Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a growing frequency of a "clank" or 'clack' sound when starting to drive from park. I think it is from the front end or mid, but not from rear as far as I can tell. Just had a 90,000 service done, and it was occasionally making the sound then. Tech found nothing, torqued the drive shaft bolts etc, but still making sound. Now, though, it does it forward and reverse, and mainly after it has been parked for a little bit. It does it most when the wheel is turned, and then moving. Any ideas or anyone else have this?

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Check all your lug nuts to be sure they are tight. I had a low speed clacking sound once and that's what it turned out to be. No idea what else may cause it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check all your lug nuts to be sure they are tight. I had a low speed clacking sound once and that's what it turned out to be. No idea what else may cause it.
Yeah, was wondering about that as well. Checked with torque wrench and all good and tight. Sound only happens one time, one "clack" from a dead stop after being parked. Then all is fine. Befuddled as well. Thanks AZ

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cv's maybe?
Hoping it's not that...but possible. Is there a way to test for that? Grab the top of the tire and pull at it? Or is that for wheel bearings? Grab the half shaft and twist it?

Thanks FC7

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
...... one time, one "clack" from a dead stop after being parked. Then all is fine. Befuddled as well. Thanks AZ
The above description sounds like some slop in the driveline. Does it happen right after you put it in reverse/drive? Or back and forth between them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
i had same problem in Tahoe back in years ago ...
it was a u joint had a crack
took me a 3 weeks to find a problem .... but it visible try to go forward to hear that or forward and back from compete stop .... as soon hear it check u joint you will see if it crack

let us know if you find that ....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would also check your bolts on your lower control arms. I had a very similar problem where I would hear a clank on my FJ when I either came to a stop or sometimes when I had the wheels turned just right. It was a pain to reproduce for the mechanics at the time so I could get anything repaired while under warranty if need be. So long story short, mine was a bolt on my lower control arm that was loose. Hope that helps ya.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The above description sounds like some slop in the driveline. Does it happen right after you put it in reverse/drive? Or back and forth between them?
When it went in for the 90,000 tune, I mentioned the sound and was told it sounded like 'drive line slop'..and would be checked when they re-torque the drive shaft and u-joint bolts. It had been hit or miss, but now nearly everytime I start out. I'll go out and check on your questions. However, it seems like it does it when going back and forth from park or drive into reverse and then release my foot off the brake. Does it louder or more often if the wheel is turned, and not hard over. Thanks again man.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What year model is your fj? I have an early build 06' (the one's that the diff lock and a-trac buttons will not work together at the same time. For the longest time I kept hearing a "click" noise like you say and it only happens when you first get in the car. I have posted a thread and searched around but it wasnt until I was interested in doing the a-trac rear diff hack that I found the problem. I will have to go back and read through to tell you exactly what it is, but it is a diagnositics test of some sort. It seems that people that did the a-trac/diff hack no longer had the noise upon doing the hack. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Mine does it when i`m backing out of a parking spot. I`m thinking maybe the u joints are starting to wear or it sounds like the brake pads have some play in them

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What year model is your fj? I have an early build 06' (the one's that the diff lock and a-trac buttons will not work together at the same time. For the longest time I kept hearing a "click" noise like you say and it only happens when you first get in the car. I have posted a thread and searched around but it wasnt until I was interested in doing the a-trac rear diff hack that I found the problem. I will have to go back and read through to tell you exactly what it is, but it is a diagnositics test of some sort. It seems that people that did the a-trac/diff hack no longer had the noise upon doing the hack. :cheers:
Thanks for this info. I think mine is a 2007 build, but unsure how to determine that. The atrac and diff I don't think work at the same time, but unsure on this as well. I might need to check on the diff again as well as the 4wd system. Might be a chance that something didn't properly disengage or something from the last time I wheeled. Seems like a good time to do the hack though! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check out this old thread I just recently resurrected about the problem I think you are describing. Seems a lot of people have this noise - myself included:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...se-during-first-mile-driving-help-please.html
Some really interesting reading, as well as a lot of struggling to resolve the problem! Thanks Ratiron. So did you resolve the issue with the tech and the built-in brake caliper play thoughts? Still have the sound? I have exactly the same issue as nearly everyone in that thread; only does from dead stop, after sitting good while, turned wheel, and apply brake for the first time. It 'feels and sounds' as if something in the rotor and pads shifts and grabs, or is grabbed and torques into something metal. I have no clue, but it is going into the dealer this week as my extended warranty is nearly up in a couple thousand miles!! Thanks again for this great find. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would also check your bolts on your lower control arms. I had a very similar problem where I would hear a clank on my FJ when I either came to a stop or sometimes when I had the wheels turned just right. It was a pain to reproduce for the mechanics at the time so I could get anything repaired while under warranty if need be. So long story short, mine was a bolt on my lower control arm that was loose. Hope that helps ya.
X2...I had the same "clank" and it ended up that the LCA bolts needed to be tightened. Then a few months later I replace the rear stock lca's with metal tech ones and the "clank" returned. Well sure enought I didnt tighten the LCA bolts tight enough and once tighten it fixed the "clank."

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for this info. I think mine is a 2007 build, but unsure how to determine that. The atrac and diff I don't think work at the same time, but unsure on this as well. I might need to check on the diff again as well as the 4wd system. Might be a chance that something didn't properly disengage or something from the last time I wheeled. Seems like a good time to do the hack though! Thanks for the info!
Sure thing! :bigthumb: The build date of your car is posted on the inside of the drivers side door (its actually posted on the little swing out rear door). The way to tell if your locker and a-trac work together is put the car is 4lo and turn on the a-trac, it should light up on the dash. With that pushed in go ahead and push the rear diff lock button in as well. If the a-trac and locker stay on at the same time you have a later build. Otherwise (in my case) the a-trac light will turn off on the dash and the rear locker will be lit up on the dash. :wave:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
X3- I had my truck aligned and the noise started when I turned going slow like backing up from a parking spot or pulling into one. Turns out the mechanic did not tighten the control arms all the way.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts