Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up for $100.00 locally. They were intended for pharmaceutical company sales reps to keep their samples in. Very high-quality Japanese made fridges. Holds steady at +/- 38 degrees, very quiet while running, only uses about 40 watts of power. Designed and tested to run three years straight. Only bad points are 25-QT capacity and no freeze option but for $100.00 I thought it was a deal. Much better option than everything else in that price point.

Envirocooler™ ActiVault™ is the name of the cooler.

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
Hey, whatever works right? Can't beat the price!

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
@RJT Did you mean 25 quart capacity rather than gallons ?

That'd still be enough for important stuff like meat and dairy products on short trips.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@RJT Did you mean 25 quart capacity rather than gallons ?

That'd still be enough for important stuff like meat and dairy products on short trips.
Yes 25 qt capacity. lol That was my thinking it would be plenty for weekend trips and such. I try and keep perishables to a minimum anyway so figure it would be plenty big. Dont get me wrong would love to get a large ARB one day but think this will do for now. You can find these on Ebay if anyone is interested in one. A little higher price but I think still worth it for what it is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Keep in mind the old..GWYPF thing. ARB and Engel are built for very low current draw and off-road jarring. But for the price I would try one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked this up for $100.00 locally. They were intended for pharmaceutical company sales reps to keep their samples in. Very high-quality Japanese made fridges. Holds steady at +/- 38 degrees, very quiet while running, only uses about 40 watts of power. Designed and tested to run three years straight. Only bad points are 25-QT capacity and no freeze option but for $100.00 I thought it was a deal. Much better option than everything else in that price point.

Envirocooler ActiVault is the name of the cooler.
Where do you buy them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
Correct.... :laugh
This fridge would be great if used for what it is intended.

Not knocking your choice but adding the ARB in the title is misleading

Their is a reason a ARB costs $900 and this one costs $100
This one uses 40 watts, the smallest ARB uses 27 watts and is almost twice the capacity and will go to 0 deg. F
Facts^^^^

My opinion:
Save 8 more Ben Franklins and buy a fridge/freezer designed for a off-road/camping vehicle
You will be glad you did in the long run when this one runs your battery down and your milk spoils because the fridge temperature is 60 F
And your camping breakfast of biscuits and gravy turns to granola bars and jerky

:cheers:

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,094 Posts
Good observation @Bar3K. 40W is about 3.5A and about the same as the electric cool boxes on sale, here at least. They typically works to around 16 deg C below ambient temp so in the same ball park as this. So perhaps it is, as the name suggests, an electric cooler rather than a refrigerator and that’s the subtle difference reflected in the price. Here a decent cooler is around £100 ($140) and a fridge £700

Yes you’re right a cooler draws more power but is fine if you’re not leaving it running whilst parked for any length of time and will remain cool if sealed for some time without power. A fridge is certainly much better and much more efficient but not a justified expense for us all. I used a Norwegian Food Flask (‘Norge container’) for years before I spent a fortune on a fridge, no regrets on either.

Title edited to reflect comments.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This fridge would be great if used for what it is intended.

Not knocking your choice but adding the ARB in the title is misleading

Their is a reason a ARB costs $900 and this one costs $100
This one uses 40 watts, the smallest ARB uses 27 watts and is almost twice the capacity and will go to 0 deg. F
Facts^^^^

My opinion:
Save 8 more Ben Franklins and buy a fridge/freezer designed for a off-road/camping vehicle
You will be glad you did in the long run when this one runs your battery down and your milk spoils because the fridge temperature is 60 F
And your camping breakfast of biscuits and gravy turns to granola bars and jerky

:cheers:
Yes, I am aware of the differences in the ARB and this one. It will serve my purpose until I get an ARB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts