Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Cruisers,

I am thinking of swapping my stock 17" alloys for 16" TRD wheels and wondered:

1. Will they fit properly in terms of brakes and suspension?
2. Will this mess with my speedometer?
3. Is it easy enough to transfer the pressure sensors?
4. (Less important) Will the smaller spare fit the 17" cover/block the reversing camera?
5. Any other issues I may be missing?

Thank you and happy trails!

-FJS

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,196 Posts
Yes they will fit
No they will not effect your Speedo ( tire size will )
Yes
Again this will depend on Tire size not . wheel .
No

I run 16s because i like a taller sidewall . But there are less tire choices in the 16 in

Reactions: Prospector

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is SO helpful--thank you!

I have heard that 16" rims (depending on tire of course) will give a softer ride/better grip because of the higher sidewalls.

I also love the TRD wheel, and since my tires are getting ready to be swapped out all around, I thought maybe it would be a good time to switch to the TRD rims.

I would love to hear any other thoughts you may have about 16 v. 17, TRD rims, swapping, or FJ life in general! It's experienced guys like you who make this forum such a valuable resource...

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,940 Posts
Wheels hardly matter between 16 and 17 on an FJ since we are usually sitting on at least a 70 sidewall.

However, tires matter TREMENDOUSLY. Tires come in standard load, C, D, up to E-rated tires...the more you go up, the stronger they are....which means, they also get heavier and firmer. Different tires have different rubbers even that can make the tread harder or softer than other....that affects how quickly they wear, their dry/wet/cold weather grip ect ect. Its really almost endless lol .

I just picked up a set of 17s, and still have 16s. My plan was in-case because next go-around I might get 285/75/17s...~34" tire. I currently run 295/75/16s, which are a little smaller in diameter...there is no incremental next 16" tire unless I go full 35" for my 16" wheels.

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,196 Posts
You can not go wrong with BFG. All terrains

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Off road the 16" wheel will give you more sidewall to flex which helps with traction, and protects the wheel. Note that Toyota put 16" wheels on the TT editions as well as some of the off-road packages, for that reason.

On road ride may be slightly softer, at the expense of handling, due to the taller sidewall, but these are small differences IMO.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Keep in mind if you ever plan to do larger brake calipers down the road, your selection will be limited with 16" rims. 5th gen 4runners come with larger brake calipers and they cannot fit 16" rims. I have the TRD simulated headlock wheels and when I looked, the front calipers is crazy close to the rim radially.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts