Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Check List

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  BIGGUY 
#1 ·
OK, here is a draft emergency equipment checklist. Chime in and hopefully we can make it a sticky. This list is assuming that all of the listed equipment is preped to deploy. The last thing you need in an emergency situation is an equipment-themed Easter egg hunt!

Deployment Kit

Level 1 - Daily Personal Inventory
Level 2 - Extended Personal Inventory
Level 3 - Daily Vehicle Inventory
Level 4 - Extended Vehicle Inventory
Level 5 - BUG OUT!

Each level contains the gear listed above it. Example: Level 3 has all of the gear listed in Levels 1 & 2.

Level 1 (On Person)
Knife and/or Multi-Tool
Wallet
Keys
Sturdy Belt

Level 2 (In Cary Bag)
Personal Medication for 1 Day
Flashlight
Eyeglasses or Safety Glasses
Log Book and Pens
Water Bottle
Bandanas
Lightweight Goves
Exam Gloves
Hand Sanitizer
Phone Charger
Altoids
Snacks
Government ID Card

Level 3
ARES/RACES Door Decals
Vehicle First Aid Kit
Rope/Twine
Water
Dog Food
MREs
Toiletries
Flash Lights
Zip Lock Bags
Trash Bags
HD Gloves
Ham/CB/FRS Radio(s)
Camp Towels
Eating Utensils
Chemical Ice Packs
Extra Batteries
Maps
Go Kit
Boots
Personal FIrst Aid Kit
Hardhat
Socks
Reflective Vest (CERT)
CERT Multi-Tool
Survival Knife
Exam Gloves
Work Gloves
Camelback
Sunscreen
Mosquito Repellent

Level 4
Hi-Lift
Shovel/Axe
Large First Aid Kit
Water Filtration System
Weapons/Ammo
Water Containers
Mess Kit
Handheld Radio w/ Extra Battery and/or Charger
Blankets
Awning w/ Sides
Multi-Purpose Soap
Rope Tensioners
Tie Down Straps
Fuel Cans (Full)
Water Canisters (Full)

Level 5
Utility Trailer
Generator
Table
Folding Chairs
Cooler
Wash bucket (Oil Drain Pan)
Stove
Stove Fuel
Cookware
Table Cover
Roof Box(es)

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this checklist of levels (Kramer: It's all about the levels) your idea, or did you get it from somewhere else? I'm just trying to figure out if this is a distilation of all of the other 'checklist' threads in this section (again), or if it's really something new and helpful that we could put to work here.

#3 · (Edited)
I like to think I came up with it. Problem is with escalation. People get overwhelmed with one gigantic list and there are different levels of preparedness that people are comfortable with. None of my CERT/FEMA/ARES-RACES training had preparedness levels. They just addressed the 'kit' as a whole. This may be better fed back up through the aforementioned orgs.

Good point on getting information from previous posts. I'll dig around and see if I can add anything from them.

#7 ·
I definitely like the idea of the levels for the purpose of progressively working toward a goal. It helps those of us who are less prepared, and who have very little resources to work with, but have a desire to be more prepared.

We can work on just the essentials for the minimalistic type of event first, and once we have something pretty well established for that 'level', we can begin to branch out and work on more serious and complex and extended scenarios.

Perhaps one aspect of the 'levels' should be some sort of sense of how long the preparation is for, and/or what the nature of the 'event' is.

...My home supplies are seperate marked organized and expiration dates kept track of...
This is a VERY valuable concept, especially for those more shoter-term types of 'events'. I've thought about this a lot, but haven't actually landed on any solid system yet. Some of my friends have quite the inventory of goods, and I know they all keep track of dates, etc to some degree, but I'm not sure if they have a consistent system or what.

So, what sort of system do you use for this?

This video is called preparedness or paranoia sums it up for me. this will also lead you where you can check out his other vids.

Preparedness or Paranoia? - YouTube
Very good, simple message. I just had my wife sit and watch it together with me, and it's exactly the thing needed to help those that aren't quite as turned on to the idea of prepping get a little spark. It's an intellectual solution tot he emotional baggage that has been packaged up with 'prepping' generally in our society.

Thanks for sharing.

A general list for people to at least look at and get started from, then they can modify it as they need for their areas and conditions. I.E. I don't have kids so I don't need to plan for them like others with kids would. Weather: Here in WY the weather can be brutal compared to other places as we can get really cold temperatures and high winds. Throw in some snow and it can kill easily in many ways. Gear: Say a chainsaw. Wouldn't do me a bit of good in my immediate area. Someone in say Oregon would probably consider it high priority because of fallen trees in a storm or fuel for the house/cooking etc.
Good point. No kids here either, but perhaps a chainsaw would be a bit more relevant for us since we do actually have some of those things they call trees around these parts. Very good point. Prepping for your geographical area...

#4 · (Edited)
I think its a great starting point for anyone to design their kit after. Of course not everyone will have a generator or fema training but to me having some of these classes as well I see exactly why you go where your going here.
I dont have all the items youve listed but I like to think Im prepared for my area.I keep a BOB in the FJ my EDC backpack goes with me if im away from the FJ or home in the 4runner or at work. My home supplies are seperate marked organized and expiration dates kept track of. When I started my prepping I took a lot from a guy on youtube ex special forces medic channel name is AnalyticalSurvival. I will post up a link.
I like this I think if you help one person get ready that wouldnt have been youve done good! I will go through FJ in morning get a good list of my kit post it up see what you think.

#6 ·
A general list for people to at least look at and get started from, then they can modify it as they need for their areas and conditions. I.E. I don't have kids so I don't need to plan for them like others with kids would. Weather: Here in WY the weather can be brutal compared to other places as we can get really cold temperatures and high winds. Throw in some snow and it can kill easily in many ways. Gear: Say a chainsaw. Wouldn't do me a bit of good in my immediate area. Someone in say Oregon would probably consider it high priority because of fallen trees in a storm or fuel for the house/cooking etc.

#8 ·
Quote OCR14A: I just had my wife sit and watch it together with me, and it's exactly the thing needed to help those that aren't quite as turned on to the idea of prepping get a little spark. It's an intellectual solution tot he emotional baggage that has been packaged up with 'prepping' generally in our society.

Thanks for sharing.

Im glad you like it. Thats what I love about his videos very no bs approach to survival of you and your love ones. On the storage for home. I bought a stackable metal rack/bench from lowes. I try to keep a months supply of food for my family. Some rice,noodles,mre's,mountain house meals,water,snacks. On the food items I just put a notebook right with it when I put something new in I label it and write it in the notebook.Now this is not to mention whats in your house that you keep around for daily or weekly meals. I think when people look at whats in there home they would be suprised how long it could be rationed out. Just like water people forget that they have either a 40 gallon or 55 gallon clean storage tank of water usually right in the pantry hot water tank. Just needs shut off so its not wasted if the water stops. Plus I will admit I just enjoy doing it.

#10 ·
...Im glad you like it. Thats what I love about his videos very no bs approach to survival of you and your love ones. On the storage for home. I bought a stackable metal rack/bench from lowes. I try to keep a months supply of food for my family. Some rice,noodles,mre's,mountain house meals,water,snacks. On the food items I just put a notebook right with it when I put something new in I label it and write it in the notebook.Now this is not to mention whats in your house that you keep around for daily or weekly meals. I think when people look at whats in there home they would be suprised how long it could be rationed out. Just like water people forget that they have either a 40 gallon or 55 gallon clean storage tank of water usually right in the pantry hot water tank. Just needs shut off so its not wasted if the water stops. Plus I will admit I just enjoy doing it.
Ya, more-so what I meant was your system for this...

...expiration dates kept track of.
So, you just write them in the notebook. How do you maintain the store? Do you just kick stuff out when you notice that it's expired, or do you have a schedule for checking things individually, or as a whole, or what?

Some of my friends that keep a lot of stuff in their prepper warehouse simply use it as an extension of their pantry. When they need something in the pantry or cupboards in the kitchen, they take it from the warehouse, and then when they go shopping, they replenish the warehouse, not the kitchen directly.

This isn't their only mechanism for rotating the expired stuff out, of course, but it works pretty well, and makes better use of stuff than simply holding onto it until it gets old and has to be tossed.

#12 ·
What if the number of items being 'tracked' fills a few pages of the notebook (which some of my friends' clearly do). It seems like it could get unruly after a while.

What would "a quick glance at the notebook" look like in this kind of scenario?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.