Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright..so I got my fj about a year ago. Since buying it I've had a small leak in the front passenger A pillar. I discovered it was the seam behind the window trim had cracked over time...no big deal I somehow managed to seal it up without removing/breaking the trim.
Next I install my prinsu roof rack and the A pillar leak returns. No matter how much I re-seal this area where the roof rack mates to the mount points it always has a small leak. (I've pulled my head liner).
The leak is not coming from the threads so I assume it's from between the spacers and the roof?
Could I be tightening these bolts too tight?
None of the other mounts leak ever! And some of them dont even have the plastic tube that pokes out of the bracket. I just dont get it. In the last picture you can see the water between the roof and first flap of lapping sheetmetal.
And help would be awesome I'm kind of thinking I'm going to have to remove this rack for the 3rd time.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,802 Posts
You don't use silicone. Buy new "FJ -RR Hardware" kit with mastic and fiber washers. And the "Bracket-Roof Rack" w/ the plastic tubes. Check the part numbers via Amazon if you have Prime? or CALL Roman at Cool Springs Toyota Parts Dept in Franklin, TN. (615) 861-8524 and tell him we sent you.

Nice Rack!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't use silicone. Buy new "FJ -RR Hardware" kit with mastic and fiber washers. And the "Bracket-Roof Rack" w/ the plastic tubes. Check the part numbers via Amazon if you have Prime? or CALL Roman at Cool Springs Toyota Parts Dept in Franklin, TN. (615) 861-8524 and tell him we sent you.

Nice Rack!
Does this hardware kit come with all the hardware for all 12 holes? I cant seem to find a picture of the kit.
:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
145 Posts
Sometimes the water is not coming from where you think, gravity kicks in. Take a hose and try working your way up the pillar to the roof, keep it in the same area to ensure it has time to soak. For the roof take some tape and a trash bag and isolate each bolt. Good luck!

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

1 - 9 of 9 Posts