Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit perplexed by a squeaking/chirping noise that's coming from the vents when I run the heat and air. I took out the motor and fan to check for debris. When I remove the 3 screws, drop the fan and then run it, I'm not hearing the squeak. The air cabin filter is brand new. It makes me wonder if it's something in the fresh air return area? Anyone ever taken the time to clean that out? I can't find a video on how to access it. I'm assuming it's behind the windshield cowl?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
My first thought is that the motor was a smidge loose. When you replaced it and ran it again, did it squeak?

It doesn't make any noise if the blower is off? Even on a mildly rough road? So it's not the road vibration making the noise...

Those are my first two thoughts. If road vibrations don't induce a squeak, then it's not any of the connections between pipes or baffles. If it only squeaks when the blower motor is attached but goes away when you drop it, that sounds like it's the motor/mounting plate connection that's making noise. Maybe the motor itself has gotten some debris in it and when it's mounted, that puts some stress on it that makes it make noise. Maybe the connection point has gotten weak and doesn't make a snug connection so it allows movement, ie squeak.

Although, I could be wrong. ;)

Reactions: Tyotor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought is that the motor was a smidge loose. When you replaced it and ran it again, did it squeak?

It doesn't make any noise if the blower is off? Even on a mildly rough road? So it's not the road vibration making the noise...

Those are my first two thoughts. If road vibrations don't induce a squeak, then it's not any of the connections between pipes or baffles. If it only squeaks when the blower motor is attached but goes away when you drop it, that sounds like it's the motor/mounting plate connection that's making noise. Maybe the motor itself has gotten some debris in it and when it's mounted, that puts some stress on it that makes it make noise. Maybe the connection point has gotten weak and doesn't make a snug connection so it allows movement, ie squeak.

Although, I could be wrong. ;)
Good thoughts! I'll check the snugness of it. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to noises. LOL ?

Reactions: rotorhed1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it make noise in all fan speed positions or just low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It makes noise in all fan speeds. The higher, the noisier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It makes noise in all fan speeds. The higher, the noisier.
Might still be the blower motor. When it's in open air outside the heater box there is less load on it so it may not squeak until it is back in the box under load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might still be the blower motor. When it's in open air outside the heater box there is less load on it so it may not squeak until it is back in the box under load.
Is there anything you can do to stop a chirping blower motor?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there anything you can do to stop a chirping blower motor?
Yes I just shut mine up by removing the fan ass. then a screw on the fan housing and shot air into the blower motor housing to get the dust out then used some silicone spray to lube the shaft ,I put it back together and the noise was still there but more faint then it went away totally ,A new fan motor can be had for 50 bucks aftermarket if you want to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I'd recommend to use a dedicated motor shaft oil, like "Zoom Spout Turbine Oil", sold in every hardware store I've ever been in:

When using silicone, the risk is that depending on the bearings material can actually make it sticky (BTDT).

Norm

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I had the bearing in the blower motor go bad and squeal. Toyota replaced it under warranty and its been fine ever since :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Blower motors are one of the cheap things to replace on an FJC - just do it. You will eliminate replacing it for another 200K miles and eliminate it as a possible source. THEN you can get diving into other things if it isn't a moving part making the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts