Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching ideas for a roof rack mount but none of them fits my budget. This is what I came out with that fits my budget. I hope this will help?

Items you need:

1. Quick Fist Rubber Clamp (small: holds item 1" to 2.25") = $7.99 a pair at Cabela's (you need 2 pairs). = $ 15.98

2. 1" Split Ring Hanger = $ 1.71 a piece at Menards (Plumbing Dept.) (you need 4) = $ 6.84

3. 1" Threaded Rod (3/8) = $0.33 a piece at Ace Hardware (you need 4) = $1.32

Total Cost: $ 24.14 + TAX (Total of 4 mounts) 2 for Shovel and 2 for Axe.

Note: You can add some lock washers and washers for few cents extra for added security.

I did not try to do for the Hi-lift because I dont have one yet. I need to buy me a Rock Slider first then I will need a Hi-Lift Jack. :hitit:

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Nice! Looks nice, throw a coat of clear-coat on the shovel blade. It will help it hold up in winter against the rust. Cheap paint on shovel spades cuz they figure you'll just scrap it off right away.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Great set-up. I was just at Cabella's and cant believe I didn't think to see if they had the Quick Fists. I was hoping either Lowes or Home Depot would carry them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great set-up. I was just at Cabella's and cant believe I didn't think to see if they had the Quick Fists. I was hoping either Lowes or Home Depot would carry them.
It's hard to find those Quick fist clamp. Im sure you wont find them at local hardware store. Maybe a hunting store? You can also use it for the Hi-lift jack, but i did'nt try it yet.:clap:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Looks nice, throw a coat of clear-coat on the shovel blade. It will help it hold up in winter against the rust. Cheap paint on shovel spades cuz they figure you'll just scrap it off right away.
Thanks!It's just the beginning!I have a long list....:rocker:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I picked up my Quick Fists at a marina/boat type store.

FYI, the rubber on the quick fists will start to sag / bend. I ended up flipping my shove to the inside so the weight rests on the rack crossbars. The shovel wasn't sagging enough to worry about, but my axe was.

Also, I used a different type of clamp to attach to the rack; let me see if I can find my thread....

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is perfect! Just what i was looking for! Wasn't about to spend 4x that price to buy a set of 2 of those! Great idea! I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to pull this off! Thanks for the pointing me in this direction!

·
Registered
742 Posts
about to do this mod myself, waaay cheaper

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been searching ideas for a roof rack mount but none of them fits my budget. This is what I came out with that fits my budget. I hope this will help?

Items you need:

1. Quick Fist Rubber Clamp (small: holds item 1" to 2.25") = $7.99 a pair at Cabela's (you need 2 pairs). = $ 15.98

2. 1" Split Ring Hanger = $ 1.71 a piece at Menards (Plumbing Dept.) (you need 4) = $ 6.84

3. 1" Threaded Rod (3/8) = $0.33 a piece at Ace Hardware (you need 4) = $1.32

Total Cost: $ 24.14 + TAX (Total of 4 mounts) 2 for Shovel and 2 for Axe.

Note: You can add some lock washers and washers for few cents extra for added security.

I did not try to do for the Hi-lift because I dont have one yet. I need to buy me a Rock Slider first then I will need a Hi-Lift Jack. :hitit:
Thanks very helpful. Any easy way to lock them on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Finally found the split ring hangers the commercial plumbing's supply house. Question : How did you enlarge the hole in the quick fist from a quarter inch to 3/8 of an inch? Will a standard drillbit do it?

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Looks nice. :cheers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you order Small or Mini quickfists?
I got the size that "Holds objects 1" to 2.25" ". They are too large for yur standard shovel. You have to pull the strap to almost the last notch to make them secure. I believe I will reorder the smaller ones I think they were 3/4" to 1.5".
BTW got the holes drilled out--a neighbor drilled out the holes with a special flat nose bit. I would recommend 5/16", a little smaller than the 3/8" to make it a little more snug. I am not sure if I am going to like the set up--the mounted shovel is a little floppy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am liking this idea the best. I have been looking for an inexpensive way to mount my shovel on the rack for a while now.

My 4 Quick fists came yesterday, getting the hardware today and I will mount everything tomorrow.

I bought 4 so I will have to get an Axe also. :)

Thanks green frog!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts