Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have been surfing these forums for about 3 months now and I have finally registered! :wave: I wanted to get some suggestions on what cheap upgrades (under $400) you all think I should invest in. I already have a 3" RC Suspension lift, Man-A-Fre LCA's, and Total Chaos rear lower link skid plates. As for tires, I have already budgeted for my 285/75R17 tires for my stock FJ Rims until I can afford to get some decent wheels. Any suggestions? I am looking for something that will be useful to me out on the trail.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Welcome aboard! You'll find a host of information herein and lots of opinions on what is needed for off-road travel. In addition to what you've already done, I'd suggest doing the Scuba Mod, adding rock rails and definately skid plates! Bud Builts of course...

As a side note, you'll see alot of mods done that look great and impress friends, but are not functional or really necessary.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I'd highly recommend rock sliders (or rock rails as some call them).

I'm very happy with my set from Trail-Gear, but I know there are quite a few options out there.

I'd then recommend spending the rest on recovery gear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll probably invest in some sliders and a full set of skids next!

·
Registered
493 Posts
A good upgrade you can do also it an set of ToyOutfitters LCA's. Much stronger than the OEM ones. Throw on a set of link armor, front and rear, and some lower shock armor too.

Did you read through the "The First $2000" thread? Good information there on what mods to do.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html

A full set of skids will run you $800 to $1000+, depending on what you get.
(Budbuilt, Ricochet, All-Pro, Man-A-Fre)
Not really what i would call cheap. They could pay for themselves once,
if you take some damage on a trail in a remote area and have to pay be towed out.
I just finished priming my set of Budbuilt skids.
These things are built like armor plate for a tank.
Here is a pic of them hanging to dry.

Good stuff!

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have to concurr..
TrailGear sliders - easy bolt up and great price..
Toyoutfitters LCA's - ditto. (Replace the crappy rear shocks while you're under there..)

·
Registered
35 Posts
TG sliders are f#rking awsome! Saved me a ton of $ in body work. There is a group buy going on till 3/28. Definately some recovery gear. If not a wnch, get a good strap and a come-along. A scuba mod is also one of the cheapest mod that'll save your [email protected]# if it is wet where you wheel. A decent cb wouldn't hurt either. Probly get the sliders , basic recovery gear and cb for under $600. Good luck and happy modding !

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about a tank of CO2 :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Ky, how much did you save painting them yourself?? Within the next couple months i will be purchasing some budbuilt skids. Thanks.

-Ryan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Ky, how much did you save painting them yourself?? Within the next couple months i will be purchasing some budbuilt skids. Thanks.

-Ryan
I ordered the 5 PC Combo for my 2010. It would of cost $212 extra for the
powdercoating. As far as painting them goes, i ended up getting a deal on a
gallon of Rustoleum 7400 System Industrial, Red HD Rust-Inhibitive Primer,
and a Gallon of the DTM (Direct to Metal) 450 VOC Alkyd Enamel in Gloss black.
A closeout store in town here had them for $6.99 a gallon!
Cleaned and de-greased the skids, and hung them on the swing set in the back yard. Used a trim roller to paint them, and they came out great so far. It got cold here again, so i will have to wait until it warms up to paint them with the black. Use a small brush to paint the details around the brackets and holes, then use the roller for the main area. A small roller is the way to go on them though.
So i have $14 in paint, $5 in rollers and brushes, and a few hours of my time.
Hope this helps.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ordered the 5 PC Combo for my 2010. It would of cost $212 extra for the
powdercoating. As far as painting them goes, i ended up getting a deal on a
gallon of Rustoleum 7400 System Industrial, Red HD Rust-Inhibitive Primer,
and a Gallon of the DTM (Direct to Metal) 450 VOC Alkyd Enamel in Gloss black.
A closeout store in town here had them for $6.99 a gallon!
Cleaned and de-greased the skids, and hung them on the swing set in the back yard. Used a trim roller to paint them, and they came out great so far. It got cold here again, so i will have to wait until it warms up to paint them with the black. Use a small brush to paint the details around the brackets and holes, then use the roller for the main area. A small roller is the way to go on them though.
So i have $14 in paint, $5 in rollers and brushes, and a few hours of my time.
Hope this helps.

KyFJGuy
I guess you did save quite a bit. I was thinking of doing the same thing but i just want to make sure if i paint myself to make it as durable as possible. Obviously you skid over rocks your going to get scratches and chips. Im thinking in the long run what will hold up better. Man, im torn. Saving over 200 bux is pretty good though. You can always touch up later too. Hmm, im still torn,lol. I think im over thinking it but having pro's doing it vs. myself is what gets me. :jester:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I guess you did save quite a bit. I was thinking of doing the same thing but i just want to make sure if i paint myself to make it as durable as possible. Obviously you skid over rocks your going to get scratches and chips. Im thinking in the long run what will hold up better. Man, im torn. Saving over 200 bux is pretty good though. You can always touch up later too. Hmm, im still torn,lol. I think im over thinking it but having pro's doing it vs. myself is what gets me. :jester:
I don't think that powercoat is that durable really.
It just might look a bit nicer initially.
I figure I can just crawl under with a roller and some paint and just roller
the scratches and cover them up. You could try an Epoxy paint,
or something like they paint bulldozers and other earth movers with.

What ever kind of paint that is, it seems pretty durable.
It took about 2" of that gallon to do 2 coats of primer on them.
I should have ALOT of paint left to do touch ups with when i'm done.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think that powercoat is that durable really.
It just might look a bit nicer initially.
I figure I can just crawl under with a roller and some paint and just roller
the scratches and cover them up. You could try an Epoxy paint,
or something like they paint bulldozers and other earth movers with.

What ever kind of paint that is, it seems pretty durable.
It took about 2" of that gallon to do 2 coats of primer on them.
I should have ALOT of paint left to do touch ups with when i'm done.

KyFJGuy

What about that line-x stuff?? I most likely will paint these myself. But ide like to do some good research before i paint. Im not sure the color i want yet but i think i want to go 2-tone for some reason as a different approach artistically. Its all up in the air for now but i do want something tough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would defiantly start with adding armor skids and rock rails. I had my rock rails powder coated but ended up sanding them down and painting them with rust paint after 2 years. the rust paint do not hold up as good but is easy to touch up.

As for the skids if you use them it doesn't mater what you paint them with you will take off anything you cover them with, Keep it simple you will be crawling under there and repainting it once or twice a year.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
As for the skids if you use them it doesn't mater what you paint them with you will take off anything you cover them with, Keep it simple you will be crawling under there and repainting it once or twice a year.

Good luck,
That's one main advantage of Ricochets - anodized aluminum, so no paint or powdercoat to deal w/ and they'll never rust :cheers: I have a full set and am very happy with mine. For $850 it's a good price, and shipping is cheaper b/c they are lighter. Obviously not as strong as Bud-Built or other steel plates, but unless you plan on doing some serious rock crawling Ricochet's will hold up great. And I think if you PM cnckart he'll give you a 10% discount for being a forum member (don't quote me on this though...). If you can't afford the whole set at once, I go with the front, engine, and transfer case skids and the cross member.

I have the TG sliders and have so far been pleased with them. The main advantage more expensive options have (that I've seen) is the kick-out in the rear, which can help save your back panel from damage. But other than that I think the TG are plenty strong.

A great plave to get recovery gear (and where I got mine) is Overland Warehouse. They have a bunch of different combo options and when I was doing my research a year ago they had the cheapest prices around for the quality of the gear.

If you're set on a max of $400 I'd go with the Ricochet front skid (even if you have the stock bling plate, Ricochet's is 100% better), TG sliders, and the Overland Weekend Warrior Kit.

Oh, and everybody keeps recommending LCAs, but he said he's got Man-A-Fre LCAs already :king:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Football! Yeah my LCA's were my first purchase. I read the "First $2000" thread but I just wanted to get some more opinions. I can't afford a full set of skids just yet so I will have to buy them in pieces. I'll buy the engine skid first and work my way back!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Thanks Football! Yeah my LCA's were my first purchase. I read the "First $2000" thread but I just wanted to get some more opinions. I can't afford a full set of skids just yet so I will have to buy them in pieces. I'll buy the engine skid first and work my way back!
No problem :cheers: My personal opinion would be to start w/ the front bash plate and work your way back (maybe that's what you meant, but the engine and front bash plates are 2 different plates, at least for Ricochet). The first time I took mine off roading I mangled the factory bling plate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts