear this through accounting (wife) and then probably order through Vegas Nick.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I think that's a great choice. I ordered mine through Nick and he spoke to me a couple of times on the phone for the installation and it was really helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I vote get one too.

I just got one a little shy of a trip the other weekend with casper. He has one and I couldn't help thinking the whole trip how nice it would be to be able chat with each other, not only on the trail but on the drive up also.
I'd say! It would've been so much more convenient. I'd say everyone should have one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I will have a small older Uniden with me for someone to borrow/buy. I put a Lighter socket connector on it and it has a magnetic base antenna with it

21 - 38 of 38 Posts