Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed most of my 30k service yesterday. I replaced oil in the engine, front diff, rear diff and t-case. Diffs were nasty and only 2 small shavings in rear. T-case was pretty. Engine oil was a little nasty. I replaced with Mobile-1 synthetic. New engine oil filter, engine air filter and cabin filter. Also put new spark plugs in. I have not rotated my tires yet or greased zerks. I'll do that this week. Both the diffs and t-case got their allotted amount of oil and none had leaked out this morning so everything should be lubed up good.

After the service I went for a short ride and noticed a light chirping that I 'think' is coming from the rear. It occurs when I am moving and does not occur when I am stopped. I can only hear it up to about 25 mph and then the wind drowns it out. I can not hear it with the windows up. It always happens but does not happen on an 'even pattern' if you follow. I'm guessing it is a wheel bearing or my springs.

I do not recall hearing this chirping before the service but who knows if it was there or not. I haven't driven w/ my windows down for several weeks at least because of the heat.

Any ideas? My preferred dealer is an hour away so I would prefer not to have to drive that far for a little chirp.

(My FJC has an OME lift and a fair amount of gear loaded. I haven't done any mods to the axles, wheels, bearings, etc.)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Bearing? Springs? at 30K not likely. Sounds more like brakes or Drive shaft. Grease the shaft and check. Then I would check brake components, including parking brake.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bearing? Springs? at 30K not likely. Sounds more like brakes or Drive shaft. Grease the shaft and check. Then I would check brake components, including parking brake.
I doubt also it would be bearings. I thought maybe a spring was rubbing just right to chirp a bit. I'll pick up a new grease gun and grease the zerks this evening. My old grease gun (only 1 year old) decided not to pump grease yesterday. :flame:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I doubt also it would be bearings. I thought maybe a spring was rubbing just right to chirp a bit. I'll pick up a new grease gun and grease the zerks this evening. My old grease gun (only 1 year old) decided not to pump grease yesterday. :flame:
Grease guns usually last a long a time. Make sure you clean it and bleed it. (Get the air out)

·
Registered
83 Posts
888-227-8255....hello you're on Car Talk.

Could it be a wear indicator on your brakes?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
888-227-8255....hello you're on Car Talk.

Could it be a wear indicator on your brakes?
Nah - not the brakes. Wear indicators on breaks have a more consistent chirp - or even time intervals between chirps.

Have you ever heard one of the little song bird calls? They are usually a little red , circular piece of poly around a metal nail-like piece. You spin the poly and it chirps to attract or call to song birds. This sounds almost exactly like that...but song birds aren't following me to work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm. Did you run over a nest recently?

For chirping that quickly, I'd have to guess some sort of spring or suspension. Can you isolate it to one side or another? Might help to drive close to some buildings or down a quiet alley so you can hear the sound bouncing on one side or another.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Did you run over a nest recently?

For chirping that quickly, I'd have to guess some sort of spring or suspension. Can you isolate it to one side or another? Might help to drive close to some buildings or down a quiet alley so you can hear the sound bouncing on one side or another.
I've tried to isolate it but its soooo hard to do that accurately. I just need a trunk monkey.

In other news I had a big load of mulch delivered to my house yesterday. It was probably ten feet by ten feet wide by 4 feet high.

I just had to... The wife came running outside to see what the matter. She heard my passenger rear wheel squealing on the driveway. "Nothing is wrong hun - I'm just flexing a bit." The neighbors are always entertained by my antics.

I'll post pics tomorrow...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I greased my zerks yesterday. The 4 U-joints took 1 to 1.5 pumps before the seals leaked grease. I put 3.5 pumps in the rear slip joint and 3 in the front. The chirp is now almost totally gone. I only heard it a few times today on the way into work (25 minute drive) versus the whole time. I want to be careful and not put too much grease in the slip joints. Could I pump in two more pumps without worrying about putting too much in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts