Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Downloaded the free version of the "Torque" app a few months ago and bought a Bluetooth OBD off ebay ($24). It works great. I have since downloaded the paid version, I think it was $4.

Great easy solution for under $30.

All gauges can be S, M, Large, standard gauge, digital, or graph. You can set up 6 screen and just shuffle between them. I am still able to link pandora and phone calls to my Headunit using bluetooth without messing up the app.

I mainly just wanted a way to keep an eye on my MPG.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was actually talking to my friend about this yesterday. Would happen to have a link to bluetooth obdii dongle you bought? They are around 50 on amazon, and would like to save if possible.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Pretty darn cool. How/how accurately does it calculate mpgs?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Re: OBD bluetooth using an Android phone.

Downloaded the free version of the "Torque" app a few months ago and bought a Bluetooth OBD off ebay ($24). It works great. I have since downloaded the paid version, I think it was $4.

Great easy solution for under $30.

All gauges can be S, M, Large, standard gauge, digital, or graph. You can set up 6 screen and just shuffle between them. I am still able to link pandora and phone calls to my Headunit using bluetooth without messing up the app.

I mainly just wanted a way to keep an eye on my MPG.
Nice! What kind of mounting for the phone are you using? Looks clean.

Side note: Does anyone use a similar app for iPhone?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: OBD bluetooth using an Android phone.

Nice! What kind of mounting for the phone are you using? Looks clean.

Side note: Does anyone use a similar app for iPhone?
Rev2 is available from the app store. Its by DevToaster and you need the PLX Kiwi wifi adaptor. It's pretty awesome

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The mount is from Bestbuy, it has a bunch of adapters for iphone, tomtom, megellan, XM. I already had the motorola Droid suction mount. I removed the phone part from the motorolla mount and it was an exact fit with this new mount using the megellan or the XM adapter. Its made by IQ smart solutions and I found it over by the gps area. Also I got sick of my phone automatically going to car dock mode when I put it in the cradle. So if you pop the center cover off of your mount there is a little magnet that I pulled out. On droids the car dock, bedside dock mode are triggered by magnets. I also wired in a walmart cig lighter (marine one, plastic housing) behind the dash and ran the wire up and out the trim piece, to keep the cables clean. Did this instead of hard wiring it just in case my next cell changes the plug type, and to maintain the inline fuse in the charger housing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/IQ+Smart+Solutions+-+Dash+Mount+for+Select+Mobile+Phones+and+GPS+Devices+-+Black/9788617.p?id=1218175866849&skuId=9788617&st=gps mount&cp=1&lp=1

The unit I bought was from autodoctor007 on ebay $26 shipped I have not had a single problem with it. But any ELM327 bluetooth obd should work.
OBDII OBD II CAN BUS V1.4 scantool Bluetooth ScannneR - eBay (item 250748410954 end time Jan-26-11 22:42:45 PST)

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty darn cool. How/how accurately does it calculate mpgs?
I have only been on one kind of long road trip to the outer banks back in Dec. It was dead on.

I mainly use it to keep my right foot lighter. I try to see how low I can keep my average on my daily commute. Plus I love gadgets and gauges!

If you go to youtube and search "android torque" you can find some videos that show it in action.

(also anyone here know how to change the title from "ODB to OBD"?)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very cool! Just what i have been looking for!

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the ebay link. Just ordered :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am about to order one of these units and was just wondering if there is any chance of it draining the battery when the FJ is off for a few days. I know that the OBD plug always has power even when the car is off and although I doubt it requires much to run, I still have some concern about it draining the battery. Anyone have any issues with this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just got one of these from ebay, thanks for posting up!! Seems like it would be a pretty cool tool, and a lot better graphics than the ScanGuage. :clap: Having a bit of a problem though, and couldn't find an answer on the mini cd that came with it. When I plug in the adapter, the green light comes on for just a split second, then it's a solid red. I assume it is supposed to be green so long as everything is working properly. My phone (DroidX) shows that it is "paired" with the OBD adapter, but not "connected." And the Torque app doesn't recognize the adapter as being plugged in either. Any ideas? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just got one of these from ebay, thanks for posting up!! Seems like it would be a pretty cool tool, and a lot better graphics than the ScanGuage. :clap: Having a bit of a problem though, and couldn't find an answer on the mini cd that came with it. When I plug in the adapter, the green light comes on for just a split second, then it's a solid red. I assume it is supposed to be green so long as everything is working properly. My phone (DroidX) shows that it is "paired" with the OBD adapter, but not "connected." And the Torque app doesn't recognize the adapter as being plugged in either. Any ideas? Thanks again!!
I bought the similar cheap model from Amazon and it would pair but not stay connected. I gave up on it and sent it back.

From what I have read, the PLX adapter is supposed to be reliable, but I'm not convinced to spend the $100 to find out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought the similar cheap model from Amazon and it would pair but not stay connected. I gave up on it and sent it back.

From what I have read, the PLX adapter is supposed to be reliable, but I'm not convinced to spend the $100 to find out.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. Not boding well for the success of my newest gadget. :boohoo: Anyone else have ideas/thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Subscribed to this thread and awaiting ideas/solutions as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried to connect while car is running? I remember a little issue of pairing them but I fixed right away but don't remember how. I am still very happy with my setup and haven't had any issues. Maybe you recieved a defective unit?

I am deployed right now, but will be back home soon, I will try to set it up on my wifes droid to see exactly how I set it up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts