Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a bump to see what you guys think of your Y-pipes now that they have been installed for a while. Any issues with rust on the DT? I live on the coast in northwestern Mexico, just south of Arizona so things rust pretty quick here. Any leak issues? How is the sound? I do alot of highway driving and don't want to deal with a loud drone. Any change in MPG? Thanks for the info.
Any comments from you guys that have had the DT Y-pipe installed for a few months?

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I got two gaskets from Toyota.
I am guessing you bought the factory gaskets. These are too small and will still have leaks and a raspy sound and a loss of power. You need the size ones URD sells, i believe 2.25 inch. You might be able to find these at a local auto store as long as it is not some stupid employee that asks
"what vehicle is it on?"
It is an aftermarket setup, i just need a 2.25 inch gasket
"if you don't tell me what vehicle i don't know how to find it"

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well I ordered the URD ones but Doug Thorley forgot to put them in the box. They are sending me them but I was getting tired of waiting on everything. I will go and see if I can find the right gasket at the auto parts store this weekend. Could be fun.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just read all 13 pages andso far I found that the difference between both Y-pipes is SS vs. Aluminized Steel. It also seems that URD one will have better flow as it looks streighter then U-bend of DT.
I'm living in Canada with 5-6 month of winter, so rust is very important issue for me. Do you think DT wouldn't rust and will hold 10 years? Or better go with SS URD.
Another question is CA or CARB approval. What is that? Why its not street legal in California? What inspection are you talking about? How the inspector will know if there should be 2nd pair of catalitic converters? Good think that O2 sensors are in front of them, so replacing will not trigger any lights. Would URD pass the inspection? I'm asking as here in Ontario we have once a year emission control and what they do is put various sensors in your exhaust, under the hood, on the dash and on top of the hood to see the emission level. I never saw anyone look under the truck, or may be all my vehicles were too new for a different inspection. Sorry, I never been in California and unfamiliar with their by-laws.

I'm thinking of putting JBA exhaust on my truck andupgrading Y-pipe as well. I know that most likely I'd need to modify JBA, because my frame is 10cm longer, but Y-pipe should be the same. I'd be interested in seing pictures of both DT and URD Y-pipes installed and especially clearance view as I'm off-roading with my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Is anyone that installed a Y Pipe regret or unhappy with their expectations of the performance? Just curious. Interested in specifics/results/dyno etc. as well.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Just read all 13 pages andso far I found that the difference between both Y-pipes is SS vs. Aluminized Steel. It also seems that URD one will have better flow as it looks streighter then U-bend of DT.
I'm living in Canada with 5-6 month of winter, so rust is very important issue for me. Do you think DT wouldn't rust and will hold 10 years? Or better go with SS URD.
i had mine on one month and saw signs of rust. If you want it to last, buy the URD. But it costs more than twice what the DT costs
Another question is CA or CARB approval. What is that? Why its not street legal in California? What inspection are you talking about? How the inspector will know if there should be 2nd pair of catalitic converters? Good think that O2 sensors are in front of them, so replacing will not trigger any lights. Would URD pass the inspection? I'm asking as here in Ontario we have once a year emission control and what they do is put various sensors in your exhaust, under the hood, on the dash and on top of the hood to see the emission level. I never saw anyone look under the truck, or may be all my vehicles were too new for a different inspection. Sorry, I never been in California and unfamiliar with their by-laws.
THere is no way you could pass an emission test if you remove the two main cats. The pre cats are a lot smaller than the ones that get replaced with the y-pipe. It would be illegal in every state but i don't know about Canada. ps i thought the roads in new orleans were bad, that was till i rode on some roads in saskatchewan. They fix holes by turning the road into gravel, haha.

I'm thinking of putting JBA exhaust on my truck andupgrading Y-pipe as well. I know that most likely I'd need to modify JBA, because my frame is 10cm longer, but Y-pipe should be the same. I'd be interested in seing pictures of both DT and URD Y-pipes installed and especially clearance view as I'm off-roading with my truck.
The URD crosses under the transmission IIRC and the DT goes around the transfer case. Both remove the low spot of the factory exhaust cross over.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Can anybody post a video of the sound please??
The sound makes the JBA catback i have just a little bit louder. But it sounds close to the same as whatever else exhaust you have, be it stock or whatever.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Is anyone that installed a Y Pipe regret or unhappy with their expectations of the performance? Just curious. Interested in specifics/results/dyno etc. as well.
The only person i have heard complain of it is DomG. BUt he, as well as myself, were some of the early adopters. Bc of this, we did not get or know we needed new, larger crush gaskets, 2.25". So, we had exhaust leaks.

Even with my slight exhaust leaks, i could definitely feel a power surge past 2500 RPM. Where as with the stock setup, it is a steady pull throughout, after 2500 with the y-pipe, it starts to pull noticeably harder.

No dyno test though, just what i have felt having it on and off.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The only person i have heard complain of it is DomG. BUt he, as well as myself, were some of the early adopters. Bc of this, we did not get or know we needed new, larger crush gaskets, 2.25". So, we had exhaust leaks.

Even with my slight exhaust leaks, i could definitely feel a power surge past 2500 RPM. Where as with the stock setup, it is a steady pull throughout, after 2500 with the y-pipe, it starts to pull noticeably harder.

No dyno test though, just what i have felt having it on and off.
Did you guys get yours through the 'rub' buy? :rofl:

121 - 135 of 135 Posts