Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, hope all is well. I picked up my lovely 2007 FJ last month and have taken it to the trails with some light off-roading. Now I am building up the courage to do my first project which is fix some chips and re do clear coat on the hood.

Here is the clear coat area that I am going to re coat:

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Blue

Clear Coat:
So I feel confident in the instructions on repairing clear coat based on this video (
). The gentleman in the video gives a comprehensive walkthrough on how to remove and add clear coat in a section of a panel.

Where I am lacking in confidence is on Paint Touch Up repair:

Blue Hood Water Azure Automotive lighting

So I have two chips that I am going to try to repair. I am having difficulty finding paint chip repair video tutorials or documentations on how to do this. The closest thing I found that I would be comfortable doing is using the “Dupli-Color” system based on this video:

Other alternative for paint.
There is also a Scratch Fix All-in-1 pen that could potentially do this fix. hmmm.
  1. Does anyone have any resources on paint chip repair?
  2. is the Dupli-Color system a good way to go to just knock it all out from removing clear coat, adding primer, overlaying paint, and then clear coat?

Any wisdom or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

·
30,592 Posts
Save yourself the trouble and just replace it. But if you feel the need to do it, use www.automotivetouchup.com

Chips have to be sanded out, smoothed, blended...

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMHO:

Be careful. These so called touch-up or easy repair products are anything but easy to use and even harder to make them look right even after spending lots of time to do so.

Do yourself a favor and take it to a body shop for proper repair of the base coat and clear coat.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Save yourself the trouble and just replace it. But if you feel the need to do it, use www.automotivetouchup.com

Chips have to be sanded out, smoothed, blended...

What Hannibal said. Much easier to replace it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally agree replacing it could be the easiest. I am having fun with this car. Giving it the old college try will be an affordable option. If I totally botch it, then I can get get it done professionally. Thank you for the feedback everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.