Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today for Christmas my parents and santa left me two gift cards that would cover the cost of new tires for my FJ from the local tire and autocare center (Dobbs). I have my selection down to three.

1.) Cooper Discoverer STT's in a 285/70/R17
2.) Firestone Destination MTs in a 285/70/R17
3.) Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 285/70/R17

I know that the Terra Grapplers are kind of the odd ones out and its like comparing apples to oranges but, of the three which will give me the longest tread life and the best gas mileage? Ive read a lot of conflicting reports about the Terra Grapplers, some people get 50k miles, some scratch by with 25k. I do want an aggressive tire which is why I like the STT's and the FStone Destinations. I don't really care about road noise or ride because I'm young and it doesn't bother me yet. So, if you guys could have any of these three, which would it be and why?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You have two semi aggressive mud terrains and a very mild mannered all terrain (IMO).
Do you really not know which of the three will give you the longest tread life and the best mileage? (answer to the rhetorical question: the mild mannered all terrain)

I don't know how anyone would only get 25K miles out of the Nittos, that is stupid short. I can get 25K miles out of my Super Swamper bias ply tires :lol:

The type of tire you need is determined by the type of terrain you will typically encounter. If i drove on the beaches nearly every weekend, i would be a moron for buying SS Iroks. They are a tire designed for the rocks and simply dig into sand too much. Likewise, if i was in the sharp rocks every weekend, i should only buy tires with robust sidewalls.

So, what type of terrain do you typically encounter and how often do you go offroading?

So, today for Christmas my parents and santa left me two gift cards that would cover the cost of new tires for my FJ from the local tire and autocare center (Dobbs). I have my selection down to three.

1.) Cooper Discoverer STT's in a 285/70/R17
2.) Firestone Destination MTs in a 285/70/R17
3.) Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 285/70/R17

I know that the Terra Grapplers are kind of the odd ones out and its like comparing apples to oranges but, of the three which will give me the longest tread life and the best gas mileage? Ive read a lot of conflicting reports about the Terra Grapplers, some people get 50k miles, some scratch by with 25k. I do want an aggressive tire which is why I like the STT's and the FStone Destinations. I don't really care about road noise or ride because I'm young and it doesn't bother me yet. So, if you guys could have any of these three, which would it be and why?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
You can go to the Tire rack web site they rate all tires. I know the Firestone destination is a good tire.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have two semi aggressive mud terrains and a very mild mannered all terrain (IMO).
Do you really not know which of the three will give you the longest tread life and the best mileage? (answer to the rhetorical question: the mild mannered all terrain)

I don't know how anyone would only get 25K miles out of the Nittos, that is stupid short. I can get 25K miles out of my Super Swamper bias ply tires :lol:

The type of tire you need is determined by the type of terrain you will typically encounter. If i drove on the beaches nearly every weekend, i would be a moron for buying SS Iroks. They are a tire designed for the rocks and simply dig into sand too much. Likewise, if i was in the sharp rocks every weekend, i should only buy tires with robust sidewalls.

So, what type of terrain do you typically encounter and how often do you go offroading?
I'm currently building up my truck to a place where I feel comfortable with it offroad. So to answer your question, the only offroad I've done is just some farm trails. But, I will be moving to CO or TX next year for college. I'm not sure what type of terrain is out in Texas but I imagine that CO has a little of everything. So, I believe that I read somewhere that you do all your wheeling in Texas, so which of those three tires do you recommend? And thanks for the fast response.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
If your going to, or are off roading, you cant go wrong with the Nittos... As for the milage. If I can have 15000 on mud Grapplers, and have 70% tread still showing! You should be able to get 50k out of the Terras. They are fairly quiet, But still have a aggressive tread for mud, sand, and trails, I know A friend with one set on a FJ that were run to ALaska n back... SO I assume they did well in the Snow...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tomorrow I am going to see what I can get. I think I've decided upon the Cooper STT's. Ive been doing a lot of research and I think these will best fit my needs. Hopefully, the store is still running their buy any three coopers and get the fourth one free. I will report back with the news and maybe pics if I can get them tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Heard good things about all three and as far as mileage goes the Firestones would win that match hand down. But they weigh more than the other too. The Nitto's are the lightest and would affect the weight at the hub the least. Coopers are good too just not as plentiful and seem to wear faster but look nice. Most of the time I see them is on P/U's with big wheels.

Buy three- one free is always an attention getter though.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I'm currently building up my truck to a place where I feel comfortable with it offroad. So to answer your question, the only offroad I've done is just some farm trails. But, I will be moving to CO or TX next year for college. I'm not sure what type of terrain is out in Texas but I imagine that CO has a little of everything. So, I believe that I read somewhere that you do all your wheeling in Texas, so which of those three tires do you recommend? And thanks for the fast response.
IMO, from what you want to do and where you might be moving, I'd pick an aggressive all terrain.

Something like the BFG AT, or GoodYear Duratrac.

If i was running just one set of tires, it'd be between those 2.

And yes i go wheel a lot in Texas. The terrain is better there than in Louisiana :)
What schools are you looking at in Texas? There are quite a few good universities there.

I am too busy to wheel as much as i'd like to, so having a mud terrain every day would be a pain to me. I like to run two sets of tires. All terrains, and then really aggressive mud terrains (currently 34" Super Swamper LTBs, though, soon to be 36" something or others :) )

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Little bit different view....

If you are going to wheel with us at Hannibal or in some spots at Wash!ta then I'd recommend either of the mud tires with the Firestones being #1. However if you aren't going to be getting in much mud then you can't go wrong with the Nittos. For better looks and performance I'd probably look at a set of Duratracs but that's just from what I've read on the forum.

I'm currently running two sets, 285/70/17 Firestone A/T's that look pretty small and aren't aggressive vs. the 295/75/16 Hankook MT's which are bigger, wider, and look much better.

If you've still got some tread left on your stockers run them until you either decide where you are going or find a set that you can't pass up. It's best to do it right the first time and not regret getting a different set.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hmmm. So I went to the store today to see what I can get. I got quoted for $2000 for four tires and all of the mounting, balancing, and every other thing they could think of for the coopers. I'm now thinking that maybe the Nittos are more in my price range. And also, is a 285/70/17 tire a weird size because the 295/70/17 Nittos are about $10 cheaper then the 285's. Also, is it possible to buy the tires, bring them to my house, then mount them at my house and air them up and drive back to the store to get the balance? Or is it just to hard to try and mount a tire in your garage? Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it.

Also, Layonnn I've been accepted to TCU but that's the only school I applied to in Texas. Right now its between TCU and University Colorado: Boulder. Just depends on who is going to give me the most money haha. But they are both awesome schools.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
$2000!!!!!!!!!! For 5-285s????

You are getting ripped off man.
Discount tire direct has the 295s for 268 (i didn't see the 285s, which my guess are going to be around 10 bucks or more cheaper).

5 x 268 = 1340.
Every tire shop i have been to has charged 15 or less for mount and balance.
15 x 5 = 75
That makes 1415 + tax. I know tax is not 600 bucks.

IMO, 285s aren't a weird size. They are the most popular size for most all vehicles wanting a little bit bigger tire. Most all real suvs and trucks come with a 265 tire now. So upgrading slightly puts you at the 285. My guess is there is more demand for them than 295s. But just a guess.

Also, you do NOT want to try and mount them yourself. I guess you haven't seen the machines they use to mount/dismount tires and how they set the beads. For the price you pay to have this done, it is well worth it.

I do everything on my truck myself. The only reason i would ever try to mount a tire is if the tire came off the wheel and i was on the trails and didn't have a spare. Any way you do it, it is either very difficult or dangerous. (ratchet strap method, or filling tire with ether and igniting it)

·
Registered
11 Posts
TIRE RACK .COM is the best place to buy tires. No sales tax and there tires are cheaper than everyone else even with the shipping cost added in. I just bought 4 bf goodrich km2 285/75r16 for $840 and that price was with shipping.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
$2000!!!!!!!!!! For 5-285s????

You are getting ripped off man.
Discount tire direct has the 295s for 268 (i didn't see the 285s, which my guess are going to be around 10 bucks or more cheaper).
No...almost 2 grand for 4-285s hahaha. I just went to a Plaza Tire and they seem a a lot better. I could either get 4 295 Terra grapplers OR 285 Terra grapplers for around $900. My only problem is that I have the gift cards to Dobbs and I'm not sure if they will refund the card. If not, I'm SOL. The guy at the Plaza Tire had an FJ with Terra Grapplers on it and he highly recommended them to me. Also, he said that I shouldn't get the 295's though unless I get a wider rim. So, I think I'll be going with a 285 Terra Grappler for now. Just hopefully I can get a refund on the cards. Thanks for all the help guys!

Also, can you guys recommend any rims that are modestly priced (70-100), I don't think that I will be able to afford any but I really like simple black ones like the American Racing Mojave. http://www.americanracing.com/browse_atx.asp
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Also, can you guys recommend any rims that are modestly priced (70-100), I don't think that I will be able to afford any but I really like simple black ones like the American Racing Mojave. American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels
Thanks again.
You can easily run a 295 on stock wheels. Saying that 285s will be okay but 295s won't be okay? Haha, it's 10mm! Now, 315s might be pushing it on 7.5" wide rims though.

You won't find very many alloy wheels in that price range. Steel wheels? you betcha.

The Wheelers offroad wheels are around 80 a piece. I had them on my rig before, they are tough.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/fjsteelwheels.htm

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can easily run a 295 on stock wheels. Saying that 285s will be okay but 295s won't be okay? Haha, it's 10mm! Now, 315s might be pushing it on 7.5" wide rims though.

You won't find very many alloy wheels in that price range. Steel wheels? you betcha.

The Wheelers offroad wheels are around 80 a piece. I had them on my rig before, they are tough.

Custom Toyota Wheels from Wheeler's Off-Road
Those wheelers are exactly what I want! Thanks for the link. Maybe I can find some extra money to get them with the tires to haha. Thanks for all the help man!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Those wheelers are exactly what I want! Thanks for the link. Maybe I can find some extra money to get them with the tires to haha. Thanks for all the help man!
No prob.

To answer you next question. :)
The ones with the 4" backspacing make your wheel sit further out. You'd want these with 285s IMO.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No prob.

To answer you next question. :)
The ones with the 4" backspacing make your wheel sit further out. You'd want these with 285s IMO.
haha Thanks. Im going to look into these. I'm probably just going to end up keeping the stock rims and then painting them black this summer when I have time. Maybe I'll get a set of spidertrax though to push those wheels out. Thanks again!:cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
$2000 for a set of tires?? Whoa!!! If you have gift cards to Dobbs just walk in there and price match with them. Basically tell them to price match it or you will take your business elsewhere and I guarantee you they won't let $900+ walk out of that door on those gift cards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts