Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! So here is a write up of how I installed some simple 8" Flex LEDs you can purchase from AutoZone or someplace similar. I specifically installed them under the radio/climate control console so it would make seeing the button panel easier as well as anything in the center console (in my case my iPod that I keep plugged into the AUX port).

Final picture:

Before Pictures:

So first you need to take apart the dash which is super simple, remove the bottom screws from the silver pieces beside the radio bezel and then pull up/out from the bottom and the clips will unclip that hold it in place. Then unscrew the screws on the sides of the radio bezel and again pull up from the bottom and then the clips will start to unclip.

Then for ease of installation I unplugged the 3 plugs going to the temperature controls to allow this piece plenty of freedom. I cleaned the bottom edge, figured out where the middle was, and then took one of the LED flex strips and removed the 3M tape cover so I could then adhere the light to the bottom of the console. Then install the other just opposite of that one.

After that run the wires through the dash towards the fuse box. Using a metal coat hanger works but I used a wooden dowel to guide the wires from the lights where I wanted them to go.

Then pull the wire slack through and reinstall the temp. controls and radio bezel (after plugging back in the plugs of course). It should just click back into place. Make sure the wires are tight when you click the bottom edge in so they stay in place and make for a clean look.

Then in my case I wanted to control the lights with a switch so you'll need to install a toggle switch. On this FJ I used an empty switch located on the fuse cover under the steering wheel. I decided to use the one with the light. The wiring for both switches is pretty much the same. The 12V power source wire with a fuse somewhere in that line goes to one of the bottom, rear pin. Then the light's positive wires (the black wires with the white stripes in this case) connect to the middle pin. Then if you have a switch with a light, the top pin will need a ground wire to connect somewhere to the metal frame of the vehicle. In the switch doesn't have a light, then there will just be the 2 pins and you can scratch that last step.

You can see that I ran my 12V power supply from the fuse panel using a piggy-back fuse holder. I plugged mine into the radio fuse so that way the lights would only come on if the radio could come on, or in other words they could be turned on or off even if the FJ key is turned to the accessory position. It makes for a clean install and the fuse on the inside is the radio fuse and the one on the outside (a small 5 amp fuse) is the one for the LEDs. Now if you want the LEDs to be operational even without the vehicle key in or on then find another fuse spot that is always powered and run the power from there.

And for my ground I added little metal rings to the ground/negative wires and then undid the bolt shown and bolted them down there. Any solid ground will work, but a tip for people like me that make mistakes, make sure your wires and plugs are insulated or you risk shorting things out and blowing fuses.

Then reinstall everything back into it's proper place and boom! You have LEDs for your center console!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some pictures from my first TRD FJ that I used the same lights but in blue!

And in this case the switch for the light was off the the left of the center console, it is below and to the right of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very nicely done. Great write up!

BTW, any info on the bag attached by your shifters?

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nicely done. Great write up!

BTW, any info on the bag attached by your shifters?
They are the M-Pac bags attached to the Springtail center console rack. Do some research on line for Springtail FJ Cruiser racks and you'll find their website and all their products!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. I've been wanting to do this for awhile and this just might be the catalyst.

Did you consider connecting the LED to the dash lights? That's my thought right now...

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting this up. I've been wanting to do this for awhile and this just might be the catalyst.

Did you consider connecting the LED to the dash lights? That's my thought right now...
That is a good idea, I just don't know how to do it. Plus what would happen if you used the dimmer on the LEDs? I just wanted to have the on and off control of my lights.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm hoping they will dim with the dash lights. I bought some, so we will see! I hope to install them tomorrow so I'll let you know what wire and how they work.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I put a set in my 40 tonight and they work good. They do dim with the light switch.

View attachment 621985
Great to see! Good job! Any tips of where or how to wire them to the dash lights so they work with the dimmer on the FJ Cruiser?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Not yet, but I would think you could tap into the lights for the heater controls. I'll let you know what I do when I go to install mine.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Nice! Did mine in red right after I bought it. Was too dark at night and the red helps illuminate the interior while not being too bright and disturbing my vision at night. Plus it matches the red interior...

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks just like mine!

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1450899566.116215.jpg

I tapped into the green/black wire that powers the light for my tranny console. It dims with the dash lights but the LED doesn't dim along with it. Must have something to do with the way the FJ dimmer works because they dim in my FJ 40 with the dash lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NIce, I just bought my FJ and definitely need to light it up a bit. I am going to use your thread for reference, thanks for posting it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts