Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that is new to the FJ Summit this year, please be aware that CB radios are the standard method of communications between trail leaders and group members. Everything goes much smoother and more efficiently if we can communicate without stopping and jumping out of the vehicle countless times. While we don't officially "require" that you have a CB, I can say with complete confidence that you and everyone in your vehicle will enjoy the Summit much more so if you can all hear and participate in the radio chatter. Please don't let this go to the last minute. In all honesty, it's very irritating to trail leaders and other participants if you don't have a CB for communications.

Also, I'm asked "HAM or CB?" regularly and, yes, HAM is superior for distance but you can't legally just go out and buy a HAM off the shelf and use it. You have to study for the test, find a place to take the test and then pass the test before becoming a legal operator. Considering that 1/2 or more of Summit attendees are new each year, we can't expect these individuals to run out and go through this process for just one event. CB, while not perfect, is the standard for most 4x4 events and is very easy to get started with.

For additional info: please refer to this info from JB. Many vendors sell CB packages for the FJ which are quick and painless to install.

CB's aren't essential for Summit, but they are near the top of the "nice to have" department. It's a surprisingly inexpensive mod for how much benefit you get out of it.

Here's my CB install thread from years ago with photos: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/cb-ham-communications/129770-jimmys-cb-install.html

The main details of my build are:

1. Midland 75-822 radio, which can be used both as a portable and as a wired radio inside the truck. The quality / features / functionality isn't as good as a full-size Cobra (few are), but the mountains will block your signal anyway. The nice thing about this radio is that it allows you to have a very clean interior when the radio is not in use.
  2. Wilson Flex antenna, much more flexible than the standard Firestik that most people get. You don't need a spring, all you need is a quick disconnect. I think Firestik now makes a more flexible antenna to match the Wilson but I don't have any experience with it.
Everything else about my CB install is pretty standard: bandi-type mount on the rear door hinge, wiring etc.

If you're coming to Summit and are on the fence about getting a CB, jump off the fence and dive in. You will enjoy the experience much more with a radio. The last time I priced everything, it was ~$195 before shipping. I can't imagine the price has gone up much since then.

There are other examples of CB setups for people's FJ's -- top console mounts, dash mounts etc -- so you have some flexibility in which radio / setup to do. My setup is intended for occasional CB users and prioritizes simplicity / clean uninstall over getting that last mile or two of range.

No matter what setup you go with, getting a CB for Summit will help you enjoy the experience that much more.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,999 Posts
For reals! Get a CB! As a trail leader, it is so much nicer when everyone is in the loop and is aware of what is going on. And as mentioned above, it is the standard of communication among off-roaders and you'll not only get to use it at the Summit, but also at other off-road events and get togethers in the future.

My CB setup was super simple and works for me great. I went through PureFJCruiser. Here is a link: Cobra 75 WX ST Complete Install Kit with BOZTEC Mount [75WXST-KIT-BOZTEC] - $248.99 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser

I personally got the Midland Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter and then the rest of the kit seen in the link above. Only around $200 and now I have the ability to run the wire from the rear antenna to the front of the FJ and I can use the radio easily as it is all controlled through the small, hand-held setup. Then when not in use I can put the radio away and roll up the wiring and keep in in the back. No drilling holes are necessary! Just scrapping off a little paint where the antenna mount attaches so the mount can be properly grounded for a clearer signal connection. Then after getting the antenna tuned at a car audio shop it has worked flawlessly!

So go out and get them radios set up!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Another thing to consider investing in is an SWR meter. They're relatively cheap and let you tune your own radio/antenna. I check mine before every trip that I'm going to use it or any time I switch antennas and can get it to be ~1 reliably. This takes some of the guesswork out of getting the most from your CB setup.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just get a Midland 75-822 and a magnetic mount antenna and you will be fine.

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
113 Posts
Exactly the setup I use in my 2012 Infiniti QX56. The Midland 75-822 with a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount. And before I take off on my extended road trips that I will use it, I have my $20 SWR meter to always tune it before my trips.

Works great on the highway as I listen to truckers going at each other and sharing some really interesting stories. They also act like cop spotters to their friends and I get it all as I go down the highway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the same CB. Been using it for three years. I like the fact that you can disconnect it and use it as a hand-held.
Comes with a separate battery and rechargeable battery pack (batteries not included).
I am going to mount a regular CB and use this one as backup/hand-held.
I just wish the power cord was a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Curious where u folks are mounting the mike- i mostly let it lie over by the e-brake. Any pics or better ideas? Prefer not to leave a permanent reminder it was ever there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Curious where u folks are mounting the mike- i mostly let it lie over by the e-brake. Any pics or better ideas? Prefer not to leave a permanent reminder it was ever there.

I use some HD velco to mount it on the passenger side silver trim near the radio, that way driver and passenger can reach it no problem, and the velcro comes off without any marks if I choose to remove the CB.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use some HD velco to mount it on the passenger side silver trim near the radio, that way driver and passenger can reach it no problem, and the velcro comes off without any marks if I choose to remove the CB.

If u have a moment could you snap a pic of ur setup? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Will do next time I'm in the FJ. Sadly, I have to park a ways away, so it may be later this weekend before I see her again :mecry:.

Reactions: Stephen Stock

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I ordered a new midland yesterday. 84.00 delivered. I only use the thing during the Summit. I just hate the noise, but it is needed there for sure. Will have it locked down before departure.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Here ya go! It's Scotch branded velcro if I remember correctly, comes in ~3 inch strips that I cut to size. I added a 12v socket on the side of the console so I can still charge my phone while having the CB operational.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey that’s great, thank you for taking the time to post this. Assuming this holds up when 4 wheeling? I have the same unit as a backup so i know its much heavier than the average mic- great idea.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey that’s great, thank you for taking the time to post this. Assuming this holds up when 4 wheeling? I have the same unit as a backup so i know its much heavier than the average mic- great idea.

No problem! I switched to this velcro after trying a lighter-duty one that kept falling off. With this one, it's plenty strong with a good-sized piece. I also use it to hold the iPhone that contains my road-trip music.

·
Vendor
1,481 Posts
If you do forget your CB, we've got you covered. We'll have many at the summit in the booth with all the accessories, antennas and mounts.
And, our handy dandy expert to help with installs, tuning, you name it. It's gonna be a great time everyone. Looking forward to meeting the new attendees and seeing familiar faces.

Drive safe and we'll see you in 1 week, 5 days, 20 hours, 30 minutes and 20 seconds.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
If you do forget your CB, we've got you covered. We'll have many in the booth and all the accessories and mounts. And, our handy dandy expert to help with installs, tuning, you name it. It's gonna be a great time everyone. Looking forward to meeting the new attendees and seeing familiar faces.

Drive safe and we'll see you in 1 week, 5 days, 20 hours, 30 minutes and 20 seconds.
Will you do a free antenna fine tuning as well if requested? Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,481 Posts
The CB expert will be in attendance and has been a *huge help* at past events. We'll connect you and you can work out your schedule. He's not had a tip jar in the past, but it's always an option. Ha.

He'll be running trails too, so you'll want to get in his queue sooner rather than later. :^)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There should be plenty of people around with SWR meters to do some last minute tuning if you need to. I always bring mine which came in handy after I had to replace my antenna cable with a new one from PureFJCruiser a couple of years back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tuned up the CB and GMRS this morning. 1.2 on both, ya'll should hear me clear and loud!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am about to get a delivery from PureFJCruiser to do my install, thanks again! plenty of time to get installed. I will definitely bring some beer to trade for some SWR tuning time! Ill be sure to stop by your tent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts