Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny thing happened today. I dropped by an auto wreckers (old high school friend) to ask about the possibility of locating some "OEM Fog light switches" for my FJ. I also heard that maybe the Tacoma's might work.

So we went for a walk through the junkyard and looked in the Tacos that were there. No switches but the weird part was that he had 4 very good shape 98/99 Tacos in the junkyard that did not seem like the trucks should be there.

I asked him about this and he said the frames were totally (unsafe) rusted out and Toyota was buying back these trucks for 1.5 times the Blue book value. They would then send them to the junkyards with the condition that the trucks be stripped down and NOT be resold. (VIN number and all).

I hoped Toyota fixed that problem before building FJ's. :cheers:

Anybody else hear about problems like this?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Apparently they did fix it if it was specific series of years of Tacomas that they bought back.
But, yes i have heard of Toyota doing this. Go on any other forum for other vehicles. One thing they will bash about the FJ is saying "hope the frame doesn't rot out on ya"

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Interesting, seems to be news to me.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Frames, clutches, transmissions, diffs and windshields.. Other that that, they seem good to go,,, Ron

Apparently they did fix it if it was specific series of years of Tacomas that they bought back.
But, yes i have heard of Toyota doing this. Go on any other forum for other vehicles. One thing they will bash about the FJ is saying "hope the frame doesn't rot out on ya"

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
he had 4 very good shape 98/99 Tacos in the junkyard that did not seem like the trucks should be there.

I asked him about this and he said the frames were totally (unsafe) rusted out and Toyota was buying back these trucks for 1.5 times the Blue book value. They would then send them to the junkyards with the condition that the trucks be stripped down and NOT be resold. (VIN number and all).

I hoped Toyota fixed that problem before building FJ's. :cheers:

Anybody else hear about problems like this?
Yes,
It's true. Many of the frist generation Tacoma frames were rusting through and Toyota is doing a proper adjustment in my opinion. 1.5 times the Blue Book value is a reasonable settlement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think this is a definate concern. All the old yotas rust easily. Anyway to prevent rusting under there to gain frame life?

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
"I hoped Toyota fixed that problem before building FJ's. :cheers:

Anybody else hear about problems like this?"

The problem was not a Toyota production problem. From what I understand the steel from a vendor was not treated properly prior to shipment to the assembly plant. The defect was limited to Tacoma and did not affect any similar vehicles from other assembly plants (ie FJ, 4Runner, Hi-Lux, Prado). the problem was also magnified in parts of the country that use salt or other corrosives on the roads in the winter months.

Toyota has received lots of props in some other forums for stepping up the problem and paying out more than trucks book out for. :bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts