Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a bumper/winch combo to my 2008 Trail Teams.

First question:
will I lose the factory skid plate? Warn was unsure.

Any recos on winches? Don't need anything crazy, just good in a pinch.
Warn recommended the Zeon 10.

While the install doesn't look too bad, I'm looking for recos on places around Chicago to do it for me. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Not sure on the skid plate. I would just do it myself, it's not very hard. It took me about two hours to install my bumper, winch, and lights, including wiring everything. You may need a friend to help lift it once the winch is installed. The warn winches are nice, but $$$. I opted for a smittybilt X20 comp, $549 shipped from amazon, it was in a demello bumper, but the warn should have standard winch bolt holes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did it myself. hardest part was picking up the bumper with my Warn Winch installed because it must have weighed 150 lbs. I could lift it but it was too difficult to maneuver and install by myself. I also installed my bumper in the back yard. I used the cardboard shipping box to protect the finish.

You keep your factory skid plate if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure. I had ordered the optional rock tray, which was pretty nice.

I have the Warn M8000. There are cheaper winches out there, but I wanted one that will last a long time. I believe you get what you pay for. It also fits well inside the bumper!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the input!

I'm on the fence between doing it myself...some say 2 hours, some say 9...but if I can do it in a weekend, doesn't seem too bad.

Now to decide between the All-Pro and Warn bumpers...decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I installed the Warn Bumper myself (my first bumper)and the most difficult part is removing the OEM components, which isn't hard or challenging. It would really help to have a friend to help lift the bumper and slide it on the 6 OEM mount bolts, but you can do it yourself with a couple floor jacks. Other than than.. easy stuff. Take your time and use a torque wrench and follow the specs, or pay someone to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts