Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been some discussions on this in the past, but I cannot find them.

For the past couple of days, I got a clank sound coming from the front passenger side of the rig when stopping hard, accelerating fast or going over any small bumps. Of course, it won't do it when someone is standing outside trying to listen for where it's coming from, just when you least expect it. :flame:

I have checked every nut and bolt I can think of in regards to the suspension on the front end and they are tight.

Anyone have any ideas or that can point me to one of the threads?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
From inside the rig it is very decieving as to where the sound is really coming from, I thought my Ujounts were going out on the drive shaft, or the front susp. it turns out it's the rear lower control arm forward bushings. easy to check. have someone rock your truck back and forth and look right at the front where the bolt comes through. it will move slightly back and forth with a small click. if you drop it down the rubber will be torn or look like a bunch of black pencil shavings. Just a thought man. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i had an issue very similar. Mine was something very simple that i over looked. The lug nuts were loose and caused a similar sound that took me a few days to figure out. moral of the story, don't overlook even the simplest of things.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Make sure the rear seat backs are locked in. Not kidding. Not exactly a 'clank' sound but a knock, and it was making me nuts until I figured it out.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Make sure the antenna is screwed in all the way. I had that problem about a week ago. I would hit a little bump and got this weird little "something is loose" sound. I happened to be looking at the antenna when it happened again and saw it bouncing around awkwardly. Your description doesn't really sound like what I experienced, but it is something you can easily rule out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

layonnn, I forgot to mention only because I have had that problem on my 79 Bronco years ago, one of the first things I checked were the lugs, but yes that one drove me nuts for awhile before I found it.

I will crawl up under there again and check out the LCAs.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Thanks everyone!

layonnn, I forgot to mention only because I have had that problem on my 79 Bronco years ago, one of the first things I checked were the lugs, but yes that one drove me nuts for awhile before I found it.
Hey Rocky. You shoulda put "nuts" in quotes. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Funny you should mention this, as I started experiencing it on the right front corner as well.

I think my noise is probably coming from my All Pro sway bar links though. They loosened up on Engineer Pass, and I retightened them afterward (after discovering the lock nuts released from the Loctite). But, since coming home from the summit I'm getting the same slight clank when bouncing the bumper corner or turning into or onto a driveway incline.

It's really getting annoying, so I think I'm gonna put the stock links back on for daily driving, and save the AP's for when off-roading. If the noise is still there after R&R'ing the links, then I'll have to assess the noise from there, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm hearing. It's also conceivable that the lug nuts need re-torquing, too (thanks for the usually-overlooked tip, guys! I'll be checking those too)...

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
...when stopping hard, accelerating fast or going over any small bumps...
How about just don't do that anymore?

Do what I do: stop very smoothly and controlled, accelerate slowly, and always, only go over really large obstacles. :lol: :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts