Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This is my first post although I have been lurking in the forum for about 2 years. I have had my 07 Fj cruiser for a year and a half and am ready to make "big" changes.

I know its covered in so many different ways but still no clear answers, I want to ask about lift and tires.

I have a pro comp 3" lift and 305/70r 17 Nitto terra grapplers on stock alloys waiting to be installed. I am doing a BMC today but need to know if the tires will fit without spacers.

I don't want to mount the tires on the wheels just to find out I cant drive until I get spacers. I know aftermarket UCAs will help but funds are limited but will be my next mod. I am hoping I can make it work until then.

Thank you in advance for any information/help

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome MyKEYZ,

I'm surprised you've not generated several responses already on this post as its a question many on this forum have experience with. I don't have firsthand experience with 305's but can share some supporting thoughts.

The 17" wheels are OEM's, meaning the offset is desirable and the rim width is most likely 7-1/2". An advantage of 17" wheels over the 16" is additional clearance at the UCA. In addition stock rim width will help keep the 305's tucked more so than wider wheels. You're getting the BMC out of the way so no worries here. In this case I don't think you'll need spacers.

When lifting 3" the aftermarket UCA's are installed to gain added veritcal travel and the ability to properly align the front end. I'm sure you've already read plenty of threads on UCA's.

Good luck. :smile

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
g'day and Welcome from Down Under.

Running stock rims, and stock UCA, I believe the 305's will rub the UCA without a spacer.
I was running 275/70's on stock rim and stock UCA and only cleared the UCA by about a 1/4 of inch....
the 305 being so much wider will almost definitely hit the UCA.
Cheers
Baz
ps. I now run 1.25inch Spidertrax wheel spacers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Codger and Bazross!

I also thought I'd have a lot of people chime in here but as of now I only have one vote going each way...

I guess my main concern is would it be drivable for the week it would take me to order the spacers? I don't want to get the tires mounted on the wheel for them to say its not drivable.

Wondering to wait to order the spacers until after the lift and tires are installed to see if it rubs or buy them prior as a safety. (an expensive safety that Id like to only buy if I absolutely needed them)

Codger- Yes Ive read so much on the UCAs... I know I want them but to do it all at once is a lot of $$$ so that's next mod for sure, just hope I can make it work with little to no rubbing for the time being.

Thanks again for the help and making me feel welcome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Codger and Bazross!

I also thought I'd have a lot of people chime in here but as of now I only have one vote going each way...:|

I guess my main concern is would it be drivable for the week it would take me to order the spacers? I don't want to get the tires mounted on the wheel for them to say its not drivable.

Wondering to wait to order the spacers until after the lift and tires are installed to see if it rubs or buy them prior as a safety. (an expensive safety that Id like to only buy if I absolutely needed them)

Codger- Yes Ive read so much on the UCAs... I know I want them but to do it all at once is a lot of $$$ so that's next mod for sure, just hope I can make it work with little to no rubbing for the time being.

Thanks again for the help and making me feel welcome.:smile

·
Desert Moderator
7,299 Posts
I'd hold off on the tires until you get the spacers.
Hold off on the UCA.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I say talk to the tire shop and see if they are willing to mount one and test fit it and see if the 305 width works. If not, maybe they can just throw the 305 on the spare mount and then move the spare to the front that was test fitted. And, you then know you need spacers and can have at it and order them. Biggest downside I see is the tire shop has to hold on to your tires until you can spacers ordered, received and installed. And, they may have to waste the effort of mounting one 305 to see if it fits.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I say talk to the tire shop and see if they are willing to mount one and test fit it and see if the 305 width works. If not, maybe they can just throw the 305 on the spare mount and then move the spare to the front that was test fitted. And, you then know you need spacers and can have at it and order them. Biggest downside I see is the tire shop has to hold on to your tires until you can spacers ordered, received and installed. And, they may have to waste the effort of mounting one 305 to see if it fits.
Good suggestion. Its a safe approach to only mount the spare to physically check for fit.

·
Desert Moderator
7,299 Posts
Pretty sure the spare won't fit with the 305s. Mine barely fits with 285/70R17

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Pretty sure the spare won't fit with the 305s. Mine barely fits with 285/70R17
I assume you mean that the spare might not fit on the spare tire mount on the rear door with that size tire. Could be. I dont have specific knowledge about that but I assume this is something the original poster had considered in the decision making for what size tires to move to. OP may just be keeping the spare with original tire size and running 305s on the 4 other wheels. Not my recommended approach, but wouldnt be the first person to have done that.

In that case, the tire shop would be out the effort of mounting/dismounting the test fit tire if spacers are needed. All can be rectified by money....as long as you pay them for the 'extra effort, I dont think they will care.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I think that's a great idea as for using the spare to test fit... SilvFx, you are right in assuming I am running the stock spare for the time being. I know its not a great option and definitely not permanent, but my girlfriend bought me the tires so I wont complain.

Ofelia (name of my FJ) is heading to the shop today to install the lift, after that's done, I will hit the tire shop and find out if the 305s fit. Ill keep my fingers crossed and let you guys know the outcome asap.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think that's a great idea as for using the spare to test fit... SilvFx, you are right in assuming I am running the stock spare for the time being. I know its not a great option and definitely not permanent, but my girlfriend bought me the tires so I wont complain.

Ofelia (name of my FJ) is heading to the shop today to install the lift, after that's done, I will hit the tire shop and find out if the 305s fit. Ill keep my fingers crossed and let you guys know the outcome asap.
awesome that your GF bought you the tires (I need a GF that will do that. not sure what the wife will say...but whatever).

My advice, reach into your own pocket and buy the matching spare and do 5 tire rotation (not sure if that means you need to purchase a matching wheel for the spare as well or if you are running the OEM wheels).

If you have an automatic, you can get by with a smaller spare, but if you get a flat on the rear axle, you will need to jack up whatever side and be able to move the smaller spare to the front axle (non-drive), and the matching size tire to the rear axle (drive axle). And you must not be in 4WD Good luck doing that with the OEM bottle jack/scissor jack stuck on the side of the highway or on uneven terrain or in terrain where you cant get by with 2WD. If you have a manual (full time 4 wheel drive), you do not want to use a smaller diameter spare tire anywhere or you will shortly ruin the differential due to slippage while it trying to match up the wheel speed. That means leaving your FJ wherever to you got the flat. Unbolting the flat tire/wheel and getting someone to take you to the tire shop for repair/replacement and then taking you back to your FJ to put it back on. All the while, hoping that it is still there when you return and hasnt been stolen, towed or ran into.

I dont mean to overplay the consequences, just want you to think through the logistics if you happen to get a flat tire. My experience in life is a sort of a corollary Murphy's law in that if you have the right size spare, you will likely never get a flat and never need it, but the time that you "chance it", you can all but guarantee that you will need to use the missing or undersize spare. Your own life experiences may vary.

·
Registered
696 Posts
awesome that your GF bought you the tires (I need a GF that will do that. not sure what the wife will say...but whatever).

My advice, reach into your own pocket and buy the matching spare and do 5 tire rotation (not sure if that means you need to purchase a matching wheel for the spare as well or if you are running the OEM wheels).

If you have an automatic, you can get by with a smaller spare, but if you get a flat on the rear axle, you will need to jack up whatever side and be able to move the smaller spare to the front axle (non-drive), and the matching size tire to the rear axle (drive axle). And you must not be in 4WD Good luck doing that with the OEM bottle jack/scissor jack stuck on the side of the highway or on uneven terrain or in terrain where you cant get by with 2WD. If you have a manual (full time 4 wheel drive), you do not want to use a smaller diameter spare tire anywhere or you will shortly ruin the differential due to slippage while it trying to match up the wheel speed. That means leaving your FJ wherever to you got the flat. Unbolting the flat tire/wheel and getting someone to take you to the tire shop for repair/replacement and then taking you back to your FJ to put it back on. All the while, hoping that it is still there when you return and hasnt been stolen, towed or ran into.

I dont mean to overplay the consequences, just want you to think through the logistics if you happen to get a flat tire. My experience in life is a sort of a corollary Murphy's law in that if you have the right size spare, you will likely never get a flat and never need it, but the time that you "chance it", you can all but guarantee that you will need to use the missing or undersize spare. Your own life experiences may vary.
Agreed. What's disappointed me is the fact that my dealer never suggested including the spare in the rotation program while performing the routine services. Now I've got 40k miles on a set of 4 OEM tires and 1 new one. Not much market for a single new tire.

Another thought on the spare if funds really are tight - rather than springing for a new 305 tire, it may be possible to find a used one in your area that's been pulled off to be replaced. As long as it's not damaged and holds air, it doesn't even need to be the same make, only the same size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahaha Yes I am blessed to have such a woman in my life but I also live by Murphy's law so you're right Silvfx, I have to get that full size spare which than makes me have to do something with the mount or bumper but that's ok. I like Codgers idea, I'll probably just pick up a used one for the time being. Mods lead to more mods. But hopefully that's how I'll end up with my fj exactly how I want it. Thanks again guys.
PS. The shop wanted way too much to install my lift so hopefully tomorrow my buddy and I will be wrenching it on. I'll keep you all posted and let you know what is needed for the fit

Reactions: Codger

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you're going to be doing the lift anyways and have your front suspension disassembled, I'd recommend getting the upper control arms and installing them at the same time. This will also help keep you within proper alignment specs. I did a 3" lift and put on SPC UCAs at the same time. I'm running a 285/70/17 with 1.25" wheel spacers and had to do the BMC for clearance. I'm in Albuquerque, too, so if you'd like to see my setup and check out my aftermarket UCAs, I'd be happy to meet up sometime. I got my UCAs on Amazon for about $445 here.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you're going to be doing the lift anyways and have your front suspension disassembled, I'd recommend getting the upper control arms and installing them at the same time. This will also help keep you within proper alignment specs. I did a 3" lift and put on SPC UCAs at the same time. I'm running a 285/70/17 with 1.25" wheel spacers and had to do the BMC for clearance. I'm in Albuquerque, too, so if you'd like to see my setup and check out my aftermarket UCAs, I'd be happy to meet up sometime. I got my UCAs on Amazon for about $445 here.
MyKEYZ, Here's an offer you shouldn't turn down. Networking to gain knowledge, experience, and friendship is priceless.

We're expecting to see pics soon of your modified FJC with the new tires!

intellectualfish, I'm curious, did you need to add the spacers because something was rubbing, or only for looks? BTW reaching out to help others never goes without notice.
:rocker:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm always happy to help folks out! I've even been known to help my friends work on their jeeps, haha :wink

I went with the spacers to help keep my track closer to stock proportions when I lifted for some added stability. Wheel spacers were substantially cheaper than getting aftermarket rims to space my tires out. I also liked that they kept my rims hub-centric. I do think it looks better on my particular FJ because the previous owner had added bushwhacker fenders and the stock tires with stock spacing looked a bit swallowed-up underneath. :boohoo:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Intellectualfish! I'd love to get together sometime for sure, just let me know when you are available.

I know id like to get aftermarket UCAs but the funds aren't there right now but it is next on the list. I do think I will have to get spacers though and my body mount chop is already done.

Codger, I promise I'll post pics as soon as its done. Unfortunately none of the shops around town wanted to install a lift unless I bought it from them :|. I found one in Rio Rancho that would do it but they wanted $600 :surprise. Then I was supposed to install it yesterday but... my buddy just bought a brand new 2016 4Runner so we hit the dirt instead of the garage :grin.

Now with work and Christmas, Saturday the 26th is the day I have set aside for the install. fingers crossed.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all your help and input.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any time! I have a weird work schedule, so my days off vary. Probably some time after Christmas would work best. Send me a PM when you're interested.

Do you have your lift already? I ended up getting some front coilovers, so you could just have my rough country front spacers and stock coilovers if you want them. You'd just need to buy rear coils and shocks. Let me know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts