Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading various threads and it seems like cold weather seems to be most peoples problem with this. It's 45 degrees here today and mine came on so I don't thing that's my problem.
So last night I'm in the middle of nowhere, coming home from Thanksgiving dinner with the family. My battery light came on, my alternator had died/wasn't charging and I ended up stranded and had to call for a tow. This morning I bought a new Alternator, installed it, and everything was hunky dorey..... for awhile. I went for a test drive and all was good. Battery light was out and voltage meter was right where it should be. I ran through the car wash and as I was driving home, rounded a corner at a greater rate of speed than usual, and all of a sudden my Check engine light came on, followed by the three traction control lights immediately below it. I got home, turned the ignition off and back on again and sure enough, the lights came back on. Not sure what could be causing this, but the battery and all connections are solid as I double and triple checked them. Any thought, ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been reading various threads and it seems like cold weather seems to be most peoples problem with this. It's 45 degrees here today and mine came on so I don't thing that's my problem.
So last night I'm in the middle of nowhere, coming home from Thanksgiving dinner with the family. My battery light came on, my alternator had died/wasn't charging and I ended up stranded and had to call for a tow. This morning I bought a new Alternator, installed it, and everything was hunky dorey..... for awhile. I went for a test drive and all was good. Battery light was out and voltage meter was right where it should be. I ran through the car wash and as I was driving home, rounded a corner at a greater rate of speed than usual, and all of a sudden my Check engine light came on, followed by the three traction control lights immediately below it. I got home, turned the ignition off and back on again and sure enough, the lights came back on. Not sure what could be causing this, but the battery and all connections are solid as I double and triple checked them. Any thought, ideas, suggestions?
Car wash have a spray option for the under carriage?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Others jump in. Would a wheel speed sensor do this? High pressure car wash? I get all of the lights including traction control with the check engine light due to a leak in the evap system that I can't find.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to an Advance auto and have the check engine light looked at. Once you find out why the light came on report back for advice.
And the result is: P0420. Odd that I'd get a cat converter fail code immediately after an alternator failure, so I'm wondering if it's something else along those lines. Did a little looking around and found that a poor ground on the battery can cause it. Since i had taken out and re-installed the battery as part of the alternator replacement that's sounds likely. except I cleaned the post and cable clamp and used some dielectric grease on it when I reattached it. So that shouldn't be it. I see faulty 02 Sensors can cause that reading as well and at least they're electrical, so the failing alternator could have damaged them I guess. And I ran across a number of other things like restricted air flow, MAF sensor being dirty, etc. etc. I'm open to any thoughts that anyone might have and thanks in advance for anything you can give me. It'd be nice to have my traction control back again before snow falls....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update for everyone. First, thanks for the suggestions and recommendations everyone! I started with the simplest thing and I think I had some success (fingers still crossed). Even though the battery ground was clean and tight, I took it off and wiped all the dielectric grease off it, then I really cranked down on it and tightened the bolt as hard as I could without breaking it. The traction control lights have been out for about 24 hours now so hopefully that's not just a coincidence. I've learned from this though that I apparently need to clean my MAF Sensor and throttle body though and plan to do that this Spring when the weather is a little warmer. Maybe that will help my gas mileage some. Premium gas and 12-13 mpg gets pricey.... Thanks again everyone for your help and hopefully those dash lights will stay out!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess I spoke to soon with my update. Halfway to work this morning, after being off for about 36 hours all the traction control lights came back on again. So it looks like it wasn't the battery/ground connection after all. This weekend I guess I'll try cleaning the MAF Sensor and the Throttle Body and see if that happens to take care of the problem. If not I guess it's on to the 02 sensors and then the cat converter.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Check your O2 sensors - the same light pop on when I make a run through wet stuff. I replaced them 2x, but the problem is always there after a long mud run or when it is pouring kittens out. I just reset the ECU or cancel the code with Scangage and motor on...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check your O2 sensors - the same light pop on when I make a run through wet stuff. I replaced them 2x, but the problem is always there after a long mud run or when it is pouring kittens out. I just reset the ECU or cancel the code with Scangage and motor on...
Thanks. A friend of mine's son is a mechanic who owns his own shop and he told me that to reset an ECU, most people don't know you can disconnect the battery cables and hold the positive and the negative cable ends together for 30 seconds, which will reset an ECU back to factory settings. Ever heard of that?

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
That's a new one to me... and I'm a certified Youtube Mechanic! :geek:🤣

Sounds like your engine light has remained off though? It's just your traction lights now?

Cold weather doesn't have an adverse effect on that.... (-45 at times during the winter).
Although issues may appear a bit sooner if it's already having problems.... dunno.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Sounds like your engine light has remained off though? It's just your traction lights now?

Cold weather doesn't have an adverse effect on that.... (-45 at times during the winter).
Although issues may appear a bit sooner if it's already having problems.... dunno.
That's correct, Check Engine light is off and only the traction control lights are on.

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
I wonder if a wire got stretched/broke during the tow?

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
If its just traction lights you need to go have the codes read for that system. I don't know that a parts store will be able to do this for you. Take it to your friends son and have him read the codes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well, it was just the traction control lights, but now the check engine light has come back on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts