Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Long story short, I’ve been driving a Toyota RAV4 for the last couple of years and while it is an absolute reliable ride, I’ve been so bored driving it. This has prompted me into selling it where I should be making about $4500 off of it if all goes as planned.

I’ve always been more of a 4Runner guy but just recently I saw that an 2007 FJ Cruiser is for sale at a dealership down the street. They’re asking $11,599 with 145,572 miles. It’s a 6 speed automatic with the extra stick. Overall the body and interior appear to be in great shape and the CarFax is clean.

This would be mainly my weekend ride since I commute via train each day, so I thought that might work to my advantage with its miles being a little higher.

Does this seem like a good deal with that much mileage? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Make sure you are OK with the limited visibility - neither of us would have one for a daily driver.

Expect a MPG drop from the RAV4. Wife loves her RAV4 - to me it is not so exciting!

I have read that early 2007s had a rear axle that was not as strong - verify before you accept this. Probably not an issue unless you go off road. Research fender bulges, and know what to look for!

There are better judges than me around, but the price looks good.

Despite my criticisms above, we love our FJ and would miss it dearly. It is driven mostly off-road, and it is the best tool for the job.

Matt B

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Look for the same as you would any other vehicle.

"It’s a 6 speed automatic with the extra stick"

If it is a 6 speed it is a manual, the automatic is a 5 speed.

On early FJ there was an strength issue with the rear differential BUT it was limited to specific range of VIN's. Not ALL early FJ's had the issue as many are lead/repeat to believe.
Check for fender bulges/cracks. It is common for earlier FJ's to have them. Cause for them is still unknown.

If you can post a link to the sale it would help us nerds give a better idea of what you are looking at and rattle off our opinions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, Matt. I've taken note of the fender bulges, that's pretty strange but looks easy enough to spot out. I'll definitely take a look and see if I can find any signs of warping - and also check out for rust! Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Greetings Austin! Welcome to the forum.

As I just stated to another forum & FJ newcomer: We bought ours new in '07. My wife had totaled her '98 4Runner (hydroplaned) and we went to the dealer looking for a certified used 4Runner. We drove the new FJ more for grins & giggles, but something about it captured my wife's focus. After much thought & consideration, she decided on the FJ. Mind you, she absolutely LOVED her 4Runner; but after a few weeks/months in the FJ, she stated definitively (and she is not one prone to exaggeration) that she would choose the FJ over ANY vehicle in the world!

It does have major limited visibility, but my wife has been using it as a daily driver for 12+ years, and she still loves it.

So if you're bored with the RAV4 and are "more of a 4Runner guy", based on my wife's experience you should love the FJ.

Obviously that is one person's opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I thought it should be shared.

Now regarding the worth/value of the one you are considering purchasing, I'm not qualified enough to give useful guidance on that. I can say that if you haven't already perused the first 'Sticky' at the top of the Introductions & New Arrivals thread in the Newbie Town section of this forum, then definitely start there: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/663274-jimmy-buffetts-complete-guide-buying-selling-fj-cruiser.html.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you should come to Texas and buy mine instead. :D

we'll throw in some legit Texas barbecue too!

If you like the 4 runner, i also agree you'd love the FJ, especially as a weekend driver. It's a lot of fun!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Matt. I've taken note of the fender bulges, that's pretty strange but looks easy enough to spot out. I'll definitely take a look and see if I can find any signs of warping - and also check out for rust! Thanks again.
We were on a ride recently, and stopped to talk rigs to some people. One of the other group noticed the crack in our fender liner. Just a line of about 1.5 inches, along the trough of a factory stamped crease. I had looked maybe 40K miles ago, and saw nothing. I will check it when I change oil, but it is way down on my list of worries!

We have over 100K on our FJ, always loved, but rarely treated kindly. It is a monster, and I have been amazed at the places it has gone. We did a gnarly ride in California - At the end a guy with a worried look, riding in a built Jeep stops us and asks "Did you drive that trail ON PURPOSE?" On a different ride, a Jeep friend called on the radio for a break. He was being beaten by the washboard wash, and needed a break and some drugs for the pain. I didn't tell him I had been driving with one hand, sipping soup from a mug, and listening to tunes in AC comfort!

They look cool too!

Matt B

·
Registered
482 Posts
My husband has a RAV4 and it is boring. I love my FJ and want to keep it forever. I drive it on the weekends and in bad weather and it's the best in snow. Jimmy Buffett's guide is great and think nationwide in your search to find the FJ you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had my 07 TRD since new. Rear carrier bearing was a major expense, rear door/window key lock corroded and broke (still broke). Otherwise brake pads at 125k and one upper ball joint has been it. Over 150K now.
You get used to the visibility issues, but the small fuel tank is a pain.

Warn front & rear bumpers, warn winch, old man emu 4" progressive lift, extended control arms, 285/75/16, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got mine in New Mexico with 95K miles and it exceeds my expectations all the time.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I have an 07 with 152,000 miles on it. Runs like new. I`ve had it for 13 years now. Visibility IS NOT A PROBLEM! Mine has had fender tears for 12 years now and they don`t cause any problems. Its my Daily Driver and I offroad it probly once every week or two. I have maintenanced it religiously and the only problem it ever had was the alternator died at around 84,000. Its a great vehicle. I will have it for many many years to come. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Service history....Rear Diff ??although at that mileage probably would have already had problem...Trans fluid replacement at scheduled intervals..rust??..go through all gears..2WD and 4WD...
Enjoy the ride...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts