Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking this black 2007 out this weekend. They only want 8k for it out the door and the bottom is in pretty good condition. I'll bring a wrench and give it a few taps to check for the usual rot but overall it looks pretty darn good. It will be a fun ride to customize of I get it. I'm having the dealership give it a thorough inspection and if repairs are needed I'm having them list them for me. First thing to go will be those rusty nerf bars! It just came in the lot so they haven't had time to detail it yet so I'll get a better idea of what I'm looking at Sat.

Car 2

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Nice price. Even if theres a little work to do. it will be worth it.

Reactions: Detroit77

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice price. Even if theres a little work to do. it will be worth it.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm having them check all the seals and joints, exhaust, transmission etc. before I buy it.

Depending on what they say It could be a great opportunity to get a nice FUNCTIONAL project car. The mileage isn't that bad either. If it was any other ride I'd be worried but FJ's are practically bulletproof. 200k is barely broken in lol.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. I'm having them check all the seals and joints, exhaust, transmission etc. before I buy it.

Depending on what they say It could be a great opportunity to get a nice FUNCTIONAL project car. The mileage isn't that bad either. If it was any other ride I'd be worried but FJ's are practically bulletproof. 200k is barely broken in lol.
There are several FJs on this forum that are in the 400,000 miles and still going. They are awesome :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep - that's the price point you want brother! Don't forget to work out every accessory, drive modes, etc - drive it drive it drive it until you feel good about it. Drive that sales dept. nuts as well! @ $8k, you got a little in your original budget if something goes boom down the road. If something isn't right, don't be afraid to leave the headache on the lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - that's the price point you want brother! Don't forget to work out every accessory, drive modes, etc - drive it drive it drive it until you feel good about it. Drive that sales dept. nuts as well! @ $8k, you got a little in your original budget if something goes boom down the road. If something isn't right, don't be afraid to leave the headache on the lot.
The beautiful thing is a paint job or a good wrap job will only run around me about $2,500 so I can have her sparkling and looking awesome for under 15K which is pretty good

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checking this black 2007 out this weekend. They only want 8k for it out the door and the bottom is in pretty good condition. I'll bring a wrench and give it a few taps to check for the usual rot but overall it looks pretty darn good. It will be a fun ride to customize of I get it. I'm having the dealership give it a thorough inspection and if repairs are needed I'm having them list them for me. First thing to go will be those rusty nerf bars! It just came in the lot so they haven't had time to detail it yet so I'll get a better idea of what I'm looking at Sat.

Car 2
Well I spoke with the lead mechanic and he gave me the lowdown.

-Gas tank is held up with a strap.
-Transmission lines both leak
-oil pan gasket leaks and needs replacing
(He said the engine has to come out to get at it?)
-Torn boot on front CV joint
-Radiator Leak
-One of the shocks is leaking

So this one is going to be a pass unfortunately. Even at 8k it's waaaay to much work to get into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spend the $2500 you were going to spend on bling (a wrap) on those mechanical repairs and ride it
Here's the shots they sent me after detailing it. They refuse to do the repair work themselves and want to sell it to me "as is" with no warranty. Mind you it has 214k on it and needs like 3k of work done....

More car

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Here's the shots they sent me after detailing it. They refuse to do the repair work themselves and want to sell it to me "as is" with no warranty. Mind you it has 214k on it and needs like 3k of work done....

More car
Yeah if they aren`t interested in fixing any off it I would pass on it and keep looking. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Found a great Voodoo Blue and he's having the underbody coated this weekend!! I'm pretty happy about this find. Cross your fingers lol.

Can you get the seller to send pictures of the frame / floorpans / etc before undercoating? Sometimes less scrupulous dealers may be trying to hide rust issues by shooting a coat of paint or undercoating on the bad spots to make it look better than it is...

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you get the seller to send pictures of the frame / floorpans / etc before undercoating? Sometimes less scrupulous dealers may be trying to hide rust issues by shooting a coat of paint or undercoating on the bad spots to make it look better than it is...

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
40 Posts
150k is low miles - NICE!

Make sure those goofs aren't trying to hide anything on that frame. I'd ask if they'd be willing to hold off on the undercoat until you gave it an inspection.

edit -

I attached a diagram - I'm not a mechanic or autobody expert - but I AM a connoisseur of crust, here's some areas to look when you're under that frame. The front crossmember will roach really quick if it's had a decade of exposure in the rust belt, also I've seen crossmember under the bumper, that holds moisture like a mother. Not saying you can't find specific troublespots localized elsewhere, but that's sort of my once over litmus test of "what am I getting into?" I also always check passenger side frame rail (from strut to back seat) where AC condensor drips - a lot of them will drip right down the frame rail and a decade of that can do wonders - Also check those motor mounts and the surrounding frame, make sure nothing's cracked.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like he's asking 14,070 out the door . Also offering 3,000 mile powertrain warranty for $250.

Hmmmm. It's pretty darn clean

·
トヨタ Master
9,242 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you read this?

It is a priceless tool when looking at FJs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts