Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an offroading trip what would you guys recommend cleaning or servicing? Any new fluids, oil, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Depends on how "offroad" you take it. With me, there is always mud involved, whether I want to play in it or not. Because of that I always take a garden hose to the entire undercarriage and get all the mud off (or as much as I can). Obviously I look around check out everything, but unless something is squeaking or acting weird/sounding weird I don't replace or change anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
It does depend. If you went through a lot of water/mud with no breather relocation youll need to check your diff/transfer case fluid for water.

Just power wash it asap...the longer you wait the harder it is to clean off lol

I just found something cool... mud / dirt splashes ect really tend to stain everything, even after it is all washed pretty decently...
Lucas Interior Detailing shine really brings everything back and looks great. Dont actually use it inside as it is very shiny, but on the frame it is excellent...even works as tire shine / helps to bring the tires back to black from brown lol

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My husband has tried to get me to spray Pam cooking spray on the wheels wells beforehand. He says it helps keep any mud from sticking and easier to wash off. Don't know if that sounds like a good idea?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Go play in the sand afterward. Sand blasts everything clean again. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
A lot of folks recommend it. Never tried it personally, but its essentially a grease/oil type product which generally works quite well and preventing stuff from sticking
It might work because it is soluble in soapy water. Sounds crazy, but stranger things are out there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Re: Cleaning after off roading

My husband has tried to get me to spray Pam cooking spray on the wheels wells beforehand. He says it helps keep any mud from sticking and easier to wash off. Don't know if that sounds like a good idea?
Seen the Pam thing work during mud fun

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually use Adam's Products. They have very nice undercarriage spray/wash. All of their products are top notch IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I usually just drive mine through a car wash with the undercarriage sprayer. I've been through some deep water with no breather relocation and haven't noticed water in my fluids. YMMV...

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Pam cooking spray works great for bugs never tried it for mud.

Place a sprinkler under the FJ overnight it will do a good job of cleaning and rinsing the undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
If it's thick mud (is there really any other kind though?), you'll want to get that out from under your FJ as soon as you can. There are a lot of little nooks under there where it will lodge.

A useful tip someone gave to me is to use a yard sprinkler. Set it up under your truck and turn it on. Let it keep spraying back and forth under the truck. It will loosen up most everything under there. I do it at night. Next morning, get under there with your hose to knock all the loosened mud out. Don't forget your engine compartment.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've pushed mud with my skid plates once or twice. After I get home from the car wash I deburr my rock rails and touch up the flat black as needed, I also grease up the drive train to push any moisture out. I also stick the garden hose in the frame in several locations and give it a good rinse. I also rinse the lower half of the radiators, they get pretty dirty. The reason I even mess with the factory rock rails is because I've cut myself on a burr while working under the FJ.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
The best way to clean the underside is a hand held power washer wand hitting it from every angle. None of the automatic washers will do the job well enough. I place the power washer up above my skids as well to
Flush those out. I'm not sure the sprinkler idea hits it hard enough, or gets all the right angles. The power washer is much more powerful. I have salt to deal with here so I go to all lengths to clean the underside from all angles.. :cheers:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I know most of you know this, but the primary reason to wash out and off the mud is because it contains moisture(wata). The thicker the mud build up, potentially the more moisture it contains...and you dont want that sitting up in/against and under the FJ. Espescially goes for shoreline dwellers like me...salty air/dirt/sand...can be real enemies to the FJ's undercarriage(obviously)...

If you live in an area where they salt the roads, this should be a routine for you -off-roading or no...

I get the hose out and put on clothes that can get wet and shoot out everything at every angle(mindful of electrical areas). Then I "rinse and repeat" 30 min later...because much dried mud that did not come out on the first wash has softened, and then gets blown out on the second pass. I have seen it!

Mike

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Yeah dont forget to stick that garden hose up behind the fender flare plastics. Youll get dirt out of there for a while!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts