Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I'm comfy again. I'm the most difficult person when it comes to my back comfort since I hurt my lower back a while ago. I have done this trick on every Mitsubishi I've owned, except one with Starion Leather seats.

Lumbar support SUCKS in practically every car seat I've ever had- Usually the lumbar support is too high if it even has any at all.

Take a $10.00 (walmart) Blood Preasure kit- manual of course - tie one of the hoses in a knot. You don't need the gauge. Then get access to the front of the seat back, and slide the rubber bladder up as far as you need to for your back.

Route the hose anywhere that is easily accessable to your hand while driving, and you're done.

This is an awesome comfort device on any trip longer than a few miles. So if you are like me and never comfortable, try it. I just did it to my brand new FJ and it took 30 minutes. No part of the seat is modified or harmed in any way.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I like that idea, I'm gonna go buy the stuff and try it out. Wheres the zipper on the seat, if there is any?

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that idea, I'm gonna go buy the stuff and try it out. Wheres the zipper on the seat, if there is any?

You don't need to unzip anything.

Look under the back of the seat and you'll see a flap; lift that up and unhook the two elastics holding it down. Then notice three little wire rings- they hold the two bottom sections of seat covering together. Remove them. Now you'll be able to slide your hand right up the front of the seat back between foam and seat outer covering.

Thats it- it's a tight fit for your hand, but after you get the bladder up there, sit down and through trial and error you'll get it just right.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Good thinking!!!:thinkerg:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I'll try this!!! I'm currently using a small pillow!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Very cool!! Corbeau seats use the same system. I'd never have thought of the blood pressure kit, virtual rep points for you!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I looked at the picture first and was going to ask if it can also measure your blood pressure. Then I read your post. Brilliant!!

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I had a 1985 Celica GT-S (Supra seats) that had a similar arrangement from the factory with three bladders and the sphygmo bulb to inflate them.

Ingenious, inexpensive mod. :bigthumb:

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
Great idea mrGuy :clap:. I need extra lumbar support with all vehicles I've owned.

I purchased lumbar supports for my Wet Okole seat covers and they are just like this bag and pump thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
thank you so much for this great idea. My back hurts easily on a no so supported seat back. Haven't got my FJ yet. But this will be the 1st mod when I get mine. I'll try it on my Wrangler now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Did it this last weekend. Works great! Thanks so much for the idea and details.

A couple of notes.
1. INSTALL. When installing, after the rings are removed, recline the seat, and pull the seat cover forward from the front, where the seat bottom and back come together. It makes it very easy to reach into for positioning. I put a strip of double faced tape on the back of the airbag, because it tends to drop down when the seat material is reattached where the rings were. I did reattach, to keep the cover material from being loose.

2. OVERSIZING. I didn't do it, but if you want a larger size, you could combine two of these kits. Cut the meter line to the length desired, and connect it to the air inlet line of the second bag (you won't use the second inflater bulb). On the second bag, tie off the line to the meter. When you pump, air will go to both bags. In a couple weeks, will decide if the broader coverage is needed for my back.

Again, thanks for the idea and instructions! Ron

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Great idea, I looked at the aftermarket lumbar bags and dicided it was a PITA but this looks quite simple. Good Job!

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did it this last weekend. Works great! Thanks so much for the idea and details.

2. OVERSIZING. I didn't do it, but if you want a larger size, you could combine two of these kits.

Your Welcome! We "Back Comfort Aficionados" have to stick together:cheers:

One thing about the "TWO" air bladders- I failed to mention in the orginal post that there is a LARGE size air bladder avalaible the you can switch with the normal size that comes with the blood preassure kit. I guess for those "plus size" amoung us.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
and here i thought the wet okole lumbar setup was the way to go but i had to wait to buy the covers...

great idea.

·
Registered
504 Posts
great idea, it can double to check your BP next time you get into a tight spot :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would leave a thank you. I just bought an FJ. Love the vehicle, but after having it for a couple of weeks and one long day of driving for work, my back was killing me. I found this thread and went and bought a blood pressure cuff. I installed it between the seat padding and the springs. This causes the support be be more spread out and feels like a factory lumbar support. Best $13 I have ever spent.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts