Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12V cig lighter plug doesn't work anymore. Can someone tell me where the fuse is? I hope it's as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that probably has a dedicated fuse under the dash. also, if that is good, check the harness behind the outlet.
Under the dash as in the fuse panel? The cover diagram didn't show a fuse for the 12v cig light plug. I'll pull the dash and see. If there was a fuse, it really should be somewhere that's more accessible.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Might have to pull each fuse one by one to check if it isn't in the manual (though I remember there being a diagram of the fuses in there).

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I think theres a better diagram in the manual, if it's not in the dash panel it will be in the box right next to the battery, the top just pops off. I know the lighter in my wifes car the fuse is by the battery. really confused me for awhile.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
The 12V cig lighter plug doesn't work anymore. Can someone tell me where the fuse is? I hope it's as simple as that.
Your owner's manual has a listing for all the fuses. Even easier is to get a 12v test light, and just check all the fuses - any that only get power to one side are bad - replace with a fuse of the same amp rating...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I check the panel near the steering wheel and the panel near the battery. Neither panel had a fuse (at least I couldn't tell) for the cig lighter. The owner's manual has fuse location (p. 287 for the 07 FJs), but the only documented diagrams are on the covers.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your owner's manual has a listing for all the fuses. Even easier is to get a 12v test light, and just check all the fuses - any that only get power to one side are bad - replace with a fuse of the same amp rating...
Looks like I started the post and you finished your posting before I did. I looked in the manual and it only has fuse locations and how to check and replace fuses. I couldn't find a "list" of fuses. I don't have a 12v test light so I'll just pull each fuse off and check visually. I didn't bother to do that initially because the cover diagram didn't list a fuse for the cigarette lighter.

Have you tried putting the key in and starting it up?

J/K HA!

It's the fuse
Good to know it's just the fuse. Now I gotta find it!

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Looks like I started the post and you finished your posting before I did. I looked in the manual and it only has fuse locations and how to check and replace fuses. I couldn't find a "list" of fuses. I don't have a 12v test light so I'll just pull each fuse off and check visually. I didn't bother to do that initially because the cover diagram didn't list a fuse for the cigarette lighter.

Good to know it's just the fuse. Now I gotta find it!
Better take a closer look at your owner's manual - check page 321-323. All of the fuses for both the under hood and under dash boxes are listed by function. You should check fuse #34, 12v power outlet, located on the middle row, 4th fuse in from the left side...good luck...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better take a closer look at your owner's manual - check page 321-323. All of the fuses for both the under hood and under dash boxes are listed by function. You should check fuse #34, 12v power outlet, located on the middle row, 4th fuse in from the left side...good luck...:cheers:
Thanks Larry. I found the fuse by just pulling them out one at a time. I see these are listed under "Specifications". Argh, the index precluded items listed under specifications, but you are right-it's in the manual. 15A fuse. I'm going to get some extras fuses of different amps when I get this one replaced. So easy to carry, there's no reason not having a few extras.

Thanks everyone. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can even get resettable circuit breaker type fuses in Jegs catalog for oft burnt fuses like lighter sockets.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Tony did you see under the hood block there are 2 spare fuses? it's always good to carry more but jus good to know that they are there.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
You can even get resettable circuit breaker type fuses in Jegs catalog for oft burnt fuses like lighter sockets.
Not a good idea. If you a having a fuse burn out often, you are overloading the circuit. A circuit breaker can malfunction, or delay actuation, frying the circuit involved. There is a reason why certain circuits use fuses and others use circuit breakers (resettable or not). Changing the design of circuit protection is asking for trouble, IMO (and I've witnessed a lot of circuit troubles over the years...)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Thanks Larry. I found the fuse by just pulling them out one at a time. I see these are listed under "Specifications". Argh, the index precluded items listed under specifications, but you are right-it's in the manual. 15A fuse. I'm going to get some extras fuses of different amps when I get this one replaced. So easy to carry, there's no reason not having a few extras.

Thanks everyone. :)
While you are picking up fuses, pick up a 12v circuit test light. This is a very useful item to keep in your vehicle if you go out on the trail - whether you know how to use it (recommended) or whether you have someone familiar with electronics help you out...:rocker:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While you are picking up fuses, pick up a 12v circuit test light. This is a very useful item to keep in your vehicle if you go out on the trail - whether you know how to use it (recommended) or whether you have someone familiar with electronics help you out...:rocker:
Thanks. I will certainly do that. It's one of those things that I've wanted to get, but got distracted. Thanks for the reminder. :)

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Tony, if you need a test light I picked one up from Harbor Frieght for about $5. I'll bring it to work tomorrow and you can have it if you like. I have a couple more at home.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tony, if you need a test light I picked one up from Harbor Frieght for about $5. I'll bring it to work tomorrow and you can have it if you like. I have a couple more at home.
Dave, I'm good right now. I found the blown fuse. The light though, if you do have extras, I won't mind taking one. :) Maybe next time we meet up for lunch?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts