Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this paint coming off of the wing on my bumper. I know my dealership will fix this under warranty but i wanted some opinions from forum members about if it would be more durable to have Toyota paint it or should i repaint my self with rustoleum textured paint for plastics.
Just want something that is stronger then what was on there to begin with. i don't mind keeping it silver or painting it black i like both colors just want it to be more durable

·
Registered
839 Posts
Went to the car wash and did worse damage than that to the center section of mine using the wand and holding it close to the silver part of the bumper. I saw a spot and the more I tried to wash it the worse it got, then I realized that the enemy was me. :lol: The hot high water pressure just peeled it off. Rattle canned it black. Looks better now than it did in silver and no problem so far at the car wash.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That looks like a "non-stick" issue. The plastic was not clean when painted. I had similar issues with one of the flares on my Rubicon. You never know if that'll be the only spot or more will pop off. I can tell you that the paint should stay on better than that. The wheelwell molding of a Chevy chewed off the corner on one of mine and the paint all stayed on.. Ron

Just noticed this paint coming off of the wing on my bumper. I know my dealership will fix this under warranty but i wanted some opinions from forum members about if it would be more durable to have Toyota paint it or should i repaint my self with rustoleum textured paint for plastics.
Just want something that is stronger then what was on there to begin with. i don't mind keeping it silver or painting it black i like both colors just want it to be more durable

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be nice to strip all the silver without scratching (that turns it gray) the black.
Looks to be the same color as the bumper.
I took a close look at the black plastic where the paint chipped and it had a fogged effect on the black plastic underneath the paint that would not look good at all if you just stripped the paint and left it black.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had all my silver bumper pieces Linexed........something you might consider doing. Good Luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't able to find Rustoleum textured paint for plastics. Anybody else have a good alternative i could use instead

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Did you go to Home Depot to get the rustoleum, that where I usualy get mine. I think you should just black out the bumper wings or if anything just take them off and replace them with Lucrum's bumper wing covers.:cheers:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you go to Home Depot to get the rustoleum, that where I usualy get mine. I think you should just black out the bumper wings or if anything just take them off and replace them with Lucrum's bumper wing covers.:cheers:

Funny thing is i did go to Home Depot and i think they had every kind of spray paint rustoleum makes except the textured paint for plastic. Go figure:flame:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
SO I guess you are not planning any offroading with your fj? if not let the dealer fix it for you. I just read in issue 3 magazine about how good the paint is from the factory. if you do go offroading this will be the least of your problems, as far as scratches and dings.lol! i now have many trail scrapes and Carnage. But it sure is fun doing it. If you think you can fix it yourself give it a try it really is pretty simple to do. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Canadian Tire has the Krylon Fusion textured flat black. I used this to touch up my Demello plate bumper. Was a good match to the powder coat. This will give you a bit of a rough surface on your wings not a smooth surface if that is the look you're after. CT also has the Krylon Fusion flat black without the texture.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO I guess you are not planning any offroading with your fj? if not let the dealer fix it for you. I just read in issue 3 magazine about how good the paint is from the factory. if you do go offroading this will be the least of your problems, as far as scratches and dings.lol! i now have many trail scrapes and Carnage. But it sure is fun doing it. If you think you can fix it yourself give it a try it really is pretty simple to do. :bigthumb:
I do go offroading and i do have scratches on both sides of the truck, but Scatches don't bother me, peeling paint does. I couldn't find any textured paint for plastics so i went with the Rustoleum textured for metal and a can of Rustoleum plastic primer.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
go to home depot.....get the textured black for metals.....its the same stuff as the textured for plastics.......cant find any of the textured for plastics anywhere anymore in my area....was told this is the same stuff(and it is) used both and its the same.......get some adhesion promoter spray from your local auto parts store....sray on let sit for a couple minutes then hit with the textured black rustoleum...all is good :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i sanded them down really good with some 600 grit sand paper until all trace of clear coat was gone, hit them with 2 light coats of Rustoleum plastic primer and 3 coats of Rustoleum textured paint for metal. How long should i wait before putting them back on. i was thinking 3 or 4 days to make sure they cure and are hard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts