Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First: thank you to all that contribute to this forum. The volume of breadth of knowledge is astounding.

The forum has inspired me to re-purchase a 08 FJC after several years away from ownership. My first foray as an owner was a bone-stock ‘13 that never saw a single upgrade through a 2 year ownership history. Loved the vehicle, and regretted having sold it.
I now have a (new to me) 08 that has seemingly lived a spared life with just 29k miles since new. I suppose the low miles make it somewhat of a unicorn among FJ’s. My mission for the vehicle will be second-vehicle toy that will serve as beach runner for weekends. I have modest off-road experience and live in coastal MA where getting to the crawling turf will be rare, at best.

At the risk of being asked by members to go back a read older posts, I am going to ask several questions to gain insight on the latest train of thought for upgrades. The questions are asked in the spirit of “if I could do it all over again, I would have chosen XYZ”.... just opinions on what works well considering many of the upgrade options have changed over the years and products many provide new choices. Budget isn’t really an issue—goal is to build the vehicle for my needs and preserve it for the next owner 10 years or more down the line.

For now I have a small punch list of items that I would like to address:

Suspension— I am leaning toward a simple 5100 adjustable set up for front/rear. Primary reason is to gain level stance, better wheel clearance for larger tires and modestly better on/off road handling. If there is a better more desirable solution, I am all ears. My current setup is all original stock and My research tells me that that this is one area that I can virtually spend and absurd amount of money on where I don’t know that I would be getting a reasonable benefit for my basic use.

Wheels: currently have EO steel on original 2008 rubber(!). Having to address the aged rubber has me thinking about a wheel change in the process. My wheel preference would be SCS F5 but Vin has advised they simply are not available as of now. Love the clean look and wide stance from these wheels. My alternative choice is a Level 8 MK6 17X8 6x139.7 Offset -10 Matte Gunmetal...wheel has a 4” backspace and I would like to go with the largest “practical” tire. Having read and reread many posts, I believe a 32.8” tire is he upper limit of fitment with out surgery regardless of wheel choice. I could not find the level 8 MK6 wheel mentioned in prior threads and that alone may be telling me to look for another choice. If anyone is running this wheel spec, I would like opinion/photos or thoughts on viable alternative. Goal is to get wider stance without spacers.

The rest of my upgrade path will follow suspension/wheels/tires. I do not plan to add material weight (bumpers/winch) to the vehicle.

Again, thanks for all that the members do to contribute thoughts and experience. Truly an outstanding resource!

(BTW: my OEM roof rack will have to go (garage clearance) if anyone is interested it will be available shortly. Same is true if I swap out the OEM Steel wheels)

·
A-Team Moderator
10,905 Posts
Welcome!

"At the risk of being asked by members to go back a read older posts"

This BS is no longer allowed and members have been banned for mouthing off such.

We'll assist any way that we can.

*1st dibs on the OEM Steel Wheels * :grin

:cheers:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am leaning toward a simple 5100 adjustable set up for front/rear.
Still a great option without breaking the bank. Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
16,624 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :smile

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome back, I live on the south coast, maybe we could hit Sandy Neck or National Sea shore some time.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
a couple of things. Believe or not the OEM steel wheels ("steelies") are fairly rare and in high demand. I advise that if you replace them, you put them aside in your attic or basement.

I like the SCS wheels and those are a good option but I would also point you to the Konig Countersteer X and Konig Countersteer Offroad as potential candidates. I would stick to a wheel no wider than 8" and backspacing between 4.0" and 4.84" (stock backspacing is 4.84"). Take a look at the offerings from FN Wheels.

I would look at the Toytec Ultimate Lift or Toytec Boss lift more than the 'adjustable' 5100 Bilsteins. The reason i put the "adjustable" part in scare quotes is that they really arent all that adjustable as you have to remove them from the vehicle, compress the spring, remove the top hat and readjust the spring land to change the height. Not exactly easily adjustable. When looking for adjustable front coilovers, you want to get the kind that have an infinitely adjustable threaded spring perch to change the preload on the spring.

The Toytec Ultimate uses the 5100 Bilstein shocks, they just put on an adjustable, threaded spring perch allowing you to tune the height.

And, you are right, you can spend big money on suspension. To me the Toytec Ultimate is the 'budget' or first level of suspension upgrade. There are plenty of others out there that have adjustable coilovers...such as Fox, King, Icon, SwayAWay, Ironman, Bilstein 6100 etc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome, Bluestar based on the philosophy of use you described, your plans for your fj is a good one.

Reactions: CRFjockey

·
A-Team Moderator
10,905 Posts
a couple of things. Believe or not the OEM steel wheels ("steelies") are fairly rare and in high demand. I advise that if you replace them, you put them aside in your attic or basement..
Thanks **** blocker :thefinger: :rofl:

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
As far as all-season tires for road and beach running go, you won't beat Cooper AT3.
I'm on my second set of these and I swear by them.
No need for the LT variant - the FJ isn't heavy enough, especially if you're not adding bars, winches, RTTs and all that bollox.
I have the stock UCA & my bodymount is unmolested - even my stock mudflaps are fine with 285/70R17 AT3
The bonus is that they aren't expensive or noisy either.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-4s/p/36849

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Welcome from California!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the suggestions, experience and knowledge that the forum offers. Vin helped me with new F5 wheels—delivery scheduled tomorrow.

Just when I think I have a simple plan... I get lured in by reading all the goodness of real adjustable coil-overs, upgraded UCAs, etc.

And...started getting uncertain about an upgrade path after reading for hours what so many have done with suspension. Feeling like I may plunk down money on a complete icon/Fox/King suspension system for the promise of being able to find good highway manners and taking washboard dirt roads with speed, perhaps a trail or two. Just don’t know what ‘value’ I would be getting for the money exactly—I haven’t ridden in a FJ with the full suspension system. Are they really worth the money? With so many owners having gone down this path and spent the money, it must be a fair value, right?

If I have strayed—tell me to go back to the modest/simple plan.
If anyone has a brand or system they absolutely love, I will appreciate the input.

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
I appreciate the suggestions, experience and knowledge that the forum offers. Vin helped me with new F5 wheels—delivery scheduled tomorrow.

Just when I think I have a simple plan... I get lured in by reading all the goodness of real adjustable coil-overs, upgraded UCAs, etc.

And...started getting uncertain about an upgrade path after reading for hours what so many have done with suspension. Feeling like I may plunk down money on a complete icon/Fox/King suspension system for the promise of being able to find good highway manners and taking washboard dirt roads with speed, perhaps a trail or two. Just don’t know what ‘value’ I would be getting for the money exactly—I haven’t ridden in a FJ with the full suspension system. Are they really worth the money? With so many owners having gone down this path and spent the money, it must be a fair value, right?

If I have strayed—tell me to go back to the modest/simple plan.
If anyone has a brand or system they absolutely love, I will appreciate the input.
To be honest, not many of us have experience of many of the suspension options, and even with the same product, opinions will vary based on how it was setup, how it's used, and vehicle setup.
I have Ironman foamcell pro suspension with the "comfort" springs and valving. These are a mid-cost setup, and they work for me. My FJ doesn't have drawers, or a bunch of crap permanently in the back, or steel bumpers, nor 1000kg of steel armour underneath. If I did, my suspension setup would suck.

I have some advice:

What is the final setup (weight!) of your FJ, and what terrain do you want to conquer?
Choose based on that, not what is the cool brand or whatever.
The front should be adjustable for height. Preferably by a rotating ring, not some clamp-on collar. You'll still have to unload the spring to adjust the shock, but it gives you much finer adjustability.
Don't worry about "level" as long as its ass isn't 100 feet in the air or dragging the ground, it's all good.
Invest in good bumpstops. These will assist the springs.

Remember, theres no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers.

If you're going to be mall crawling, theres no point in spending 20k on a custom dual shock setup, and if you're racing the Baja, theres no wisdom in buying some no name brand off Ebay.

·
Premium Member
12,328 Posts
Sounds like you are teetering on the edge of the "Suspension Rabbit Hole".

As others have stated - find your path and build from there.

The suspension sets that a lot of us have are..well….overkill. More than we'll ever need but they do look cool in the wheel well.

Only thing I can offer is that if you are going to go beyond the entry level lifts make sure that you choose a 2.5" shock body front and back. Your FJ will thank you.

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts