Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to protect my charcoal canister as I get into bigger and bigger rocks that could smash this pricey little plastic box. Last year at Summit a stock FJ dropped off a ledge and destroyed theirs, and I made a mental note to deal with this before wheeling season ‘19. So was wondering if anyone had fabbed something or knew of any for sale on the market?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Deb not sure if you saw this one. I know the user said he didnt want to ship...but may feel differently now. And, I know this is not specifically for the charcoal canister but my understanding is that it covers and protects it.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/want-sell-fj-related-items/729036-wts-oem-toyota-fj-cruiser-rear-skid-plate-kit-nib.html

In the past when I bought something from someone, I just asked for the box dimensions and weight and went to my Fedex account to see how much it would cost to ship (I am just a residential user...not a business). And, I could generate my own printing label that would charge to my credit card and send it to the user via e-mail. Couldnt be simpler for them - they have to do is tape label on box and drop off box at Fedex facility.

Seller may not know how simple the shipping part can be.

OP last logged in about 3 days ago.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For the '08 TT models, Toyota offered an optional, very robust aluminum rear skidplate that covered the entire underside of the vehicle behind the rear axle. Last time I looked, some were still available. Pricey, but well worth it if it prevents the destruction of the $1K canister assembly.

I installed one on my '14, and documented the installation process here:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/392017-installation-oem-toyota-aluminum-rear-skid-plate-14-fj.html

The '13 and '14 models added a fuel-pump ECU to control fuel pump speed, so I had to re-locate the ECU because it interfered with the mounting of the forward crossmember that's added to support the front edge of the skidplate.

No modifications are needed for earlier FJs without the fuel pump ECU.

Coming around a very tight switchback at the '17 Summit, my passenger-side rear tire dropped into a deep washout at the exact same time that a pumpkin-sized rock was passing under the rear of the vehicle. The skid plate came down HARD on the rock, right at the trailing edge. The plate got slightly dented, but undoubtedly saved my rear bumper cover from getting torn off. Had the rock been 18 inches to the left, my canister would potentially have been at risk.

5 minutes with a 20-ton press easily straightened the plate back to as-new condition.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deb not sure if you saw this one. I know the user said he didnt want to ship...but may feel differently now. And, I know this is not specifically for the charcoal canister but my understanding is that it covers and protects it.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/want-sell-fj-related-items/729036-wts-oem-toyota-fj-cruiser-rear-skid-plate-kit-nib.html

In the past when I bought something from someone, I just asked for the box dimensions and weight and went to my Fedex account to see how much it would cost to ship (I am just a residential user...not a business). And, I could generate my own printing label that would charge to my credit card and send it to the user via e-mail. Couldnt be simpler for them - they have to do is tape label on box and drop off box at Fedex facility.

Seller may not know how simple the shipping part can be.

OP last logged in about 3 days ago.
Maybe a skid / air tank holder combo or something .
For the '08 TT models, Toyota offered an optional, very robust aluminum rear skidplate that covered the entire underside of the vehicle behind the rear axle. Last time I looked, some were still available. Pricey, but well worth it if it prevents the destruction of the $1K canister assembly.

I installed one on my '14, and documented the installation process here:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/392017-installation-oem-toyota-aluminum-rear-skid-plate-14-fj.html

The '13 and '14 models added a fuel-pump ECU to control fuel pump speed, so I had to re-locate the ECU because it interfered with the mounting of the forward crossmember that's added to support the front edge of the skidplate.

No modifications are needed for earlier FJs without the fuel pump ECU.

Coming around a very tight switchback at the '17 Summit, my passenger-side rear tire dropped into a deep washout at the exact same time that a pumpkin-sized rock was passing under the rear of the vehicle. The skid plate came down HARD on the rock, right at the trailing edge. The plate got slightly dented, but undoubtedly saved my rear bumper cover from getting torn off. Had the rock been 18 inches to the left, my canister would potentially have been at risk.

5 minutes with a 20-ton press easily straightened the plate back to as-new condition.
I wouldn’t be able to use the OE skid because of my @Iconic_ Fab bumper - no mounting spots. Also it’s a high departure setup and the OE skid sitting below the bumper would get in the way. I do appreciate you both telling me about this option -didn’t know such a thing exsisted! Thinking about using a smaller steel plate fabbed to wrap just around the cannister.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Due to a tragic turn of events Deb no longer has a factory rear bumper crossmember. :rofl: Buying something off the shelf will be tricky for you but I bet the OEM skid could be modified to work alright with all my parts including recovery points.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bet a kit like that would sell pretty good. :browsmiley:
I'd reckon a smart young bloke with metal skills, could knock out a skid ..blindfolded with one hand tied behind his back...
and could become an iconic part of FJ folklore ......
:rofl::rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Aaaaand just like that a new Iconic_Fab product is born :browsmiley::browsmiley::browsmiley:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
What in the world happened??
I was backing up in the hills and didn't see a large rock. It tweaked the tailpipe and the exhaust leak was blowing directly on to the canister. It also melted the coax going to my rear camera and the wires for the sonar things. One reflector fell out of the stock bumper. I found an aftermarket one for like $2 and had to use a heat gun to reform the bumper wings.

I got a replacement canister from a Toyota wrecking yard in Cali for ~$200. But I still get an error code at times minor leak. I want to give it a smoke test to see where the leak is.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was backing up in the hills and didn't see a large rock. It tweaked the tailpipe and the exhaust leak was blowing directly on to the canister. It also melted the coax going to my rear camera and the wires for the sonar things. One reflector fell out of the stock bumper. I found an aftermarket one for like $2 and had to use a heat gun to reform the bumper wings.

I got a replacement canister from a Toyota wrecking yard in Cali for ~$200. But I still get an error code at times minor leak. I want to give it a smoke test to see where the leak is.
OMG! Yet another reason to wonder why the canister housing is plastic! It’s proximity to exhaust has always troubled me...sorry that happened to you.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
3 questions to Toyota 1. What are the hooks on some Fj’s seats for ? 2 who makes the stock flywheel ? Surly it can’t be Toyota .and 3 why is the charcoal canister made out of plastic ?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
"why is the charcoal canister made out of plastic ?"

they all are (whole industry)

Strange fact: with the emissions regulations now requiring compliance through 10 years, gas tanks, which have been made of steel since forever, are now all made from plastic because only it can hold up and remain vapor barrier capable for long enough.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"why is the charcoal canister made out of plastic ?"

they all are (whole industry)

Strange fact: with the emissions regulations now requiring compliance through 10 years, gas tanks, which have been made of steel since forever, are now all made from plastic because only it can hold up and remain vapor barrier capable for long enough.
So they’re plastic just because the whole industry builds them that way? But why.....?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts