Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Airing back up.

Thanks to Cowboy4x4 for leading the run, Jim for tail gunning and everyone for making this trip a blast to be on. I look forward to seeing everyone on the trail again. Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
It was great to meet you, Mike and all of the others out there! I love the freeway shots of the caravan!

This turn was quite a challenge:

I know it had me nervous!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had a great time with everyone on the cleghorn run, we made it without any problems... makes for a fun run, the icecream was an added bonus, thank you. I hope everyone else had a good time as well...Thomas

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had a great time with everyone on the cleghorn run, we made it without any problems... makes for a fun run, the icecream was an added bonus, thank you. I hope everyone else had a good time as well...Thomas
and to think i had to convince you to lead this trail team.....:ninja:

·
Registered
695 Posts
and to think i had to convince you to lead this trail team.....:ninja:
We'll have to take him back out there to run Lytle Creek! I have not been there since forever...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It was great to meet you, Mike and all of the others out there! I love the freeway shots of the caravan!

I know what you mean about that turn! This is one of my favorite pictures from the caravan.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Oh man, that turn is evil. That whole section is a blast. It makes me nervous EVERY TIME. Sometimes the branches hang low and you're scraping the roof as you're tilted over. Glad you felt at home with the FJ guys Jim. That is one thing with this group that consistently impresses me. The group as a whole is very friendly and accepting. So we had a Chevy, Jeep, and a few 4 Runners. Everyone had fun. Did you guys run into that big Jeep group of 20 or so? I bet they were surprised to see us too! :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Oh man, that turn is evil. That whole section is a blast. It makes me nervous EVERY TIME. Sometimes the branches hang low and you're scraping the roof as you're tilted over. Glad you felt at home with the FJ guys Jim. That is one thing with this group that consistently impresses me. The group as a whole is very friendly and accepting. So we had a Chevy, Jeep, and a few 4 Runners. Everyone had fun. Did you guys run into that big Jeep group of 20 or so? I bet they were surprised to see us too! :D
Those Jeep guys were egging us on to go up that option they were coming down from. I'm sure if we dig hard enough, we'll see a post or 2 about all these pansy FJs not willing to tackle it.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Those Jeep guys were egging us on to go up that option they were coming down from. I'm sure if we dig hard enough, we'll see a post or 2 about all these pansy FJs not willing to tackle it.:rocker:
Which section are you talking about? This one?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Which section are you talking about? This one?

Not sure, did Sharon end up going that way by himself? Chris' group didn't go up it, and Thomas wasn't sure if everyone from our group wanted to go up it, so we all took the main trail. I had to take off once we were on our way...separated from the group at that point, and hauled all the way to the 138. Wish I had another hour or so.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Chris and Sharon both tried that hill. You can't do it without front lockers. I'm not sure if they saw what's pass that first obstacle. There's another just at the top that will be difficult to get over. I wouldn't want to have to back down that first obstacle...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chris and Sharon both tried that hill. You can't do it without front lockers.
Oh its doable without a front locker. Depends on how much you want to bounce and bang around! I wouldn't suggest it though, breaking stuff sucks! It really isn't all that vertical, but one really big bad bounce could have you going end-over-end if you hit a tree....That and the damage to the trail wouldn't be good to hit it at 15-20mph.

The rig drove much better on the road than I expected. Though I was very nervious and probably seemed a bit 'edgy' as I was on the lookout for CHP.

I'm glad everyone got through the tight section without issue. I have some hints for eveyone though. I noticed numerous (didn't count) people driving the section with their windows up. If there's someone spotting you, roll them down so you can hear what they are saying. Follow their directions, not your feel, they can see things you can't.

I found more problems once I got home and unloaded the rig. T-case housing is cracked, ARB seal(s) blown, rear springs are shot (I knew this before the trail ride). The rig will be down untill July. I'm making it a goal to get to the Rubicon with a couple buddies (they were on Sledge with us.)

Thanks for allowing a ugly beat up rig like mine out on the trail with your purdy rigs.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Chris and Sharon both tried that hill. You can't do it without front lockers. I'm not sure if they saw what's pass that first obstacle. There's another just at the top that will be difficult to get over. I wouldn't want to have to back down that first obstacle...
well....first, that climb felt way mor crazy than what it seems in the pic....as for ability, i went really slow and careful so i can "feel" it first, yet do to time (wife=pissed=divorce), and not wanting to break no IFS...I didnt fight it, I do think i could have passed it with some more agressive moves, yet I cant tell u what would be above it....besides....if chriss gave up, who am I to play king of the hill:bandit:

btw,
thanks for spotting for us that day chris:)

great photo btw....;-)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts