Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I got a bug, ove the holiday, to check the kits in our two vehicles. Found expired medicine, and empty Camelback, expired food rations and some descrepencies in inventory. Got it sorted out in a hurry.

It is a good idea that whenever you set something up that you calendar maintinance for it. Example, if you install a new air compressor, you may want to set up quarterly checks on it. Leaks, electrical issues, loose whatevers... How about the bag you put the air chucks in? Can you find it?

This has baan a Public Service Announcement brought to you by Private Enterprise.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,932 Posts
Nice reminder. Check your tools too. I ran out last night in the dark to rescue the kid and the 1 wrench I needed was not in there. Luckily, I got her going and home safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup definitely need to pay more attention to that, I needed my bungie cords the other day to secure a load and they weren't in their spot so it wasn't a fun ride home.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Great tip!
I like to add reminders for things like this (things that expire, that matter) to my calendar in Outlook. That way, when it comes up, I can add it to my short-term task list, and get it taken care of. For everything else, there are checklists :cheers:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I live in south florida we start up generators every month wanna make sure they work good just in case of power outage June 1st is the start of hurrican season

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I live in south florida we start up generators every month wanna make sure they work good just in case of power outage June 1st is the start of hurrican season
Same here in Jersey. First of the month I fire up the generator for a few minutes. Neighbors think I'm a bit anal but we'll see which one comes over first with an extension cord after the first big storm hits.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I check my generator once a month too. Mainly to make sure the coffee will brew at camp since the power doesn't go out very often here like it did when I lived in NJ. I have recently been grouping all the like equipment together in the shed and garage...camping stuff, car stuff, fishing gear, emergency essentials, all grouped in their own spot. Huge nylon inexpensive duffels are great for stuffing all your camp gear, kitchen gear, fishing gear in its own cocoon.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,836 Posts
Yep. Time to get the winter bag out and to wash and repack things for the season.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have about ten Rubbermaid Action Packers for gear. Two are for basic camping gear, one for fly fishing stuff, etc., and i have a content checklist stuck to the inside of each lid. I open them twice a year and check everything and double check before I load them. I love a good checklist:clap:
Hey Datajockeys, you have an interesting list of mods there. I'd be interested to see what kind of power distribution you have done. Not real sure what some of those mods are.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,836 Posts
I'm not near that organized. I have a winter bag and a summer bag along with a camping pile, a misc. pile, an I'm not sure what's in it pile, and a couple of smaller ones.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to empty my FJ out since it is going to the body shop. Wow there is a lot of cr^p! Good time to reorganize.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some idiot stood on my roof while loading the rack (not me). Dents, scratched to metal and a crease. Talked to the owner of the company and he would have nothing to do with fixing it. My insurance is having his insurance pay for it.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,932 Posts
The Power went out last night around 9pm. A transformer blew down the road. The blast got all the neighbors outside, the FLASH was spectacular! I was outside on the upstairs balcony when it blew.

So I went into the garage, grabbed the plastic $5 Flashlight & it crumbled in my hand. Must be the heat here and the age of it. I checked it 2 months ago. It was a good LED, Oh well! So I grabbed the D cell Coleman fluorescent lantern & nothing! The connections were corroded. Grabbed the Battery Jumper Cable box w/ 110V power inverter & LED lights. I figured I know I charged this one 3 weeks ago and I could run a fan in the bedroom and hit the hay right?!? DEAD! No A/C, No Fan! :flame:

My wife went into my kit and got out the Surefires, while I got out the Goal Zero Gear.

I always put my phone & iPad on the charger as soon as I get home. She watched a movie on the pad, I ended up getting a call to go to work. :flame:

I think I'll pick up some Di-electric grease to help combat the corrosion on the battery contacts due to the heat, humidity and salt air. Any other suggestions???

·
Banned
9,090 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
a little bit grease goes along way on protecting nuts and bolts . i use alot when in a hurry i use vasalean . south florida alot of stuff rusts quick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts