Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently gave the FJ a good scrubbing once I was sure the winter weather had passed. While shinny and purdy from afar, I saw a good amount of contaminants in the paint, especially the lower door panels. I've never used a clay bar before but am going to give it a try.

I have one question though. Once the clay bar pulls the nasty stuff off the paint, where does it go from there? It must just stay in the clay, but won't that stuff scratch the paint as you continue to use the clay? How many times can you reuse the clay before it needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just "clay bared" my silver 2007 with the "Mother's" kit. Unbeliveable, slick ,shinny, and really holds the wax now. It is easy too, nothing like you think it would be. Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You need to periodically remodel the clay as you are claying the car. If the clay looks a little dirty then you need to remodel/reshape it. This will help prevent the contaniments from scratching the car. Make sure you use the clay bar very lightly and don't really apply much pressure. Just the the clay do the work and glide it over the paint. Also, make sure to wet the paint during the process. The clay should glide over the wet paint. You will then want to wax your car after claying to protect the finish. Check out youtube.com, they have some great videos on how to do this process. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You need to periodically remodel the clay as you are claying the car. If the clay looks a little dirty then you need to remodel/reshape it. This will help prevent the contaniments from scratching the car. Make sure you use the clay bar very lightly and don't really apply much pressure. Just the the clay do the work and glide it over the paint. Also, make sure to wet the paint during the process. The clay should glide over the wet paint. You will then want to wax your car after claying to protect the finish. Check out youtube.com, they have some great videos on how to do this process. Hope this helps!
^^^exactly. Follow with a good wax. Clay bars really do a good job. I would only add to wet the clay bar down with lubricant and work it some with your hands before using.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's one of the best ways to get all the accumulated junk off your paint. One bar is more than enough for an FJ, maybe even twice. Like was mentioned, keep it lubed well with the spray, and work in small areas.

It's very rewarding and makes for a nice project.

You need to wax once you're done, and if you don't have a good polisher, I just noticed a nice on on sale at my local Sears for 79.99 (don't bother with those cheaper ones that come in a 5 gallon bucket).

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I use the 3M claybar and make my own solution for keeping the surface wet. Whatever you do, do not drop the claybar, it picks up everything. The 3M claybar is 3 times as big as most claybar kits sold at auto stores. A clay bar will last for several jobs, I usally use it 6 times and replace. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As Steve said, do not drop the bar, if you do throw it away. You should only have to use half the bar, knead the clay and form it into a patty, spray the clay bar lube (quick detailer)
on the paint and move the clay back and forth quickly. At first you will feel it grabbing then it will get slick (your done with that section). If you look at the clay you will see it turning a brownish yellow, re-knead the clay until it looks clean again, once you can no longer get it to look clean that piece of clay is done.

Bret
Tropicalreflectionsdetailing.com

·
Registered
368 Posts
To find out just how well you've done, take a sandwich baggie/Ziploc bag and put your hand in it. Run your fingers over the paint surface with the plastic between your fingers and the paint. Like a Ziploc mitten. You'll feel the grit and grime before the claying. It's also good to use to check those places you question after the fact.

I heard the clay bar is good for the windows/glass too. Gets rid of the hard water spots and any little surface gunk and previous car wash waxes. True?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Thanks for posting the question and big thanks for those answering. I had wondered about using a clay bar. I think I'm gonna pick one up today.... going to toyota fest in long beach this weekend and really needed to do this beforehand!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I heard the clay bar is good for the windows/glass too. Gets rid of the hard water spots and any little surface gunk and previous car wash waxes. True?
Yup works well on glass too.
Just FYI I was in Harbor freight the other day and they had Meguiers Clay bar kits for $15.00, this is a great deal for the clay and quick detailer.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Thanks for posting the question and big thanks for those answering. I had wondered about using a clay bar. I think I'm gonna pick one up today.... going to toyota fest in long beach this weekend and really needed to do this beforehand!
Claybars are wonderful, just seal your ride with wax afterwards.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Clay bars are great for glass too, but sometimes I take a razor blade to the outside glass, pressing lightly with lubricant.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You have to use a lubricant when using the clay bar. I use speed shine from Griots Garage. That's also where I get the clay and the sealant that I use after the clay.
You could also use Mcguires qiuck detailer spray.

·
Registered
338 Posts
+1. I had always thought this was a chore until you posted this question and the answers came in (some of those videos are great, BTW).

Thnx, again:rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I think i'm going to get a clay Bar. Wax suggestions? spray, paste, liquid?
Assuming you do a good job with the clay.. you can skip the "cleaner wax" and go straight to a carnuba based wax. Stay away from the "spray" waxes (the kind you spray on when the car is wet and "wax as you dry") they are a complete joke. I recommend Meguiars brand. They have been around a LONG time and make a great line. I like their NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 (hydrophobic polymers - "the new thing in wax") and GOLD CLASS™ LIQUID WAX (great deep rich finish). Both of these are liquid waxes. As far as liquid or paste it's a bit like engine oil. I find that Liquid wax keeps a little bit better. Also, remember to store your wax in a cool location (depending on where you live... not the garage). Zymol also makes great wax. They even have a Vintage glaze that contains 61% Brazilain No 1 White Carnuba ($2,184.00 with free refills, if you are super rich). I have used a lot of their products and they are GREAT... but the waxes do not last as long on the paint. Check out Zymol Seal for soft rubber and trim conditioning. Aslo their Tyre is great for tires. It conditions and leaves a nice finish without being greasy or fling prone. I could go on for hours so if you have any maintenance questions or products recommendations let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clay bars are great! As already stated here I can confirm that they are fantastic on glass. I even showed my wife how to use them on the windows of our house. I'm surprised birds havent smashed into the house windows yet. Used it on my Gravely....there are never ending possibilities!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just finished up my detailing job. Washed, clayed then waxed. Finished up with windex to clean spray polish drips and residue from windows and black plastic. Now I just need somewhere to go tonight to show her off.

This was my first time using clay so as a tip for other first timers... Most of the black spots on the sides that I was trying to remove did not come off during the normal application. I had to focus on those spots pretty aggressively for a while with the clay but they eventually were removed. Beyond that I think my paint was in really good shape because it already felt smooth before they clay and I didn't get a lot of foreign material in the clay. I didn't even bother claying the roof.

I bought the Mother's kit at O'Reillys for $19 b/c it came with an additional free bottle of spray detailer. It's a good thing too b/c even though I only used half of one of the clay bars, I used 75% of the bottle of detailer.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
x2 on the Mequiars. You use quick detailer as a lubricant and it works great. Just make sure you do a good coat of wax after! I like the stuff in the purple bottles from Meguiars as well...can't remember the name and I need to buy some!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just finished with a wash, claybar and wax of the FJ yesterday. I had 2500 miles of bugs gathered on a trip from Germany, through Southern France, up to Normandy, Luxembourg and back to South Germany. Even after washing all the forward facing panels 5 times the claybar picked up a bunch of contaminants. Well worth it. I prefer zymol for wax usually, but went with a pure carnuba and she has a glass smooth finish now. The rain-x bottle was sliding off the hood as I took care of the windshield!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts