Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what you guys out there think would be a good cb. I was thinking of the Midland 75822. Which would have the best range.

Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
The handhelds don't really get out as well as the setups with an outside antenna. Some of the guys use the plug in (cigarette plug) and mag mount set ups and they work well, but I think are kind of messy (wire wise). I preferred a more installed look for my radio and got a small Uniden pro510xl mounted under the dash below the ignition w/Bandi Mount (does not get in the way at all). The whole setup(radio, wiring, antenna/mount)was about 180bucks and works great. It's mostly all about the antenna as far as range, I have a Radio Shack 64 inch whip mounted on the Bandi. Install is about an hour. Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I would like to know what you guys out there think would be a good cb. I was thinking of the Midland 75822. Which would have the best range.

Thanks
Based on favorable reviews by Uphill and others, I set out recently to buy that exact radio. Couldn't find it at Best Buy or other retail outlets, so I went to a well-known trucker's radio shop in the next county west of me. They had the Midland 75-822 but told me that it can't be "tuned" (have the output wattage boosted) like many other radios. But I wanted a hand-held because I didn't want it permanently mounted in the cab.

I ended up with the Cobra 75WXST, which can be tuned and boosted (after you buy it - can't legally do it to a NIB radio) and I'm quite happy with it so far. With a 4-1/2' antenna on my front (steel) bumper I get great reception from a long ways away. The Cobra 75WXST was advertised as 4 watts, actually made only 3 watts out of the box, but now makes at least 6 watts after the tune up. :bandit:

If you do decide to go with the Midland, you can hook it up to a regular external antenna like others have done. But I thought I would mention the boosted Cobra as an alternative since you said you wanted maximum range.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
You could put junk parts together almost totally wrong and still be able to receive. Reception is not an issue. Transmission is the issue.

The radio itself isn't the central issue in your ability to transmit. The antenna and it's installation are the key.

Without a license, you're limited to a transmission power of (if I remember correctly) 4 Watts per channel. This is FINE for use in 4 wheeling with groups of people up and down canyon roads.

The quality of the wire used in the antenna installation, the quality of the antenna and the intelligence of where and how you install it on the vehicle as well as your ability to tune it to an optimal SWR (standing wave ratio) is *EVERYTHING* in terms of your ability to transmit with the most power.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Go with the Cobra 75WXST, that's worked the best for me!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Beyond pressing the button to talk, I know nothing about CBs. Currently, I have the Cobra HH38WXST

and a 12" magnetic antenna... Reception/Broadcast is probably 1/2 mile on the trail... maybe. Not great.

So, I'm on a mission to improve this. I just ordered the Bandi Mount. Then I guess I'll go with a 48" FireStick (?).

First question: Is the handheld Cobra that I have going do much better with the external antenna? (assuming the quick disconnect on the CB will allow me to connect to new antenna cable)

Next question: Assuming my current CB is part of the problem, and I get a "tunable" Midland or Cobra... how does one tune said CB? (assuming I'm okay with the legal ramifications)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check out clays radio shop on line, they will tune and peak your radio for you. Lots of choices there, Galaxy and Ranger make great radios.

I have a Ranger 2950 and use a Wilson 1k antenna.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
The most important thing to tune is the antenna installation. The cable needs to be laid correctly (more importantly - incorrect cable lay needs to be avoided). The antenna needs to be installed with a good ground and a good ground plane. Then, the standing wave ratio (SWR) needs to be tuned using a SWR meter. You can't pre-tune a radio/antenna prior to installation.

There are just a few specific no-no's in regard to running antenna cable and there are a few specific have-to's with regard to antenna attachment, but the main thing is the SWR adjustment.

The SWR is adjusted by making tiny changes in the length of the antenna, typically by screwing a knob in or out at the top. The readings are obtained with a meter which goes inline in the antenna cable during the test. The procedure takes about 2 minutes to figure out based on the instructions that go with the meter.

With no adjustment or incorrect adjustment, you could actually harm your radio by using it to transmit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed, a SWR meter is about 25 bucks from an on line shop, DOSY makes a good one for a bit more. You will smoke your transmit if your SWR is high. Remember to get the car out in the open with all doors closed when you take a reading, you can get false readings if you are in a crowded parking lot or next to a structure. Even the rubber covers for the tip will change SWR.

If you have extra coax bundle it up in a long loop, with each loop over 12", not in a tight coil.

When you get a tuned and peaked radio they just fine tune the receive and transmit freqs, and max out your power output and modulation. The only place you can adjust the SWR is where the radio will be installed, it will change with each new location.

Dave

·
Registered
627 Posts
I personally would recommend a good cobra with SSB and built in SWR if you intend to use the radio outside the off-roading realm. Theres lots of good people on the air and cross country I've found it to be an indispensable item. I rock a Cobra 140 GTL but those have long since been off the market. The modern version is the 148GTL and its a great radio. Good luck with your decision.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts