Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to clean engine on my 08 FJ. Got to replace power steering pump and engine compartment is a mess. Read somewhere that pressure wash is not a good idea?????

·
Registered
361 Posts
Want to clean engine on my 08 FJ. Got to replace power steering pump and engine compartment is a mess. Read somewhere that pressure wash is not a good idea?????
Spray your engine bay with Shout laundry detergent, let soak a couple of minutes then rinse away with "gentle Shower" setting on your spray hose. You are correct on the No pressure wash, just a gentle rinse clean should get er done.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not a big deal, just don't go too hog. I like to use simple green to pre-soak it, brush anything with tough dirt or grease, and rinse it off.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
if there is lumpy/crusty looking corrosion on the cast aluminum block and heads, it can be wire brushed off with a brass brush (never use a steel brush on aluminum) to smooth it out (takes lots of elbow grease, but worth it for appearance sake)

Of course, the surface of the aluminum will microscopically re-corrode immediately (its what ali does), so its natural resistance won't be changed at all by the brushing.

Mine was terrible looking when I bought it, someone must have used some really aggressive cleaner on it in the past, and its 1st 8 years in Long Island (salty winters) had built up quite a layer of crust. After brass brush and green 3M scrubby pad scrubbing, it looks less like it came from the Titanic now.

x2 what they said about using an oil dissolving pre-soak product, like Simple Green, and then a rinse with soap and hot water (a coin op car wash is very handy for this kind of a job).

I've never had a problem with using the high pressure spray at a coin op wash, but Bad Wolf is right: it is a good idea to cover electrical parts first, and if a low pressure will do the job there's less risk of injecting it where it doesn't belong.

Norm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts