Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Chilton have a repair manual for the fJ? if not, does anyone know if they are planning one?

I don't even know if Chilton is printing paper manuals any longer. It's been a long time since I've used/seen one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Excellent!

Thanks much for the resources.

I have had my FJ for a couple of months and have hesitated to just dig in without a map.

Since it's the first vehicle I've had that is less than 10 years old, I'm babying it a bit.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
A lot of those aftermarket manuals are pretty vague. I've had good luck with the "basic" stuff, say for a Chevy 350 V8, a TH400 or Ford C6, etc. Anything newer, you're better off going to a factory source

You can subscribe to Toyota TechInfo if you live in the US.

http://techinfo.toyota.com

A 24 subscription costs $10, a monthly costs $50. You will obviously have access to all currently updated repair data, including TSB's

I prefer All Data, which I use for all my vehicles. It also has updates, though perhaps not quite as current as Toyota. I provided the gear oil TSB from my All Data account. Usually, a 12 month subscription is $15

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ah the Chilton manual, I've got one for another Toyota product. A great resource, but not perfect. Some of the info is generic for a bunch of years of trucks, and you have to sort through charts to find the info for your model year and specific build. Is it cheaper than a factory manual?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Looks authentic from the photo, but who knows until it arrives? An All Data subscription is $12-$18 a year, depending on if you already have an account with them

ALLDATAdiy.com :: Leading Source of Diagnostic and Repair Information

I trust All Data as it correctly identifies the unique hybrid servicing needs of my Prius, including the warnings about needing the factory scantool to properly bleed the brakes. The TSB appear current

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I work for a library system, so give this a shot:

Go to your local library and ask the reference librarian what kind of databases they have for auto repair. The one I work for subscribes to Alldata, allowing patrons with a library card to access it for free. It's very comprehensive and is used by lots of repair shops and garages.

Alldata has the FJ in it's database with loads of info inside. If Alldata doesn't have what you need ask if they have other databases (the system I work for subscribes to several).

Remember it, because there are lots of things like this available at libraries. They are one of the best values a community has for the tax dollar, and a lot of times they are under utilized.

Alldata + Factory manuals + forums = hard to find a question you can't answer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts