Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fairly new 2007 FJ to me, 85k miles. No issues until the snow hit.

Been [dry] 4 wheeling a couple times - no issues.

The trouble started when the snow hit. Snowy drives twice now (4wd needed the first time, only 2wd used 2nd time) and it seems after driving in cold slippery conditions, the check engine light and all traction control lights come on. The first time they went off by the end of the day (brief 4wd used), this 2nd time (2wd only), they are still on the following day.

I know it's a broad issue, just figured I'd see if anyone had any insight. Toyota service scheduled in 1 week in case I don't figure it out.

I searched here and surprisingly didn't find anything specific to this issue. Thanks in advance and apologies if it's been covered already (I'm sure it has).

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you scan it to read the codes?

Most auto parts stores will scan for free. You need to know codes before you can figure anything out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Hundreds of posts here on the instrument panel "Christmas tree", causes, and corrective action.

Search and you WILL find ...

Only one of the lights is directly related to the traction control system ... if you don't have the Owners Manual, download it from the Toyota.com website: (Owners>Resources>Manuals & Warranty).

The manual will define the function of each of the warning lights; the code scan will help you isolate the problem that's triggering the warning lights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you scan it to read the codes?

Most auto parts stores will scan for free. You need to know codes before you can figure anything out.

Thanks again, this "scanning" stuff is new to me, never needed to "get a scan" in my old Silverado lol.

Stopped by Toyota first, they were too busy to scan/check it out until next week and the lights went off before I could get to a car parts store for a scan.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the next snow squall for this "Christmas tree" issue.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Ya, so many things will turn those lights on. Gotta have the error codes before zeroing in. Something as simple as a loose gas cap can cause this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks again, this "scanning" stuff is new to me, never needed to "get a scan" in my old Silverado lol.

Stopped by Toyota first, they were too busy to scan/check it out until next week and the lights went off before I could get to a car parts store for a scan.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the next snow squall for this "Christmas tree" issue.
It actually might still show a stored code even though lights are out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll keep the oil fresh, gas tank full, gas cap tight, air filter clean, tires good - sensors and lights be damned!

Black tape fixes everything (including the flashing calibrate compass light that I can't get to stop flashing even after reading the manual and doing what it says).

I'll post if a scan shows anything.

Other little issues popping up, I hope this isn't an on-going thing... Otherwise loving the new-to-me FJ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll keep the oil fresh, gas tank full, gas cap tight, air filter clean, tires good - sensors and lights be damned!

Black tape fixes everything (including the flashing calibrate compass light that I can't get to stop flashing even after reading the manual and doing what it says).

I'll post if a scan shows anything.

Other little issues popping up, I hope this isn't an on-going thing... Otherwise loving the new-to-me FJ.
Just fyi when I first bought mine the battery had a bad cell. Threw all kinds of weird codes. Unless you know for sure it's good you might have auto parts store test it also. Doesn't hurt too and it's free to have done. My compass wouldn't calibrate correctly when the bad battery was in mine. Not saying it is that for sure but free to check it anyway. Love my 07 with 222xxx miles. LOL

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Very likely the codes are stored. An intermittent problem can cause Christmas tree lights, then with next ECU check if problem isn’t occurring, lights out. On-again/off-again codes are often something simple like bad brake switch, dirty MAF sensor....make an appointment to have Toyota use their scanner as it can read more types of codes than an auto store unit. Will be worth the peace of mind. Let us know what happens! Love the ‘07s....mine is still happily rocking at 157k :wink

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apologies for the uneventful post, but I couldn't get myself to pay the $115 for a Toyota scan, not knowing if the codes would even show (lights are off now). The Toyota guys couldn't guarantee that the codes are stored and were pretty short with me.

Will wait until it happens again and see if an auto parts store free scanner shows anything. Autozone tested my battery and it's primo.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and I'll post an outcome when I have one.

Now I have to figure out why my Clifford alarm/start fob isn't working out of the blue... New battery in fob didn't fix and I don't think my early model has a valet switch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lights returned. Per Autozone - bad crankshaft sensor.

There's tons of horror-story threads regarding this code here on the forums, I'm going to stop reading them and try not to panic.

A friend referred me to a good Toyota mechanic here in town, hopefully he can help me form a plan of attack.

The irony of all this is that I ditched my 230k mile Silverado for the FJ (85k miles) to try to avoid the inevitable problems of a high mileage vehicle. I'm feeling like I may have made a mistake...

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Pull off all the sensors on each wheel... clean em off and put some dielectric grease on each plug.

Check each wire as well as has been stated previously.... if there is a thin part then it's a break inside the insulation. Those wires are incredibly thin and are known to break inside the rubber coating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pull off all the sensors on each wheel... clean em off and put some dielectric grease on each plug.

Check each wire as well as has been stated previously.... if there is a thin part then it's a break inside the insulation. Those wires are incredibly thin and are known to break inside the rubber coating.
Even with this diagnosis of crankshaft sensor? Sounds easy enough though, will do.

This all started the first day it got freezing cold out. The lights seem to come on on the colder days, off when it warms up. Lots of reference to cold weather affecting the timing chain on FJ's. We'll see. FJ runs like a champ.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
I've heard numerous people report weird things happening with a low battery.... maybe with the colder weather a bad battery is exhibiting issues?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Autozone checked the battery when they did the scan - good to go!

I was kind of hoping it wasn't, that would have been an easy fix...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So a local shop cleared the codes a couple weeks ago and they have not returned. Crossing my fingers it was a fluke.

Summary of below in advance: 1) I'm a dumb-ass sometimes. 2) A $3 tube of door lock de-icer/lube could have saved me $220 and I'd still have an alarm and remote start.

My other issue was the Clifford alarm/remote start stopped working out of the blue. Replaced fob battery and still not working. I thought the alarm issue was immobilizing the locks (as it was designed to when armed) as the key would not budge in any door. Local shop removed the alarm (for a large fee, always ask price before service! doh). Still, none of the doors would unlock with the key. I had a new key made - $8 from Toyota, nice! But no change. The Toyota parts guy said "Hey, longshot here, this FJ came from a colder wetter area, maybe the locks need lube.". I sprayed all the locks with a $3 de-icer/lube and all of them work now. Durp.

So because of the previous remote unlock option, nobody had used the key in any door for 10 years and all locks were frozen/dry/cranky and just needed a squirt of something slippery. I hope that reading my dumb-ass backwards approach to this issue helps someone else and I suggest to anyone reading this to grab a $3 tube of de-icer and give your locks a squirt regardless of miles or age or geography.

I'll post back if the warning lights come back on, happy trails.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts