Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Just ordered one from PureFJ, will update this older thread with my observations.

I am planning on carrying an Academy outdoors plastic tub trunk with about 15lbs of recovery gear and a tarp for my trailer 10lbs.

I will probably add the Smittybilt jerry can mount, too.

I will probably load and unload the Jerry can each time I open the rear door to avoid undue stress on the hinge/frame.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I love that rack, I'd love to have one. I am interested to hear how it is holding up as far as the finish and quality goes.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Got the rack in. Took about 30min to install, very easy.

I decided to bolt two Smittybilt fuel carriers to the sides.

Concern with weight is an issue, but not so much with the door closed.

I plan to carry empty cans and fuel up near the off road park I frequent. I also plan to remove the fuel cans before opening the rear door.

If the weight is too much I will relocate the brackets to the roof.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Any updates on this?

Any issues Larry or other?
Well, that was a loooong time ago !!! :lol:

I had no issues with the Wilderness Trail rack, and we still sell them...but my FJ has gone through several changes over the years (this thread was from 6/2009), and the trail rack is no longer on my FJ - however, I installed it on a friend's FJ, and the current owner still has it on today - no issues with strength, rattles, or paint...a quality product, as are all Garvin Industries (Wilderness) products.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
With my heavy tire and full Geri on the back I must lift the door for it to align enough to close.
CC,
Probably not good for the long run!….gm

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I should have rephrased that to "They're gonna sag sooner or later" :lol:
D,
No doubt, but only if you open the door!
LOL….gm

·
Registered
905 Posts

Any pics of the whole truck from the side? I've been drooling over this rack, just not sure how far it extends beyond the spare tire. Also curious about general proportion.

Thanks! Nice street name, BTW.

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Nice Rack!