Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried search and came up with only super old posts with mounts that hold small phones.. My question, does anyone know of a solid cell phone set up for my 2010 FJ? I have a large Note Plus so I need something sturdy.. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the glove box above the steering column. It's a super convenient solution that doesn't take up any extra space, doesn't block any AC vents, doesn't have to be stuck on the windshield 2 feet away, no need to 3M tape anything to your car. It sits right in the little groove, and the lid rests on the phone keeping it in place. Best of all, when I'm using my phone as a map, it's right in my line of sight.

·
Premium Member
2013 FJ OD Manual
374 Posts
I've seen a post, letme think, oh yea 'cockpit', and this dude had the setup for you with the notepad and all the gizmos, even had the Sheriff toy figure watching over everything. Search some more...

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,424 Posts
Check out the mounts made by both Panavice and Ram - many of us use these for a wide variety of size devices. I’ve used Panavice for years and it’s accepted an increasingly large size iPhone.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,708 Posts
I've seen a post, letme think, oh yea 'cockpit', and this dude had the setup for you with the notepad and all the gizmos, even had the Sheriff toy figure watching over everything. Search some more...
Lol I think that was me 😜
Ram mounts for the phone and iPad, the X mount the phone is in is excellent.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I have this on both my '11 &' 07

Its a "wireless" charger, meaning the usb plugs directly into the charger. (I hate cords & crap dangling all over!)
I have it positioned so the dash compartment door clears w/ phone in & I can still see the "3 Wise Men"
perfect spot for viewing Waze, Google Maps, etc.(I also have 12.3" head unit, but I like the better line-of-sight w/ this)
to install I bought a 3' flat USB cable (the one I bought off Amazon is no longer available, but eBay has several listed)
& ran it under the dash pod, (which is why I liked the flat cable) connected it to this USB hub*
*(optional, but nice for future expansion)

Then hardwired it to this 12v to 5v hardwire converter (one & done... I don't fit well under the dash)

Darrell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have this on both my '11 &' 07
View attachment 1138732

Its a "wireless" charger, meaning the usb plugs directly into the charger. (I hate cords & crap dangling all over!)
I have it positioned so the dash compartment door clears w/ phone in & I can still see the "3 Wise Men"
perfect spot for viewing Waze, Google Maps, etc.(I also have 12.3" head unit, but I like the better line-of-sight w/ this)
to install I bought a 3' flat USB cable (the one I bought off Amazon is no longer available, but eBay has several listed)
& ran it under the dash pod, (which is why I liked the flat cable) connected it to this USB hub*
*(optional, but nice for future expansion)
View attachment 1138731

Then hardwired it to this 12v to 5v hardwire converter (one & done... I don't fit well under the dash)
View attachment 1138730

Darrell
nice work!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not bad but I am confused by the wiring. Almost looks like there is charging going in from a dash wire and a charger cable going out? Or maybe I am just challenged!
The original Ram X-Grip is a holder only, no wiring. The one I am using has a USB port on the back which is convenient to have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks solid, where are you mounting the taped magnet? Under the far left drivers side vent? Or did you screw it in?
Its pretty soild. I like it in the middle. Less of a distraction and easier to keep the eyes on the road, if that makes sense.
20200905_122944.jpg
20200905_122955.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The original Ram X-Grip is a holder only, no wiring. The one I am using has a USB port on the back which is convenient to have.
Thanks.. Looks like you had to use some kind of custom bolt set up to mount the ball to the lower grip bolt hole?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a case and mount from quadlock. It was made for bicycle handlebars but works really good when mounted on the parking brake with the provided O-rings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts