Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the market for a CB. I have a single DIN stereo and was hoping to fit the CB in the open one. Here is the CB that I think I have decided on WalcottCB.com: Uniden PC78Elite CB Radio

My question is this. What do I need to purchase to complete this setup? I would like to be able to use the PA feature and I am not sure where to begin with what else to buy (ant., coax, mount, etc...)

Any help out there?

Thanks,

TonkaXL

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Good Luck finding a spot for that. I'm having the same problem with my units. I'm trying to do an overhead console for a full size CB (like your's) & a mobile scanner, that is shaped like the CB. No where good to hang, except the roof. Problem is I don't want to cut into the headliner. I have 2 built but, Am not too happy about the headliner thing. If you find a good spot let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Luck finding a spot for that. I'm having the same problem with my units. I'm trying to do an overhead console for a full size CB (like your's) & a mobile scanner, that is shaped like the CB. No where good to hang, except the roof. Problem is I don't want to cut into the headliner. I have 2 built but, Am not too happy about the headliner thing. If you find a good spot let me know.
Funny you should mention the scanner. I am looking at: BCT15 Package

With the remote option. It is very thin and I can mount the scanner under the passenger seat (already have xbox under drivers side) and then mount the remote under the middle section just above the 4wheel shifter.

I hope that I can fit both a stereo and a CB unit in there. Anyone done it????

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I hope that I can fit both a stereo and a CB unit in there. Anyone done it????
Yes, there are a bunch of examples of that on here. Chris2 has one, I know that...

The PC78 Elite is a good radio and can be tweaked. I use the PC78LTW in my FJ (modified) and it's a great radio.

You'll want the mounting stud, coax, quick-disconnect (if you'd like), your choice of antenna, Bandi mount (unless you want to do a different mount), SWR meter (if you feel like purchasing a decent one) and a PA speaker for your PA. If you're going to do the thing in-dash, consider hooking the external speaker jack through a line-to-level converter into your head unit, or purchasing an external speaker you can mount somewhere else; you may have trouble hearing the chatter if it's mounted up in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, there are a bunch of examples of that on here. Chris2 has one, I know that...

The PC78 Elite is a good radio and can be tweaked. I use the PC78LTW in my FJ (modified) and it's a great radio.

You'll want the mounting stud, coax, quick-disconnect (if you'd like), your choice of antenna, Bandi mount (unless you want to do a different mount), SWR meter (if you feel like purchasing a decent one) and a PA speaker for your PA. If you're going to do the thing in-dash, consider hooking the external speaker jack through a line-to-level converter into your head unit, or purchasing an external speaker you can mount somewhere else; you may have trouble hearing the chatter if it's mounted up in there.
I have seen the Bandi (which is AWESOME) and was planning on purchasing one of those. The antenna that I was looking at was the Firestik, but what is the difference between hand tune and cut to tune? Also, what mounting stud do I need? Do I need a spring mount? And the CB has an internal SWR meter, does that not work?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Firestik is good, go with the 4' or longer though! Definitely get the tunable, not the cut-to-tune.

Get the Firestik K4A mounting stud and the K1A quick disconnect (if you want it). No spring is really necessary since the fiberglass antennas are somewhat forgiving and flex a bit (something like the FS4). You could use one if you wanted and if you did, use a medium, 3" one like the SS-3M. To top it off, get yourself 18' of good coax (not junk!).

Yes, the radios have built-in SWR meters, but they're not very accurate (typically off up to 30%). You can get inexpensive ones for like $15-$25 online and they'll give you a much more precise number than the built-in one. Not essential, especially if you can find someone on here maybe that already has one and is on your area to tune it up with you.

Hope that helps.
:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Firestik is good, go with the 4' or longer though! Definitely get the tunable, not the cut-to-tune.

Get the Firestik K4A mounting stud and the K1A quick disconnect (if you want it). No spring is really necessary since the fiberglass antennas are somewhat forgiving and flex a bit (something like the FS4). You could use one if you wanted and if you did, use a medium, 3" one like the SS-3M. To top it off, get yourself 18' of good coax (not junk!).

Yes, the radios have built-in SWR meters, but they're not very accurate (typically off up to 30%). You can get inexpensive ones for like $15-$25 online and they'll give you a much more precise number than the built-in one. Not essential, especially if you can find someone on here maybe that already has one and is on your area to tune it up with you.

Hope that helps.
Double,

I finally put together a package for it, however they do not have the single DIN mount. For some reason everything I search for here returns no results :-( I am hoping that you (or someone else) can help me with the internal speaker that I will need for the system and the PA speaker that I will need for outside and the mounting bracket that I would need for the install?

The rest of the package should arrive next week WOOHOO!!

Thanks again for all the help! This forum ROCKS!!! :rocker:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Double,

I finally put together a package for it, however they do not have the single DIN mount. For some reason everything I search for here returns no results :-( I am hoping that you (or someone else) can help me with the internal speaker that I will need for the system and the PA speaker that I will need for outside and the mounting bracket that I would need for the install?

The rest of the package should arrive next week WOOHOO!!

Thanks again for all the help! This forum ROCKS!!! :rocker:
The internal speaker would be something like this, just a regular CB extension speaker. Plug it into the "EXT" jack on the back of the radio.

For a PA speaker, something like this would do just fine. Run the wire through the firewall and mount it up in the engine compartment where it's somewhat loud on the outside. This one obviously goes into the "PA" jack on the back of the radio...

As far as a bracket, you might have to fabricate something simple to adapt. You could try sending chris2 a PM asking what he did, or maybe he'll pop in here and show a picture or two and explain how he did it.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Minus the skip on ch6 it is SWEET! Thanks again for your help! You rock! :rocker:

You would not happen to know anything about scanners, would ya?

;)

Thanks again for your help on the project!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts