Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I went muddin about a week ago and immediately took it to the spray and wash. GOt all the mud off. Opened my hood today and realized I hadnt thought about the bay.
Best way to clean this complete disaster up?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I cleaned mine a couple of days ago at the car wash. I just avoided the 'engine degreaser' stuff and just used the normal soap then rinse. No problems for me. The only thing that I had to do, which I don't think you need to do, was use a plastic grocery bag to cover my cold air intake filter because it was exposed.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I used Simple Green and srayed it over most everything...let it set for five minutes and used pressure washer in and around the bay area... be careful with all the electrical connectors...You don't want to force water into sensitive areas...

After letting things dry real good...I use a poly protectant for the hoses and all the plastic parts...If not they will oxidize and fade...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Simple Green and srayed it over most everything...let it set for five minutes and used pressure washer in and around the bay area... be careful with all the electrical connectors...You don't want to force water into sensitive areas...

After letting things dry real good...I use a poly protectant for the hoses and all the plastic parts...If not they will oxidize and fade...
See that's what I was wondering. Sensitive areas.
I want to use the pressure washer at the pay-n-spray. No?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
See that's what I was wondering. Sensitive areas.
I want to use the pressure washer at the pay-n-spray. No?

Yeah...there is no problem using the pressure wand at any local car wash...

Be careful about the electronic sensitive boxes and connectors ...mostly on the right side. The FJ has well sealed boxes to protect the sensitive electronics...But if you sit there and blast the high pressure stream into the crevices of these areas...You will Fug Shiaat stuff up...Ask Me...I was stranded at the local car wash for several hours...Truck was Dead...until I dried things out :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...there is no problem using the pressure wand at any local car wash...

Be careful about the electronic sensitive boxes and connectors ...mostly on the right side. The FJ has well sealed boxes to protect the sensitive electronics...But if you sit there and blast the high pressure stream into the crevices of these areas...You will Fug Shiaat stuff up...Ask Me...I was stranded at the local car wash for several hours...Truck was Dead...until I dried things out :lol:
Hahaha. Exactly! So my plan is to lightly soak the bay with soapy water. Let that sit and break up the mud, the lightly rinse it all off. Repeat if needed.

FJ6- How do you like your fabtec lift? Do you have 9" of lift with the OME? Do you have more pics?
Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I just used my power washer (1500 psi.) connected to my house filtered water and avoiding a direct hit on the alternator and fuse box/circuit breakers. I don't use any degreaser/cleaning solvent at all.

Then I used my leaf blower to dry and removed excess/trapped water.
I have to wait for a couple of hours before starting the engine.

Here is a picture of my 07 FJ engine bay;

·
Registered
614 Posts
Man NDA431FJ, Your engine bay looks like brand spanking new!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems using the pressure washer. I've done it a few times but when I can, I like to just do it at home with the FJ cold and using a low pressure stream from the garden hose. I don't know why but I'm always nervous about spraying cold water on hot metal parts and the low pressure water is less likely to work its way into the weather proof electrical connections.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I won't argue with anyone that insists on using high pressure washers in the engine bay . . . but I won't do it. Simple logic says that when you spray at high pressure into the many small pockets or "dead end spaces" in the engine bay, the water may go places you don't want it to go. I say garden hose all the way with mild soap rather than degreaser. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
If you use a Wash-N-Go or a Pay-N-Spray self wash, make sure they have hot water. Hot water makes cleaning so much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Gunk has several good cleaners... I use either engine bright or the stronger Purple cleaner/degreaser or the Black magic 2 in 1. and use my powerwasher... Does a great job at keeping it looking new! Here is their site.
Degreasers and Cleaners
Black Magic Car Care Products - Black Magic 2-in-1 Engine Shine
If your looking to really make your rig shine and look show ready after a weekend of wheeling..
Power wash the entire rig, including the engine bay, suspension, frame and anywhere you can get to with the washer..... After it dries,, Spray not only the tires with Mequires TIre shin(Meguiar's Direct Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Coating), but entire wheel wells, frame rails, suspension, or entire driveline! You can use it on engine bay too! (Dont sray pullies or belts) dont worry wiping any off... just le it sit and dry for a hour or 2....You can spray it on all black trim.. It truely will make your rig look new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just used my power washer (1500 psi.) connected to my house filtered water and avoiding a direct hit on the alternator and fuse box/circuit breakers. I don't use any degreaser/cleaning solvent at all.

Then I used my leaf blower to dry and removed excess/trapped water.
I have to wait for a couple of hours before starting the engine.

Here is a picture of my 07 FJ engine bay;

WOW, that's a work of art friend!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gunk has several good cleaners... I use either engine bright or the stronger Purple cleaner/degreaser or the Black magic 2 in 1. and use my powerwasher... Does a great job at keeping it looking new! Here is their site.
Degreasers and Cleaners
Black Magic Car Care Products - Black Magic 2-in-1 Engine Shine
If your looking to really make your rig shine and look show ready after a weekend of wheeling..
Power wash the entire rig, including the engine bay, suspension, frame and anywhere you can get to with the washer..... After it dries,, Spray not only the tires with Mequires TIre shin(Meguiar's Direct Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Coating), but entire wheel wells, frame rails, suspension, or entire driveline! You can use it on engine bay too! (Dont sray pullies or belts) dont worry wiping any off... just le it sit and dry for a hour or 2....You can spray it on all black trim.. It truely will make your rig look new.
This is great info. Saving this! Thanks MMechanix!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Here's a Before(2 days in the Mud)

And AFter several hours with a power washer and 5 cans of tire shine and 2 bottles of Purple cleaner degreaser from Gunk.

Sorry I dont have a before pic of the engine..... Didnt think to take one..:mecry:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a Before(2 days in the Mud)

And AFter several hours with a power washer and 5 cans of tire shine and 2 bottles of Purple cleaner degreaser from Gunk.

Sorry I dont have a before pic of the engine..... Didnt think to take one..:mecry:
Hell Yeah! Those are great pics!
What size rims/tires/lift do you have MMech?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm resurrecting this old thread for two reasons:

(1) IMO - I've always used the car wash pressure washer on the engine bay of every car I've ever owned, 20 years now. Never a single problem.

(2) HELP! What about mud spots on the paint itself, on the underside of the hood, inner fender wells, etc? That's my problem, all these little mud spots (a lot like water spots that are mud colored). I have sprayed and sprayed and scrubbed those areas with the wash mitt I use on the rest of the car and I CAN'T get the mud spots off.

Has anyone had this problem? My off-roading spots are not right next door to a car wash, so it's usually a 2 hour drive home after I get it dirty and I guess the dirt gets baked on there. It also appears these areas don't have a good wax protectant like the rest of the FJ...not even sure if there is clear coat under there?

Let me know if you guys have found any way to get these spots off and/or keep them from getting on there.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey, bump for some advice on this!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts