Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subwoofer link

Watch Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This is a drop in replacement for the factory subwoofer driver that still utilizes the factory built in amplifier. The GRS 8SW-4 is a great cheap option that makes a huge difference to volume and sound quality with minor enclosure modifications that don't require full disassembly. poly-fill and mild sound deadening makes a huge difference and helps stops unwanted vibrations. The factory amp pushes around 100watts though this driver which is plenty for lots of sound. SIMPLE WIRING AND INSTALL MAKES IT A GOOD NOVICE UPGRADE

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Gas Steering wheel Circle Motor vehicle

Attachments

Admin
First post and you're selling something??

馃

Registered
Subwoofer link

View attachment 1211714

This is a drop in replacement for the factory subwoofer driver that still utilizes the factory built in amplifier. The GRS 8SW-4 is a great cheap option that makes a huge difference to volume and sound quality with minor enclosure modifications that don't require full disassembly. poly-fill and mild sound deadening makes a huge difference and helps stops unwanted vibrations. The factory amp pushes around 100watts though this driver which is plenty for lots of sound. SIMPLE WIRING AND INSTALL MAKES IT A GOOD NOVICE UPGRADE

View attachment 1211712 View attachment 1211713
Subwoofer link

View attachment 1211714

View attachment 1211712 View attachment 1211713
Nice post. Could you be more detailed in how to wire it up and what you used for deadening in the front and what specifically is the white stuff- cotton?

Premium Member
Looks like just poly-fill;
if so, any craft store Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart (?), should have it, even some of the dollar stores.
D

Reactions: Inside_egg

Registered
The factory sub is a dual voice coil design. I don't really understand what that means other than it has two pairs of speaker connections. As a result, I replaced mine with a sub that also had dual voice coils. Is this sub dual or single voice coil? If single, how does this sub wire up, given that?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice post. Could you be more detailed in how to wire it up and what you used for deadening in the front and what specifically is the white stuff- cotton?
Sound deadening is killmat from Amazon and the white stuff is poly-fill "synthetic pillow stuffing" wiring is just connecting the two output pairs into one and plugging it into the speaker.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The factory sub is a dual voice coil design. I don't really understand what that means other than it has two pairs of speaker connections. As a result, I replaced mine with a sub that also had dual voice coils. Is this sub dual or single voice coil? If single, how does this sub wire up, given that?
It's single 4 ohm. The factory one is dual 3 ohm wired parallel so it's a 6 ohm speaker. Just tie the two output pairs into one. The amp can handle the lower impedance just fine. Mine has been installed for 2 years with no issues

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

馃
Not selling something just trying to let people in on my budget upgrade while the driver is only $20 when I bought mine for $35. I love the factory enclosure and this retains it without adding an aftermarket amplifier while still sounding great.

Admin
Not selling something just trying to let people in on my budget upgrade while the driver is only $20 when I bought mine for $35. I love the factory enclosure and this retains it without adding an aftermarket amplifier while still sounding great.
Then welcome!

Admin

馃
For people interested/curious.... vendors have to pay to advertise on this site... hence the questioning since this was his first post.

Any further questions with rules can be directed to mod/admin staff.

Registered
thanks for the suggestion, just ordered one to give it a shot-- price is right and hoping this gives a little 'extra' to the sub without a full replacement

1 - 13 of 13 Posts