Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were on a rough and tight mining road last week. I hit a rock very hard, and created a sidewall hole in the front tire. We nursed it to a spot where we could change to the spare. The FJ slid off the stock jack, where it was wedged under the front axle. Saved by my air bag jack!

We installed the spare. In 1/10 of a mile, it was flat and in shreds. Here is what we had when we reached the trail head, after 4 miles.

Check your spare. If it is old, replace it. Fourteen-year-old tires, even if they look unused, don't hold up well to rocky trails.
20200422_153656.jpg

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Yeah I believe tires go bad in about 7 years. 14 years seems darn crispy :) 5 tire rotation helps keep the tires from dry rotting simply because you are using them up :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
What was the pressure in the spare when you mounted it on the front hub?

What was the final solution to get you back to civilization?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True stuff about rotating the tire. It was a road tire, not the 10-ply off-road, so I never bothered.

Yes on the 7-year limit. On the RV, I am a very serious about that - a blow-out can be very serious.

Spare for the car? Probably never need it. Only need it for a few miles. It'll hold together in an emergency. Blah, blah.

Yep.

Alignment done today. New rim ordered. New tire to match the one I bought the other day should be here Tuesday.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tire pressure of the spare was 16 pounds, matching the other tires aired down. No doubt the tire would have held together better with full pressure, but I of course don't know if it would have gotten us home, came apart a tenth mile later, or blew up at 70 MPH on the interstate heading home.

My wife and a friend met us at the trailhead, and took the good rim to the tire place just a few miles away. I think 4WD would have been necessary to get to where the second tire failed, and her full-size truck would have been a mess from getting there. This was really more of an ATV trail in its current condition. We had a lot of winter rain, and the foliage went nuts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes on that. My worry was that the OEM alloy wheel would break from hitting the rocks, and I would need to reinstall the flat service tire and wheel. THEN I might get to the trailhead with no usable rim to put a new tire on.
Matt B

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Tire pressure of the spare was 16 pounds, matching the other tires aired down. No doubt the tire would have held together better with full pressure, but I of course don't know if it would have gotten us home, came apart a tenth mile later, or blew up at 70 MPH on the interstate heading home.

My wife and a friend met us at the trailhead, and took the good rim to the tire place just a few miles away. I think 4WD would have been necessary to get to where the second tire failed, and her full-size truck would have been a mess from getting there. This was really more of an ATV trail in its current condition. We had a lot of winter rain, and the foliage went nuts. View attachment 1127222
The scratches...….*twitch...twitch..."...….must.....polish...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand the "twitch," but not for the FJ. It is a tool - probably a year since it got any more than a hose off.

This gets the polish... wife's truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts