Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I just went to Radio Shack and picked up an SWR meter for the CB. I went out to test it and here is what I found......First I seem to have all the weather bands loud and clear and I can hear numerous people transmitting on different channels. When I plug in the meter I hold down the transmit key and calibrate the meter, then I move the switch to SWR and hold the transmit key and every reading is over 3.5 in the red? I am not sure what this means but I know that I would like to have it lower? I have an FJ Cruiser with the bandi mount. I tightened everything down and there are no kinks in the coax. I am confused be cause I am able to hear people on channels so do I just have a bad meter? Thanks for any and all help I am a noob on all this electrical wiring.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
If you haven't already, I would try to scrape or sand off any paint that maybe keeping the antenna mount from getting a good ground. I did this to my Bandi mount and the SWR is less then 1.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I scraped off the paint on the door for the nut and the underside for the bolt? I will head out and try to get more off the door again and see? I am confused on why I can receive on channels when I am sitting in the driveway but I still have a high SWR reading? The other thing I tried was to take a loose wire from the nut on the bandi mount to the frame just to make sure I had a ground and there was no difference in the reading?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
You also scraped the Bandi mount surface between the antenna bulk head mount? What cable are you using? For a single antenna, it should be RG58. What brand and model antenna are you running?

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
You can receive all day long with high SWR's, but will damage your radio if you continue to operate at that level. You will probably not transmit more than a block if your lucky.
Do you buy a tuneable antenna?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the cable that comes with the big bill combo. I did scrap the paint on the underside of the bandi mount to bare metal. I have a firestik antenna but it seems like that is for fine tuning not to go from 3.5 to 1.5? Adjusting the screw out did not seem to effect the SWR either? I also remove the quick disconnect jsut to make sure? I am going to head out and take it all down and try it from scratch again? Thanks and I still open to suggestions? It is funny the mag mount that I had on the roof as a stop gap worked great? my only issue was that I had to run the cable in the side door maybe that will be coming back out?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Try adjusting the antenna tip one more time. The fine adjustment screw can change the reading from 3.5 to much lower, that's what it is for. Make very small adjustments (1/16" or less?), a little bit makes a big difference. Many are running the same set up and get good SWR. I have been using a RS SWR meter for many years and it works fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I once had to lengthen my CB antenna by 2" with some copper banding! Another antenna, I had to shorten by just a hair... and a kink.
Its kinda witch craft/science.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I went out and resanded all the points just to make sure and then played with the firestik. I had tried to tune it but I did not realize how much the screw will come out on top. I took it all the way out and started tuning it down from there. I have 40 at 1.7 and 19 and below are at 1.2 so it should be good to go. Thanks for the info on the weather channels and a sanity check.
Also thanks to Fj Ollie for the CB set up you have to been my go to guy with comms with out your help and gear I would still be in the stone ages. Now I just need to get outside and pack the truck for Ouray. Watch out for a three year old on CB ch 7 with the handle Cookie monster talking about off roading and watching Dust to Glory on his DVD player in the back.

Thank again:rocker:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.