Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just order the caps on eBay! Don't pay 37 bucks at the dealer or paint.

·
Registered
215 Posts
PUBA08;
Since many of us received the vehicle with only the front dust caps, technically, we would have to acquire:
(2) rear dust caps, and
(4) Toyota emblem center caps

Then put rear dust caps on first, and finally snap T center caps on all four wheels. Is this correct and is this how your wheels are setup?

Does someone have a photo of the black steelies with the correct toyota center cap installed...?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
PUBA08;
Since many of us received the vehicle with only the front dust caps, technically, we would have to acquire:
(2) rear dust caps, and

Then put rear dust caps on first, and finally snap T center caps on all four wheels. Is this correct and is this how your wheels are setup?

Does someone have a photo of the black steelies with the correct toyota center cap installed...?
If there are rear dust caps, I have not found them. I can tell you there is no way the front dust caps will fit on the rear axel hub, as it has different geometry than the front.

If you do find such a thing, please post the part number!

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
According to Toyota there is no such part as a rear dust cap. That dust cap is for one thing and one thing only, cover a screw for the front diff. You install the center cap over the two dust covers and install them like normal on the rear
PUBA08;
(2) rear dust caps, and

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought 4 steelies from the dealer of a 2011 green Se and there were no caps. I went on eBay and bought the 5 th Steelie from a seller on there ($55.00 a Steelie, he's got a bunch, so very easy to find on eBay) and it came with the cap. I asked and he does sell the caps separately (8 bucks ea.). I took my 17"s off my 07 ti and put the steelies on. Looked like black dust shield caps on front and none on the back. Rims installed fine. Put center caps on as well and found u need a rubber mallet and a rag to put them on. The notches on the cap don't go all the way into the rim, but a few whacks and the suckers are on there. Be careful not to hit the middle of the cap or you will dent it! FYI the spare cap does not fit on the back due to the spare tire carrier. I'm on my phone so I'll take some picks and post'em later. Hope this helps. And the dust shields were not removed off the front hubs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If there are rear dust caps, I have not found them. I can tell you there is no way the front dust caps will fit on the rear axel hub, as it has different geometry than the front.

If you do find such a thing, please post the part number!
I think i posted this in another thread. There are no rear dust caps. the front caps are only there to cover the 35mm nut that holds the CV shaft to the hub. The rear is just a piece of cast steel and they do rust easily. I run procomp 7089s and personally hate their center caps, so I simply painted the rear center hubs. I used the bondo brand rust converter on them first to clean up any rust. you simply apply and let sit for 15 minutes then rinse with water. I did this a few times. Then cleaned thoroughly with acetone. masked off around them. the 2 coats of self etching primer and 2 coats of flat black. they look great now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think i posted this in another thread. There are no rear dust caps. the front caps are only there to cover the 35mm nut that holds the CV shaft to the hub. The rear is just a piece of cast steel and they do rust easily. I run procomp 7089s and personally hate their center caps, so I simply painted the rear center hubs. I used the bondo brand rust converter on them first to clean up any rust. you simply apply and let sit for 15 minutes then rinse with water. I did this a few times. Then cleaned thoroughly with acetone. masked off around them. the 2 coats of self etching primer and 2 coats of flat black. they look great now.
Did the same....looks oem good....thx

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Average price new (as in Toyota Dealer Parts Dept) is $148.75 each.

Average price new (as in take-offs) $50.00 - $60.00 each

Average price used is not much under $50.00 each

Some sellers are generous and include the center caps, some don't.

There it is in a nutshell.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Average price new (as in Toyota Dealer Parts Dept) is $148.75 each.
holy crap I thought you were talking about the center caps there for a minute :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am looking to paint mine black as well. I assume you need to remove the wheels to get the proper coverage? Since this is my first rattle-can job, to be honest :/, I was wondering how long each step takes in the process. I was reading the back of each can and they all recommend long drying times. What is sufficient for the rust reformer, primer, then paint. If I have to remove the wheels I don't want to leave it on jack stands for like 5 hours.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
You are over worrying about this. Just tape off around it and paint it. Or find someone getting rid of their caps and cover it that way.

QUOTE=JamminFJ;2290841]I am looking to paint mine black as well. I assume you need to remove the wheels to get the proper coverage? Since this is my first rattle-can job, to be honest :/, I was wondering how long each step takes in the process. I was reading the back of each can and they all recommend long drying times. What is sufficient for the rust reformer, primer, then paint. If I have to remove the wheels I don't want to leave it on jack stands for like 5 hours.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok thanks :bigthumb: I wasn't sure hehe I am an engineer I like everything perfect and planned out!

BTW I am going to still paint 'em but I also found on ebay some guy selling a bunch of new caps @ 9 bucks a piece I picked up 5. What the hell ya know?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts