Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, Amazon has quick fists. I did a similar thing so that I could mount a fully extended large tripod (without camera) while driving around on refuge roads. I attached original size quick fists to the rack with just heavy duty cable ties. Not for anything heavy, but it's held up fine for a year so far - I don't leave the tripod ($$) up there, except when I forget about it...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I got all my parts and made the mounts and installed them this weekend.
I plasti dipped the mounting hardware for the rubber coating and black effect.

Thank's Greenfrog!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I loved the idea of the quickfists, but I was hoping to find a more versatile solution - something I could use to mount stuff on the rack but also use for other purposes if the need arose. That is pretty much the name of the game at this point: versatility.

I came up with this, which was worked fairly well for the last month or so.

2x "PONY" 4" hand-clamps per tool.

They are made of plastic and they look like sh*t, but they work great to hold stuff on my GOBI Ranger and can be repurposed to hold all kinds of stuff if necessary.

Got these for $3/ea on sale at Sears when I bought my shovel. I didn't figure they would work as well as they have and was planning on going the same route as everyone here. So far, they are holding well and I am going to keep them around.

I've run these offroad, in the rain, snow. Did a couple 200+ mile runs on the highway too, no problems yet. They hold well and have the added benefit of being bright orange so I can find my rig in the parking lot ;-)

Can't find the specs for what they are supposed to be able to hold, but whatever my shovel and axe weigh, they do just fine holding those.

(anyone know why my images appear flipped? They are right-side up on my machine, including Photoshop...)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great job I'm going to steal your idea if you don't mind. Thats why I love this forum people helping people and more idea's the better at least we don't have to wait for a Chinese company to invent it than pay top dollar,. Again thanks and I think you did a great job

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wouldnt it be the cheapest to just use hose clamps? They might not be the prettiest but they will work and are supper cheap compared to this or other ways to mount an axe an shovel!:grin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for sharing this, gonna save me some bucks!

Edit: Went and bought the parts today. Couldn't find the 1" Split Ring Hangers at either Ace or Home Depot. Had to go to Lowes. So I would start there if you're looking to do these mounts.

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been searching ideas for a roof rack mount but none of them fits my budget. This is what I came out with that fits my budget. I hope this will help?

Items you need:

1. Quick Fist Rubber Clamp (small: holds item 1" to 2.25") = $7.99 a pair at Cabela's (you need 2 pairs). = $ 15.98

2. 1" Split Ring Hanger = $ 1.71 a piece at Menards (Plumbing Dept.) (you need 4) = $ 6.84

3. 1" Threaded Rod (3/8) = $0.33 a piece at Ace Hardware (you need 4) = $1.32

Total Cost: $ 24.14 + TAX (Total of 4 mounts) 2 for Shovel and 2 for Axe.

Note: You can add some lock washers and washers for few cents extra for added security.

I did not try to do for the Hi-lift because I dont have one yet. I need to buy me a Rock Slider first then I will need a Hi-Lift Jack. :hitit:
from where can i buy this tools

21 - 34 of 34 Posts