Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Check out the tech section. Bellydoc has a write up.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok seriously stupid newbie question coming....the axle and CV boot are not the same correct? do you have to change the axle to change the boot? sorry guys I am a little lost here......I saw the axle change write up...is it the same? I figured if I was on the trail that the boot and links are the things that will probably go the most.......can anyone explain this to me a bit, and where can I get these parts on the cheap thanks

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
ok seriously stupid newbie question coming....the axle and CV boot are not the same correct? do you have to change the axle to change the boot? sorry guys I am a little lost here......I saw the axle change write up...is it the same? I figured if I was on the trail that the boot and links are the things that will probably go the most.......can anyone explain this to me a bit, and where can I get these parts on the cheap thanks
I got some answers but I'm not 100% on all of em so I'll let others chime in. I know the boots are cheap but kinda alot of work to change.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
No, they are not the same. You don't have to change the axle to replace the boot but you do have to remove the "outer" part of the axle do so to. Most "guestimate" the job to be 90 minutes or so, that all depends on where you are doing it, if you have all the right tools and how many times you have done this before.

It would be a very good practice run in the event you had to do a CV axle swap since you could do it in a "controlled environment" of the driveway/garage. The boot kits are under $30 for both inner and outer boots and clips.

Hope this helps a little...

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
The boots are the "accordianed" rubber covers over the CV joints. The CV joints connect the outer wheel hub with the stub axles. They allow the front wheels to turn, articulate and be powered.

DEWFPO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts